Time to buy my first router - Any tips

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Tim Mason
Myrtle

Time to buy my first router - Any tips

Post by Tim Mason » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:29 pm

You are viewing a re-constructed thread by the ANZLF recovery team. For more information click here.

"Originally Posted on:Thu Aug 26, 2010

Hi guys,

Well it seems im always in here asking you something or another, sorry Embarassed Ill make a thread contribution some day.

I am about to look into buying a decent router for building and was hoping you guys could guide me in the right direction. Im pretty clueless about specs and models that are good for working on electric guitars so feel free to school this newbie builder Very Happy

What do you guys use for routing?

Tim

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Re: Time to buy my first router - Any tips

Post by J.F. Custom » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:29 pm

Budget?

You can pay $50 to $1200... There is a fair scope. A guide to what you hope to spend and your intended use for it will give us somewhere to start.

Jeremy.

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:30 pm

I have four. for different uses
-dremel with stewmac router base for rosettes /inlays
-Laminate trimmer cheap Ryobi stays in the binding cutter machine
-GMC 1/4" plunge router for general hand held duties
-30yr old Makita 1/4" non plunge mounted upsidedown in a makeshift table for cutting Truss rod chanels.

Obviously I dont recommend GMC, and if I had to replace the Makita it would be with a 1/2" but for handheld, I would not want a 1/2" machine

Tim Mason
Myrtle

Post by Tim Mason » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:30 pm

Well, i am looking at say around 300, if i have to keep saving a little more i dont mind, i want something ill have for a long time, as the saying goes, "rich man buys once, poor man buys twice"

I need it for cavities, top carving etc... was thinking a makita trimmer :?

Insomnomaniac
Myrtle

Post by Insomnomaniac » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:31 pm

Trimmers are good for lightweight stuff, but if you're doing a lot of carving or trimming of hardwood you will probably find it's a little too lightweight. Trimmers are typically around 400 watts, where a full size router is usually in the 1200-2000 watt range. If you look at the smaller routers, a lot of them are light enough to use one handed.

It'd be hard to recommend GMC these days - they went bankrupt last year and took Triton with them! (Bastards...)

At the risk of derision, I bought a Ryobi plunge router recently which I am really impressed with. It came with 2 collets so you can use either quarter or half inch bits, it's quite light weight and I can comfortably use it one handed. It has adjustable speed settings for different materials and as well as working as a plunge router with a typical depth stop arrangement it also has a removable threaded bar that turns it into a depth-adjustable router. I'll check the model number and price when I get home, but if you're looking for a versatile router I'd recommend it in a heartbeat!

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:32 pm

I think a trimmer is probably underpowered for electrics cavities. But that said, if you buy a set of forstner bits and DRILL out most of the wood with a drill press, and use the trimmer to neaten the edges, it might do.

the secret to routing - as far as I have discovered - is to use very solid and well-designed fences and guides. And take slow shallow cuts.

Routers are horrible tools that do a great job but can rip your work - and you - to shreds in a jiffy if you lose concentration! my Makita 3612 is way overpowered for what i do, and I'm scared of it. but its a fine solid tool.

I have a $30 Aldi trimmer that does the light work but it's not very easy to attach guides to, its really flimsy. next time i'll look at that aspect first!

Luke
Blackwood

Post by Luke » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:32 pm

I always look at garage sales/markets etc for my tools and often materials too Cool before I buy new as you can often get a bargin.
My router is an older Japan made Roybi paid $50 bargain.
I never had used one before and it was a bit scary at first although have lots of experience with power tools from metal work the router was way different.

I have made great use of my local library it has heaps of books but also DVD's on how to use these types of tools SAFELY plus all manner of wood working info, its been a valuable resource that is free.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:33 pm

I've got a Maktec laminate Trimmer and 1/2 router. They are made by Makita, and for the price of them, (a fraction of the Makita) I can't fault them for what they are. The 1/2 lives in a make shift router table and the laminate trimmer gets used for flush trimming and binding rebates.

Puff
Blackwood

Post by Puff » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:33 pm

Insomnomaniac wrote:
Trimmers are good for lightweight stuff, but if you're doing a lot of carving or trimming of hardwood you will probably find it's a little too lightweight. Trimmers are typically around 400 watts, where a full size router is usually in the 1200-2000 watt range. If you look at the smaller routers, a lot of them are light enough to use one handed.

It'd be hard to recommend GMC these days - they went bankrupt last year and took Triton with them! (Bastards...)

At the risk of derision, I bought a Ryobi plunge router recently which I am really impressed with. It came with 2 collets so you can use either quarter or half inch bits, it's quite light weight and I can comfortably use it one handed. It has adjustable speed settings for different materials and as well as working as a plunge router with a typical depth stop arrangement it also has a removable threaded bar that turns it into a depth-adjustable router. I'll check the model number and price when I get home, but if you're looking for a versatile router I'd recommend it in a heartbeat!

No derision here. Great advice.
800w would be plenty but less would not be enough. Laminate trimmers tend to be higher speed and burning out bits is not cool Embarassed 1200w is a fair weight beast, possibly overkill but great if you can handle it.
Half inch and collets to reduce down- 10mm, 8mm, 6mm etc is the way to go.
We'll take the weight of derision maybe but in amongst Makita, Hitachi, Black and Decker, Dremels and copies thereof, air-powered die-grinders (up to 70,000rpm) and a couple of dental handpeices (450,000rpm) there is an Ozito- bought secondhand for $40 that has done well over 100 hours in the replicator ( a shop built adaption of the Copy Carver concept) without a blink. Keep the workload a shade on the light side of reasonable. Any tool you make struggle will struggle to survive :cry:

Pete Howlett
Myrtle

Post by Pete Howlett » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:34 pm

I have 13:

Mof Elu 11 overam plunge router 2000Watt for profile routing - 1/2", goes like a rocket and fitted with spiral cut CNC router bit
2 Hitachi laminate trimmers - discontinued TR6 - purchased new used for trimming back over hangs
2 Trend Elu mof96 1/4" routers - bought on eBay: one permanently held in small table for bottom following template trimming and one freehand to accept guide collets for doing slotted headstock etc
I Bosch POF 500 upended on small table for top template profiling
3 Hitachi laminate trimmers dedicated to 1.5mm, 2.5mm and abalone binding of the top edge
1 Hitachi trimmer in deSoutter pantograph arm fitted with 1.5mm binding cutter for back binding
Kress 900 - don't know what to do with this at the moment since it was bought for a CNC machine I was going to build but never did... it's a single head so it's problematic what I can do with it.
Bosh Pof500 mounted at 15 degrees in a dedicated table for making kerfed linings.
Dremmel bought off eBay used exclusively for brace notches...

I bought most of these tools off eBay because they are not in constant use. I've had 4 deWalts - two died and I sold 2...

Depending on what you want to do start with a trimmer, then get an Elu 96. Try for the European made models (first in Switzerland then I think they went to Italy). These tools are brilliant. Get them off eBay. You'll then need to buy some binding cutters with bearings. Each of my trimmers has these. Before when I only had my TR6 and Mof 96 I used the adjustable guide in the laminate trimmer combined with a Sneider Gramil to do binding. It is essential that you make a simple router table (I have a video of this) that you just fix to your bench when you need it. Both mine have trimmers in them. My next router will have a 2.8mm cutter upended in it for saddle slots. I'll probably buy a Bosch Pof500 for that off eBay.

I know this sounds like overkill but I never have to worry about setting up my tools and I'm way behind Olson who has about 60!

Puff
Blackwood

Post by Puff » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:35 pm

Strewth - yes it does sound like overkill. Got the impression the young Digger was looking for advice on a router for digging pickup and maybe trem and hardtail cavities. IMHO these are not within laminate trimmer territory.

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:35 pm

Tim ,, if you're into solid body routing i'd say you need something with a bit of guts, Look at something like a 1/2'' Makita or Hitachi packing a couple of horses, these makes are good quality and value for money. Cheers Rod.

Pete Howlett
Myrtle

Post by Pete Howlett » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:36 pm

1/2" router is the thing - oh and remember guys - this is my job... I need all those tools to get the price right for my instruments whilst trying to pay the bills. but that, is another argument isn't it?

Tim Mason
Myrtle

Post by Tim Mason » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:37 pm

Wow, thanks everyone. Where to start, well no trimmer, i guess ill be looking for a decent 1200-2000W settup that takes both 1/4" and 1/2" bits. Ill be dealing with alot of solid body work to start with, thanks for the heads up!

Peter, thats an impressive settup Shocked For now i hope i can get away with one or two routers, i plan to build a table in a while, also a copy carver eventually, i see you can buy plans for them so ill have a look into that down the line.

Still it would be great to start with your table build Very Happy But first i should get a router. Ill keep an eye out on ebay for a while :wink:

Cheers everyone

Puff
Blackwood

Post by Puff » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:37 pm

For Pete - Yep
For Tim - Follow Insomaniac. IMHO

Pete Howlett
Myrtle

Post by Pete Howlett » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:38 pm

For solid body routing you want a 1/2" plunge facility job. I've just looked at Aus eBay and there is practically nothing there. Is this usual guys?

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:38 pm

If you can afford it buy a Makita.

There simply isn't a comparison in Australia for a tool that has virtually no slop in the bearings and will last forever.(for that price)

Close second is the Maktec range. Still made by Makita but is their serious home handy man range. I have one dedicated to routing binding channels.

Other than that it's 2 Makita mini trimmers and a couple of Makita 1/2" plunge routers.

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:40 pm

Tim Mason wrote:
"rich man buys once, poor man buys twice"

I guess that rich man bought the Festool but I don't reckon the poor man could kill the Makita with a a big stick anyway.

Jim

someone please turn up the Tele!

Dave Anderson
Blackwood

Post by Dave Anderson » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:40 pm

I've always used Porter Cable routers and laminate trimmers. They're
very well made tools and I've never had a problem with them.

Pete Howlett
Myrtle

Post by Pete Howlett » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:41 pm

Porter Cable is a very American brand - can't get them easily here in Europe and I suspect they are probably almost unknown down under. Fortunately for us Europe imports mainly Far eastern brands and these days, these are very good.

Tim Mason
Myrtle

Post by Tim Mason » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:41 pm

Toejam wrote:

someone please turn up the Tele!

I swear an unknown force keeps telling me to build a Telecaster

tim mullin

Post by tim mullin » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:42 pm

Most guitar makers will acquire multiple routers before too long. If I had to indentify my most versatile router, it would have to be my Bosch GMR1 "Palm router" (Australasian model -- near identical units sold in North America as the Bosch "Colt" (not to be confused with Colt-brand tools sold at the Warehouse!), and in UK as GKF600). It is a very convenient shape, easy to control (1.5kg), has a 1/4"collet, but has an honest 1HP, which is on the upper end of so-called laminate trimmers, and can easily do many of the tasks in lutherie. Tool reviews have raved about this little fella with its surprising grunt. Mine is used for binding channels and saddle slots.

My second-most valuable unit is a Triton TRA001 -- a big brute with a nominal 3-1/4 HP and both 1/4 and 1/2" collets. Mine stays mounted in the extension of my table saw -- I really wouldn't want to use it freehand -- it's scary enough secured to the table with a big-ass template-following bit.

The great thing about routers as tools, is that they are common gifts that hang around people's homes and then get listed for a song on auction sites (which is where I got my Triton). You'll often find barely-used mid-range Makita and Dewalt products showing up on auction sites -- do your homework, be patient and you can expand your collection at reasonable cost. (edit: in fact, there is right now a Hitachi M12SA2 3-1/4 HP brute listed on Trademe with bids under NZ$300)

The surprise to your wallet will be the cost of bits! Make sure you also budget ear and eye protection.

Insomnomaniac
Myrtle

Post by Insomnomaniac » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:43 pm

Ok, the router I mentioned earlier is a Ryobi ERT1250VN. It won't be the best for every job, obviously, but at $119 it's a very versatile tool which will do just about anything you throw at it in the meantime, while you keep saving for a good trimmer to do the really fiddly stuff. I've used mine for everything from trenching out stair stringers to cutting mouldings and trims for doors, and have been very happy with it. The micro-adjustment rod I mentioned is a particularly useful feature which a lot of (even quite expensive) routers don't have.

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:44 pm

Hi Tim,

Finally I get to reply!

I've got Porter Cable (yes Pete - we do know them down under) brand both in my laminate trimmer and my larger router. These are beautiful tools no doubt but no longer made in 220-240v and therefore no longer imported, so unfortunately you are out of luck there. These are my workhorses but I've also got your regular dremel, another copy of, a 200K air operated grinder and a foredom style carver too. All are very useful for different jobs.

So far as you are concerned though, yes a laminate trimmer will make harder work than necessary of your intended jobs - you would be pushing it hard on solid body cavities etc. However it is great for binding channels and the like.

Personally, for your budget and requirements, I'd be looking at the Triton MOF001 unit. There are two Triton routers - a 3 1/4HP TRA001 beast and a smaller 2HP MOF001 model. They are quality routers for the respective prices, with features hard to find on other models. The 3 1/4HP unit, even though compact for its power compared to others, is really too big for freehand/plunge use on a guitar body. The 2HP model though is a great design. About the same size as my Porter Cable - should it ever die; that would be my replacement choice. It will take 1/2" and 1/4" bits (the most common style here in Aus - we rarely use 6mm, 8mm or 10mm bits in routers here); has plenty of grunt for your requirements but is still small and compact enough to use freehand. The thing I particularly like is the rack and pinion height adjustment - really easy to use. It still has the spring plunge action but this is hard to use to set a particular height accurately. On one handle is a pull trigger that engages the rack and pinion allowing you to simply turn the handle to adjust the height - much easier than plunging or setting a depth stop and plunging. On top of this it has micro adjustment in the same vane which actually incrementally moves the router up and down. Other routers 'micro-adjusters' often just set a depth stop to plunge to. It is just a very user-friendly router and the years I had dealing with them, I never saw a warranty claim.

There is a guy auctioning them new on ebay ex. Melbourne at the moment. If you are interested, just do a search for Triton MOF001 to see a picture. I think they retail for about $279 or so but you may pick up a bargain under auction. Two finish in the next few days I saw.

Otherwise, as others have said, things like the Makitas are plenty powerful enough and you couldn't kill it if you tried but IMO, those I've seen are more rudimentary in their design and features by todays standards.

Hope it helps.

Jeremy.

Pete Howlett
Myrtle

Post by Pete Howlett » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:45 pm

What do people use a hand held 3 1/4HP router for? Gosh that is so hefty... great in a table router I'd imagine. The Triton brand is present in the UK but not big. Regional variants are interesting aren't they?