Wiring Diagrams?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Wiring Diagrams?

Post by needsmorecowbel » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:08 am

You are viewing a re-constructed thread by the ANZLF recovery team. For more information click here.

"Originally Posted on:Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:46 am "

Hey guys I'm at the business end of an Electric Bass and know essentially zilch about wiring and soldering. However i am giving it a go and went out and purchased a (40 W) 20-30 dollar soldering iron. I decided against having two volume pots and a tone pot for having one volume, one tone and a switch. However i have been unable to find a diagram from the pickup manufacturer that explains the role of the 4 coloured wires (most just have black and white)...

The wire colours are Black (ground) , White (?), Red (active?) and Green (neutral?)

I have Photoshopped a diagram but alas it is incomplete.

If anyone would care to share their knowledge it would be much appreciated.
Stu

img~

Stuart

Ron Wisdom
Blackwood

Re: Wiring Diagrams?

Post by Ron Wisdom » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:08 am

Tim Mason
Myrtle

Post by Tim Mason » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:08 am

Colour coding is not universal in pickups, best to send the manufacturer a message, usually they reply fast. Then we can get that diagram done for you. I assume u'll be using 60/40 rosin core solder?

Carefull with the pots with that 40W iron, for the back of the pot it is perfect but be quick, apply the iron and solder to the pot and count 1...2...3...4...stop(roughly) practice wiring on a 50cent piece, watch for the solder to spread into the metal, then the solder has bonded with the metal to get a nice join.

As for the lugs, 40W risks damaging them as they are small and get hot fast, so be super qiuck here, count 1...and.....stop!

Here is some reading and clips that will help, feel free to ask if you get stuck :wink:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/tonefre ... dvice.html
"Strive not to succeed, but to be of value" - Albert Einstein

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:08 am

There will be two coils of wire in each pickup, each with two leads. Just about every pickup comes with a wiring diagram of some kind. If you don't have one you will need a multimeter (a useful thing to have for guitar wiring in any case) and check the resistance across pairs of the wires. If there is an infinite resistance the two wires are not part of the same coil, if there is a measurable resistance - in ohms - the two wires are each end of one coil. The two coils allow all manner of fancy wiring, the coils in and out of phase, using a single coil or two as a humbucker. The simplest wiring is just to solder one wire from each coil together so it effectively becomes one coil and the other two wires become the hot and earth wire. I have a bunch of pickup data sheets at home. If you know the brand I might have a diagram telling you which wire is which.

Even though it is 30+ years old, Donald Brosnac's book on electric guitar wiring is still very useful for lots of basic stuff. I am not sure if it is still in print, but copies should be available on the second hand market. Try abebooks.com, where I spend entirely too much money

cheers
Graham McDonald
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:08 am

G'day Stu

If you are new to soldering just be careful when doing the back of the pots.

If you apply too much solder you'll end up creating a resistor.

Regards
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:08 am

Tim Mason wrote:

Carefull with the pots with that 40W iron, for the back of the pot it is perfect but be quick, apply the iron and solder to the pot and count 1...2...3...4...stop(roughly) practice wiring on a 50cent piece for practice, watch for the solder to spread into the metal, then the solder has bonded with the metal to get a nice join.

Sometimes its prudent to clip on a temporary heatsink to vulnerable components while soldering. I used to use a couple of alligator clips.
Martin

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:08 am

Stu,

Here is a good link for a variety of wiring diagrams for you -

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/catego ... _diagrams/

Pretty clear diagrams, good options for different pickup combos with choices for how many pots etc etc. They also have a list of the colour coding (wires) according to pickup manufacturer.

Hope it helps.

Jeremy.

This is the final re-constructed message of this topic posted by the ANZLF help team.