Hide Glue: How old is too old?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Kim
Admin

Hide Glue: How old is too old?

Post by Kim » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:45 pm

Hey :)

A few months back I was involved in a glue discussion at the OLF. More specifically the topic was about hot hide glue (HHG). Some issues had been raised about the difficult some users had encountered with short open time and storage with the glue stinking and going to liquid and, well you know the story.

Anyhow I had made comment that hide glue is quite simple to mix, use, and store but like anything it does have a learning curve and that most issues are easily dealt with if one simply takes the time to understand the product a little. This of course did not go down too well with some folks who immediately took my comments to be a personal attack upon their ability to understand simple things :). But that is the nature of internet forums, some more so than others it would seem.

As that topic progressed, I went on to mention that I had in fact stored a bottle of hide glue in the fridge for over a year and that it had shown no sign whatsoever of developing an offensive odour or mold. I further explained that I had reheated that same bottle of glue on 'many' occasions, used it, and put it back in the fridge, and that contrary to the popular held belief suggesting that fresh batches of glue need to be mixed every few days for fear of spoiling, I remained confident enough that the effects of age and constant cycling from hot to cold had diminished that batch of glue's bond strength so marginally that I went on to use it to glue on a bridge, and that bridge had remained in place, and play, upon that guitar (The Matey) for over a year with no sign of lifting whatsoever. :D

Anyhow here is a copy of that post with an image I uploaded showing that bridge on the guitar. Yes it could be any bridge on any guitar but you will have to take my word that the glue was as old as I say when the bridge was glued on and that this is indeed an image of the same.
As you suspect, clean up is a matter of timing. Wait too long and it can be difficult to get off, too soon and it will smear. What you are looking for is firm gel, not just skinned over liquid, not leathery, but a firm gel. I use a chisel tipped stick and if your timing is right, the glue will just roll right off the wood so easy you will be done in a blink. It helps to dip the chisel tipped stick in the hot water of your glue pot now and then to freshen it up, wipe off the excess, and away you go.

I know lots of info is out there to say you should use distilled water or you should never heat more than 140f or you should mix this much glue with that much water etc, etc, etc but IMHO, and all of this is only my opinion so take from it what you will, that stuff is only a general guide at best and most has only come about to satisfy the modern need for people to know every specific detail before they get their hands dirty in the hope they will not need to find anything out for themselves. If you went back to 1930 and walked into a hardware store to by some HHG, at best the instructions would have read something like "1: Mix with water. 2: Heat until dissolved. 3: Apply glue as required and clamp."

Just remember, the glue has not changed since then so the same rules apply. In fact other than better purification, the glue has not changed much since the Egyptians used it well before there was a Fahrenheit or a thermometer. If you do not experiment and stick too close to a set of 'rules', you will miss out on one of the greatest benefits of the product, and that is it's flexibility in regards to the way it can be adjusted to best suit the task at hand. I have regularly heated hide glue well above 140f for repair work and made good strong glue joints with no discernible loss of strength. I have often added water to thin the glue for certain applications with no discernible loss in strength and have heated the same glue in the same bottle many times with it re-thickening to the point I have added water just to maintain what is my own preferred working viscosity which is akin to warmed honey.

I acknowledge there are opinions out there that point to studies and test which allegedly contradict what I say here about reheating, maximum heat and amount and type of water to use etc. I to have read that fooling with these things can affect the glues overall strength. In fact I will even concede that they are probably correct to a point. But IMO, if indeed these studies and opinions are correct, they are no more so than one who suggest that the horse that won by a nose, is faster than the one who ran second. Yes one was indeed faster but 'both' still ran the course on the day and within a few seconds of each other and we are only trying to achieve a good strong glue joint, not win any race.. And remember this, no matter which horse won on the day, they will both end up glue in the long run, and when that happens they will be chopped up and their relevant bits will be 'BOILED' in a big pot at a temp well over 140f until all the collagen has been rendered from them.

I am not saying here that you can just boil the crap out of your glue and not ruin it, and I am not saying that you can water it down to soup without loss of strength either, but with a bit of common sense and working within reason then there is a lot more scope to this wonderful product than first 'meats' the rib-eye. ;)

Here is some research of my own. I made a batch of HHG in early February 2008, I used plain tap water. I built a guitar and completed all sorts repaired with the same batch of glue making adjustments of water as required. After each session, the glue was stored in the fridge, not the freezer, the fridge. I then glued this bridge on to a restoration with that same batch of glue around June 2009 and after 11 month of being strung to full pitch and played daily it has not budged and I remain confident that it won't. The last bit of that batch is still in my fridge and in a pinch I would use it again and just might to prove a point because after more than 2 years it is still firm and clear, does not smell, and there is no sign of any mold or other macrobiotic activity to the naked eye.
6_bridge1_1.jpg
6_bridge1_1.jpg (116.71 KiB) Viewed 24973 times
Anyhow Gabe I am certain that if you persevere you will be richly rewarded for you efforts. It's not so much about the science than it is the feel, so grab your year old batch, divide it up, and start experimenting with heat and water and measuring the run from the stick by eye for viscosity. You don't need scales or a thermometer however I do have a pin point on the body of my warmer to indicate 140 -145f for general use and if I need it hotter I just turn it up a bit. Do some test joints and then some failure experiments. Examine if when torn apart in 24hours the joint has wood from it's mating component still attached, if it does then you know the glue is as strong as it needs to be for anything.

Cheers

Kim
Here is a link to the entire thread if you would like a look:

http://www.luthiersforum.com/forum/view ... &sk=t&sd=a

And now for some follow up:

The batch of hide glue in question was first mixed in January 2008. The bridge in the above image was then glued on to the guitar using that same batch sometime in June 2009, which was 17 month later. So here we are today, just over 16 month down the track and now that original batch of glue has reach a fully matured vintage of some '33 months old'. It is still clear, and it smells quite fresh. In fact, as you can see for yourself, it just looks like a nice clear golden jelly in the bottom of the bottle (not much left though).
old glue 6.JPG
old glue 6.JPG (29.07 KiB) Viewed 24973 times
old glue 5.JPG
old glue 5.JPG (27.32 KiB) Viewed 24973 times
So it it looks and smells OK but how is the bond strength? Well I decided to do a rough and ready test.

I took two lengths of radiata pine, old dry wood salvaged from a single bed that lay in pieces on a kerb side dump day. It is destined to be ripped into stickers for wood storage but was diverted for use in this experiment first. Each bit of pine was 700mm (28") long x 90mm (3 1/2") wide x 35mm (1 3/8") thick and each board was run through the thickness sander to be cleaned up with 80 grit abrasive ready for gluing.

One end of each board was then marked at 100mm (4") forming an indicator for the glue spread area to create a simple face to face glue joint. The 33 month old hide glue was then heated and applied liberally to just one of the marked surfaces. The joint was then bought together, slipped a little to even the spread, and clamped securely to cure.
old glue 1.JPG
old glue 1.JPG (48.92 KiB) Viewed 24973 times
Here you can see the squeeze out indicating that adequate glue was applied.
old glue 2.JPG
old glue 2.JPG (48.62 KiB) Viewed 24973 times
The joint was left clamped for app 8 hours and then the joined pine was placed vertically in a bench vice so that one piece sat low and was well supported by the jaws, and the other presented as a considerable lever with which to apply great force to the glue joint. This was done which resulted in the length of pine which was the lever then snapping cleanly above the glue joint.
old glue 3.jpg
old glue 3.jpg (108.96 KiB) Viewed 24973 times
I decided that this result may have been inconclusive as it could have been caused by an unseen fault with in the wood and what I would rather see is 'fibre tear' of the wood at the glue joint itself. I then took a piece of hardwood (jarrah) and placing it at that point which offered the most substantial support just above the unbroken piece, I took to it with a gimpy hammer wielded with unbridled vigorous aggression.
old glue 4.JPG
old glue 4.JPG (52.66 KiB) Viewed 24973 times
As you can see I again failed to get any real 'fibre tear' of the glue joint itself. But none the less I think the results are quite conclusive and I would not hesitate to use this same batch of glue to fit a bridge to a guitar again even though it is 33 month old.

So, whats is the point of this thread? Am I telling you that 'you' should use hide glue over all others?? No not at all, you can use what ever you like as far as I am concerned and most wood glues will work just fine in lutherie. My point is that I have read very much bullshit on the internet about hide glue over the years and the truth is that most of this bullshit is propagated by those who lack the patience to come to terms with what is essentially a 'very' simple and effective product. It must come from the instant gratification factor that is so much a part of today's life, because it seems to me that so many things get a bad wrap from the novice who simply can't come to terms with the fact that 'they' got it wrong. So rather than persevere, they simply place blame elsewhere and move on to "easier" solutions.

This does not just stop with glue, it goes for any number of processes from resawing to finishing and every step between and everywhere you look on the internet you will see it, "tried it and did not work", "too hard", "bad concept", and who is this advice coming from? My guess is that it is not coming from those with the perseverance to learn and develop the required skill to achieve success with the given product or method, and most times that is all skill really is, the reward of perseverance.

Cheers

Kim

Puff
Blackwood

Re: Hide Glue: How old is too old?

Post by Puff » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:12 pm

Good calls all around Kim - thanks.

Steve
Blackwood

Post by Steve » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:17 pm

Kim wrote: I took to it with a gimpy hammer wielded with unbridled vigorous aggression
:shock: Everything okay at home Kim? :D
Nice to know that it's perfectly normal to have unsweetened jelly in the bottom of the fridge - my wife will find this very reassuring - she was trying to convince me that hide glue didn't belong in the fridge.
Nice work Kim.

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:51 pm

Very interesting Kim
But I do think you should be testing for edibility too...
I tried a similar test with titebond to see if the "titebond wont adhere to cured titebond" belief was justified. I used a variable weight rather than a hammer.
No significant difference was found against control samples

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:55 pm

Gimpy hammer!!!! Gimpy hammer!!!!! bring out the gimpy hammer!!! I can hardly contain myself Kim :lol: :lol: :lol: The G word reminds me a bit of the movie Pulp Fiction, :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Cheers,,, Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

P Bill
Blackwood

Post by P Bill » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:48 am

Kim Interesting thread. My first experience with hide glue was almost a year

ago.Steep learning curve indeed ! I followed the instructions and probably

hurled a lot of perfectly good glue. I'll keep and test in future.
"Were you drying your nails or waving me good bye?" Tom Waits

Bill

vandenboom
Blackwood

Post by vandenboom » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:48 pm

Kim
I only use HHG for neck body join but keep telling myself I need to gear up properly to make it convenient to use at short notce. Taffy had some great pics in a thread a few months ago on his 'system', which I really liked.
btw, a more trivial question, where can u get those little plastic bottles...???
Frank

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:54 pm

i make and repair huge instruments and use HHG exclusively but i only ever need to make up a teaspoon of dry glue at a time. I use small vegemite jars and an upturned iron and a squirty water bottle and no water jacket and no thermometer and am ready to glue in 10 minutes from scratch. So I've never seen the need to store glue in the fridge, though I'm sure it would last ages. the 192 clear is great stuff, almost never goes off, unlike some of the manky grey stuff I got from a furniture supplier in Rozelle years ago.

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:06 pm

matthew wrote:You can't polish a turd. But you can buff it up a little ... or roll it in glitter ...
I read your signature Matthew and remembered this Myth Busters episode.

youtu.be/

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:19 am

hehehehe! great stuff. I want one. now to choose my turd ...

vandenboom
Blackwood

Post by vandenboom » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:42 pm

matthew wrote:I use small vegemite jars and an upturned iron and a squirty water bottle and no water jacket and no thermometer and am ready to glue in 10 minutes from scratch.
Matthew, KISS in operation - I like the sound of this. What do you use to dispense the glue? Frank

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:58 pm

cheap chinese hogshair paintbrush from the $2 shop with the handle shortened to 10cm.

Fibro pad on the iron softens the heat and protects against spilt glue falling into the iron. Second jar is usually just hot water.

iron set to Cotton.

the lightglobe will eventually be connected to remind me the thing is turned ON. I tend to forget, and a teaspoon or so of glue quickly dries out!
Photo on 2010-11-11 at 19.56.jpg
Photo on 2010-11-11 at 19.56.jpg (101.97 KiB) Viewed 24805 times

Matt Bach
Myrtle

Post by Matt Bach » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:33 pm

That is the coolest thing I have seen in a long time. St Vinnies here I come

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:00 am

Look for a baby food warmer while you are there, they give great control of temperature and the little bit of hot water they hold to warm the glue is real handy for clean up and they are pretty safe given the target market they were originally directed at...new mums and new babies..could not even begin to imagine the size of the settlement if they screwed up?

Avent is a beauty, look on Ebay at Cashies, or the Op shops.
Avent-bottle-and-baby-food-warmer-1283144546.jpg
Avent-bottle-and-baby-food-warmer-1283144546.jpg (18.8 KiB) Viewed 24782 times
Mine sits just a tad below midpoint of mark 1 and mark 2 on the dial and cycles happily between 140f and 150f...... perfect!

Cheers

Kim

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:16 am

I have the US version of Kim's baby bottle warmer. It works fine.

Now, I must admit that I'm really liking Matthew's setup. I really like it. Hmmm, I have a warming tray that might just work without needing to buy another iron.

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:45 am

the trick is to convince partner that current iron is old and tired and unsafe and a new one is needed ...

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:26 am

matthew wrote:the trick is to convince partner that current iron is old and tired and unsafe and a new one is needed ...
That or hope she doesn't notice the gobs of dried up hide glue on her favourite dress.
Martin

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:26 pm

Martin, I'm thinking that Matthew has a better take on this than you do Dear.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:43 pm

Lillian wrote:Martin, I'm thinking that Matthew has a better take on this than you do Dear.

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao You've just made my day Lillian as well as spitting out a mouthful of coffee!
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:40 pm

The thing that spoils hide glue is bacteria and mould. Hot glue is safe, the bugs are dead. If you put a lid on the glue when still hot, new bugs can't fall in and start to grow. So at end of session I remove brush from glue jar, drop in the hot water jar, screw a lid on the glue jar ... and go get a beer.

the other thing i do with my glue kitchen is stick a knife blade 'tween iron and fibro for when i want a hot knife.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:47 pm

Lillian wrote:Martin, I'm thinking that Matthew has a better take on this than you do Dear.
I'm too much of a skinflint to buy a second iron.....so far I've managed to do a couple of neck veneer jobs on my lute and clean the iron up and get it back to the laundry without it's absence being noticed. If the boss asks about the brown marks on the back of her Yoga pants Ill just tell her theyre a good thing as they direct the viewers gaze away from her very obvious visible knicker line.
Martin

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:43 pm

kiwigeo wrote: If the boss asks about the brown marks on the back of her Yoga pants Ill just tell her theyre a good thing as they direct the viewers gaze away from her very obvious visible knicker line.
Anyway, hide glue is an easy water cleanup job!

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:11 pm

Gawd Martin, how did you ever get married?

But I must say, I'm beginning to understand how being at work for weeks at a time works for you.

Um, ah, Fran wants to know who is getting Martin's stuff when da' boss takes him out after making the comment about visible knicker lines.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:22 pm

Lillian wrote:Gawd Martin, how did you ever get married?
It was actually a very complicated affair....it all happened in Japan. We were heading out for a coffee and half way there we suddenly decided to detour to the local City Offices and get married.
Martin

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:26 pm

kiwigeo wrote:
If the boss asks about the brown marks on the back of her Yoga pants Ill just tell her theyre a good thing as they direct the viewers gaze away from her very obvious visible knicker line.
Just explain to her that as a woman ages, the once strong and resilient muscles of youth that are situated in the lower abdomen begin to relax a little, so it is perfectly natural for her to begin to experience the odd mishap as she advance in years. Tell her that you completely understand 'her issues' and reassure her that everything is still OK, because in your eyes, she is still beautiful just like your mother. Also suggest that it may be a good idea that she skip the lentil curry from now on. With this display of insight, understanding and sensitivity, she will see that you must have searched deep within yourself to explore your feminine side, and as reward for such compassion, will no doubt go skipping gleefully into the kitchen the next time you ask her to go grab you another beer.

Yes I know, pretty good advise isn't it...I am so in tune with this relationship diplomacy stuff that I am considering starting my own 'Dear Abbey' forum :P

Cheers and happy Friday :gui

Kim