Bracing and other questions

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

AidanHarris
Kauri

Bracing and other questions

Post by AidanHarris » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:26 pm

G'day all

I have just finished my first build ever (being an archtop, will share when i get pictures. My camera broke and getting a new one for chirssy so around then)

Anyways, Im already wanting to make numbers 2 and 3 and just keep making, I really enjoy the whole experiance. Im not really planning to be following a plan or book for next build being an acoustic but if i have to i have to. I dont really want to make something as big as a dreadnaught but not wanting a parlor as its a waste of wood for what i have (got some left over walnut from earlier in the year from memory its 510 long? just for the back i have other bits for the sides) What would be a good style/size for me to do between the two sizes, wanting a medium sized acoustic.

Then there is the question of bracing the top. Whats the deal with different styles and such. Ive seen soo many variations and names and its all a bit confusing. It would be nice to know what the different types are used for so i can determine whats best for me.

Yeah, so any help will be much appreciated.

Merry christmas and happy new years. hope you all stay safe

Aidan
The best wood is in the crotch

ozwood
Blackwood

Re: Bracing and other questions

Post by ozwood » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:49 pm

Hi Aiden,

I would start, as many do with a Book by Johnathon Kinkade "Build your own acoustic guitar" it comes with a set of plans for a middle sized Guitar and steps you through it. A favorite Mid sized guitar of mine is a 000 , plans are available from Tim Spittal as is the Book , he has a link in the suppliers section of this site , and also sells top grade tonewood. good luck , I look forward to seeing your Pics.

Paul.
Paul .

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:03 am

Go with something like a 000 for a steel string, and follow a plan. Countless guitars have been built to roughly the same specs as those pioneered by Martin. It's a system that works and provides a baseline for you to compare what you end up with against others you are likely to pick up and play in a music shop.

Without having built several guitars, you aren't going to have any idea what the various bracing patterns are going to do for you in terms of tone and response. Let alone the infinite variation you can get with changing dimensions, placement and species of wood.

There's no quick answer for whats best, but there is nothing like getting in a glueing bits of wood together.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:07 am

Hi Aidan
I used the Kinkade book for my first guitar and thought it was very good. You definitely need a detailed plan. The book comes with one for a 000 or OM. If you want a different style you can get plans from many places (see the plans section of this forum). If you don't want an OM a L-00 is also a good mid-size design. As for bracing - this is where things get varied and potentially tricky. Probably best to stick to the standard X-bracing as in the plans for your first couple of guitars (once you get the bug for it you will make more than one).

Bring your questions and problems here. I am still a beginner and I find this to be the best forum on the planet.

Enjoy it!
Mark