duh Easter Lily Build

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

duh Padma
Blackwood

duh Easter Lily Build

Post by duh Padma » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:06 am

21 January 2010

The Easter Lily Build...

a fully carved arch top, 6 stringer, with the f holes being carved lily flowers opening up like side ports on the top. Fully carved head stock, back, ribs heal and tailpiece. Thats right ... an arch top with carved flowers for "f" holes.

It was originally designed as a dulcitar for Stephanie...but seems like she has decided against it. Oh well. So now me gonna build it as a Padmazookie ~ thats a 3 stringer in doubles for a total of six.

Yup, me really cant see doing a Carved Easter Lily build in anything but white woods (Holly). Then gilding the carvings. But this top is the prototype carving so it gonna be a lutz , cedar back and wishbone neck.

The sketches show both a traditional guitar peg head and a Violin style peg box. I would like to go with the voluted scroll but turn it in to lily blossoms. First me carve the top and then we see.

Now this ain't gonna be no simple pen knife whittling job. So here be some sketch work.

Cedar wishbone neck and ribs, spruce linings, with a carved cedar back,
the ribs are 3/16 inches thick...das so me can do some real funkie
relief carving in them some were down the road. The back plate is
carved on both sides. Looks like its gonna be about 24 maybe 24 1/4 inch
string length or there abouts. If you are not familiar with wishbone construction,
just look at any of me other builds found in "the Padma Builds" sub forum
at http://www.luthierforum.com

In the first pic you can see the wishbone neck and back are from the same stick of
cedar that me scored from the lumber yard. Kinda nice grain eh.

You can see how the "f" holes are starting to form from the lilly flowers.

It ain't all that easy getting a nice curve happening to the top with all them flower petals in the way. Gonna be a real challenge carving out the back to maintain a consistently graduating slope from the center of the plate through to the perimeter while conforming to the profile of the flowers at the same time...Of course I could just dish out the back of the
plate but then that would be leaving too much mass of wood in the flower petals which really would mess up the plates sonics.

Now for any of you who are not familiar with me madness, don't go be askin duh Padma
about thicknesses or measurements...me don't got any, me don't use a tape measure and very seldom consult my own drawings, let alone pay attention to them. Me build by the feel between me fingers,the grind in me gut, and the song in me heart. Besides, me calipers fell behind the work bench and I have no intentions of diggein them out for an experimental instrument.
Don't know how to read them fangeld things anyways.

The top is a chunk of Curly Bear from Mario and only the top of the top
has been carved so far. The "f" holes have been drilled through on an angle
which shows best in the last pic with the 6 chisels stuck in the holes and are
fanned out which may give some indication as to how the air and hence
the sound gonna be moveing out from the instrument.

In the above pic you can see 3 pencil lines in the center of the top...
the violin style bridge gonna come some wears between them bottom two lines.

Over the next little while I will be refining the carving of the flowers with the disguised "f" holes
and of course the curve of the top. I will post again when I get to that
stage. However, carving any detail in spruce is an anus horriblus experience that takes time so don't be holding your breath for the next set of pics.

======================================================================

Feb 9, 2011

Yup is been over a year now. and well me really wants this finished for Ester so...

Hogging out the back

These 2 black guide lines are the "f" holes of the lilies bells.

Here you can see the "cliff" or step were the flowers bell is gonna transit on a diagonal from the in side to the outside, while morphing to the traditional "F" hole shape. And no, me ain't got something better to be doing.

One can start to appreciate whats really happening in this carving of the lilies when some light shines through....long way to go yet. Kinda pretty eh. Gee, you think me should install a light bulb and batteries? Naw. Oh and we don't talk about the two air head (that wood be me) holes in the plate.

In this pic you can see the blind knot that opened up and then disappeared During the carving. It may have been very small and disappeared but the rippling effects through the grain are a real carving pain in the ask me no questions.

Me post again when the top is finished carving.

blessings
duh Padma

Nick
Blackwood

Re: Duh Easter Lily Build

Post by Nick » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:01 am

Certainly can't accuse you of being 'conventional' can we Padma!?! Another interesting project you have & I love the shot/effect of the backlit plate with the light coming through the holes (you'll have to mount LED's in the box to give a similar effect during use! :lol: :lol: ). Do you just build for appearance & what sound it makes is what sound it makes or have you cunningly worked out that you will have enough soundhole area for the sound you want it to produce?
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Daniel_M
Blackwood

Re: duh Easter Lily Build

Post by Daniel_M » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:27 am

That carving is just breath taking. I look forward to watching this beautiful instrument take shape.

Thanks for sharing Padma! :cl :cl :cl :cl

duh Padma
Blackwood

Post by duh Padma » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:43 am

Nick wrote:Certainly can't accuse you of being 'conventional' can we Padma!?!.....

Do you just build for appearance & what sound it makes is what sound it makes or have you cunningly worked out that you will have enough soundhole area for the sound you want it to produce?

Some are out and out "built for sonics and others are out and out "pop your eyeballs show stoppers."
Others are just machinations of an insane mind.

All are based on me demented minds journey down the Rabbit Hole of wish bone construction techniques.

Me very seldom work from drawings (only if a client is involved)
Me don't normally use rules or measuring devices, much preferring the feel of the plate between me fingers and whats moving in side me gut, (food excluded.)

So, sound holes be an educated guess... and if they be too small then me makes this hole in the top under the cantilevered fret board...end of problem.

Simple eh.

Daniel_M wrote:That carving is just breath taking. I look forward to watching this beautiful instrument take shape.

Thanks for sharing Padma! :cl :cl :cl :cl

You are most welcome Daniel,
Thank you for likeing it.
Your donations* to
Duh Padmas
South Island Vacation Fund and be made to

duh Padma
c/o dis here web site.

blessings
duh Padma

* cash only in an envelope, sorry no plastic or paypal accepted.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:49 pm

duh Padma wrote: So, sound holes be an educated guess... and if they be too small then me makes this hole in the top under the cantilevered fret board...end of problem.

Simple eh.
Cunning bugger indeed! :D
"Jesus Loves You."

duh Padma
Blackwood

Post by duh Padma » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:03 pm

Nick wrote:
Cunning bugger indeed! :D

Not really Nick,

Me borrowed the idea from the Pipa, or Chinese 4 string "guitar"

look at pic...see - no sound hole.

Its rather small and is under the bridge.

So if they can stick theirs under the bridge me can stick mine under the fret board.

blessings
duh Padma

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:35 pm

Another fascinating build Padma. What do you call the tool you are using to hog out the material in the belly of the top? And any idea where to source one?

It sure looks like it does the trick on Spruce. How do you reckon it would go on harder woods?
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

duh Padma
Blackwood

Post by duh Padma » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:05 pm

Allen,

Its called a Pfeil Scorp for hollowing out bowls.

http://woodcarvingsupplies.usanethosting.com/WCCAT.pdf pg 31

http://www.classichandtools.com/acatalo ... nives.html

This tool I in inherited form my sister who was a carver of wooden decoy ducks.

It was perfectly symmetrical and very sharp when I first started using it. It is difficult to hone and has started to bend out of symmetry as I tend to favor pressure on one side more than the other.

It carves soft woods real easy, is very fast and fun to use. I have used it on birch with no problems. Birch being slightly softer than maple. Since it came in to my hands, I no longer use chisels to bulk out the plates.

If you ever see one grab it. They truly are great for carving plates.

blessings
duh
Padma
Last edited by duh Padma on Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:12 pm

Allen wrote:Another fascinating build Padma. What do you call the tool you are using to hog out the material in the belly of the top? And any idea where to source one?

It sure looks like it does the trick on Spruce. How do you reckon it would go on harder woods?
It's probably one of these: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200182 ... Scorp.aspx
Martin

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:11 pm

Allen wrote:Another fascinating build Padma. What do you call the tool you are using to hog out the material in the belly of the top? And any idea where to source one?

Carba-Tec carry them Allen. This is the one Padma is using and the same that Martin linked to O/S -

http://www.carbatec.com.au/pfeil-scorp- ... ter_c19848

Pfeil do a couple of larger versions too that Carba-Tec sell, but they may be getting a little too big for the job.

As for hardwood, the steel is very high quality as with all Pfeil tools. Bear in mind as Padma said, sharpening/honing can be a pain. The same can really be said for any carving tool though - it is just another skill to learn. They do not have the 'meat' a chisel does so you do need to keep it sharp to perform as it should - there is no forcing or coercing it with a blunt edge. That thinner body is probably what has led to the Pads' patented ergonomic version too. :wink: Nothing to fret over should any change of shape occur in time; should not effect its function.

Of course, if you really want to hog the material quickly, you could always go for one of these -

http://www.carbatec.com.au/pfeil-round- ... rge_c21547

:lol:

Jeremy.

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:38 pm

Song for maPad to the popular tune Pinball wizard

Ever since he was a young boy he gouged and carved em all
From lilies,lins and Padzooks to ukes and guitars small
We aint met nothin like him in any forums hall
Lucky he's a luthier sure is a good call

Steve

duh Padma
Blackwood

Post by duh Padma » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:08 am

Well bless upon the Steve,

It is rare in this day and age to be honoured in song.
Me thanks you from me heart.

Ya know, peoples is funny
Just like the luthier forums.

Some like anzlf are way layed back and supper friendly
and others, well they wanna dunk you in hide glue and role you around in the sawdust.
I like it hear at anzlf.
Me has met a lot a really nice people that arn't full of themselves or their "Official" luthier status.
You dudes are warm, kind hearted and very sharing and don't seem to mind me running amuck around this here forum, thank you.

Blessings Steve,
thank you
duh Padma

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:09 am

Ya otta see us when we knock back a couple of stubbies. :drink2
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

duh Padma
Blackwood

Post by duh Padma » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:19 am

Yes, the Oz stamina and consumption of libationous intoxicants is legendary.

Perhaps if me make it down under to me daughters wedding, thats if it happens, we can address a few of these things you call stubbies.

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:52 am

Thanks Padma glad you like the tune, and ask Allen to make sure they are "Darwin Stubbies"

Steve

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:58 am

Just make sure you get the phrasing right when you say the word "stubbies" Padma, that was also the tradename for a brand of shorts that were typically very short & designed to be a 'snug' fit thus displaying the family jewels for all & sundry (more commonly refered to as budgie smugglers for obvious reasons :wink: ). It is possible to be drinking stubbies whilst wearing Stubbies but not advised.
"Jesus Loves You."

duh Padma
Blackwood

Post by duh Padma » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:03 am

Nick wrote:Just make sure you get the phrasing right when you say the word "stubbies" Padma, that was also the tradename for a brand of shorts that were typically very short & designed to be a 'snug' fit thus displaying the family jewels for all & sundry (more commonly refered to as budgie smugglers for obvious reasons :wink: ). It is possible to be drinking stubbies whilst wearing Stubbies but not advised.

Yo, Nick,

Me thinks me getting the jist of your drift mate.

You down unders (pun in tended) have a healthy sense of humour.

blessings

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:04 am

Please note that the word "stubbies" refers to a number of things here in Australia
Attachments
stubbies.jpg
stubbies.jpg (7.92 KiB) Viewed 23296 times
Martin

duh Padma
Blackwood

Post by duh Padma » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:05 am

duh Padma
Blackwood

Post by duh Padma » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:55 pm

Ok dudes,

here be the final stages...me actually stringing her up tomorrow. Final pics on Easter.

Ya, she was suppose to get a carved treatment on the head stock and the ribs were made extra thick for carving as well, but gee, this sucker been hanging on me wall for over a year and she was only suppose to be a quick prototype build so me skipped the rest of the bling and bound her in what appears to be lace wood that me got from a skid.

Cleaning up the Lily flowers.

Routing jig to cut the little pocket to hold the thingamajig that the wire from the tail pin to the tail piece crosses over. Ya me cant remember the proper words.

Been slightly bursted and now masking off the carvings to spray the mica frosting.

blessings

duh Padma

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Post by liam_fnq » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:07 pm

Nice work Pad. Six Mick Jaggers coming at me like a buzzard in the night.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:59 am

Hey Padi,

You really do this look well.

The carving, even the finish is easily identifiable as yours. There is a certain warmth left in each instrument from the skill of your hands and CNC could never copy that...you own this look Duh Padma its as unique as you are and that's saying something. 8)

Cheers

Kim

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:21 am

Great, great, great! I am almost speechless!
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:14 am

Loving the subtle burst Pad & I think the official term for the "thingamajig" is a "black knobby thing"! :wink: Nice job with the Lillies too, you've turned the soundholes into a work of art! The airbrush looks as though you've used it once or twice before too! :shock:
"Jesus Loves You."

duh Padma
Blackwood

Post by duh Padma » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:22 pm

Ok duders...

Here she be, all finished. In time for the Ester bunny.

Sonics...well kinda treble, high ringing, and weak bass, to be figured with that much mass still left in the top from the carvings, defiantly a lead instrument or a gentle strummer. The concept of carved sound ports for "F" holes would probably work well on a 17" arch top...Hmmm...

Thats it.

blessings
duh Padma