Australian Red Mahogany

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Australian Red Mahogany

Post by Tod Gilding » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:30 pm

Hi All, I'm new on the forum,I am a budding luthier (actively practicing), I have just finished a Strat type build useing Australian Red Mahogany ( Eucalyptus resinifera) Found it to be a great timber, I am currently starting an acoustic build useing this timber as back and sides also neck, bridge and fretboard.The thing is, I have never heard of anyone useing this beautifull timber in luthiery, google searches turn up nothing, Am I the only one ? or has some one here used this Timber ?
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

Allen
Blackwood

Re: Australian Red Mahogany

Post by Allen » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:00 am

Welcome to the forum. Can you add your name to your posts so we can get to know you. You may add it to your signature that you have access to via your User Control Panel.

I've not worked with this wood, so have no other comment about it's suitability.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:51 pm

Tod, Very Generally I would say that most Eucalypts are not the best choice for back and sides of an acoustic. Some have made nice guitars from Tasmanian Oak aka Alpine Ash but me I wouldn't go past many of our great cabinet timbers like Blackwood, QLD Maple, WA Sheoak, QLD Walnut and many others. I feel red mahogany would be too heavy for a neck for example. Probably the fact that there are so many other more suitable choices is the reason that you cant find anyone using it in a lutherie application. Where I come from it is mainly considered a construction timber especially for use in the ground as it is considered durable.
Not trying to dissuade you but that is my take on why you cant find any info about it as a tonewood. I am not saying that a good instrument could not be made from it as I have never used it and not likely to as I would reach for some of the timbers that I have mentioned above first.

John
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:59 pm

Pardon the ignorance but is there any difference between AU 'red' mahogany and AU 'rose' mahogany??

Cheers

Kim

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:24 pm

I did a search on them when I first saw this. It appears that they are different species.

Red Mahogany - Eucalyptus resinifera, E. pellita. Family: Myrtaceae

Rose Mahogany - Dysoxylum fraseranum Family: Meliaceae
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:24 am

Welcome to the forum Tod and if you are the only one then good on you for taking a tangent, please let us know how it goes for back and sides. There are some fancy looking bits of Euc laying around, I have five sets of my local stringy bark drying (E. Tetradonta) with a nice bit of chainsaw figure (that typical euc broad curly figure that is on 45 degrees that reminds me of chainsaw cutter marks when you rip) It has a great ring to it when tapped so am looking forward to seeing it in a guitar.

Jim

Life is good when you are amongst the wood
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:36 am

Yes Allen and Kim they are both very different trees and they both grow around here. The Rose Mahogany is also called NSW scented Rosewood and is a rainforest tree. It is a lovely fine grained cabinet wood. My first three guitars had necks made from it from a piece that was given to me. It is very durable as that piece lay in a paddock for 60 or 70 years on the Comboyne plateau before I received it. There used to be so much of it around but it is scarce today. The scent is distinctive and sweetly spicy. It used to be used a lot in housed too for paneling and architraves and skirtings etc. It is a beautiful deep red wine colour with very fine pores.
Red Mahogany on the other hand is a eucalyptus and used to be the first choice for house piers in the old days because it was the most durable in the ground and the termites would look for other food before they reluctantly came to eating your piers.:)
Both these trees are hardwoods by classification but around here the old timbergetters used to put the Rose Mahogany (Dysoxylum fraseranum) in a broad group that they called "softwoods" which would include Red Cedar, white Cedar, Coachwood, and others. Basically anything that was not a eucalypt and grew in the rain forest or "scrub" or "brush".

John
Last edited by woodrat on Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve
Blackwood

Post by Steve » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:41 am

Allen wrote:I did a search on them when I first saw this. It appears that they are different species.
Red Mahogany - Eucalyptus resinifera, E. pellita. Family: Myrtaceae
Rose Mahogany - Dysoxylum fraseranum Family: Meliaceae
...and then there's a third species in the Red Mahogany suite: E. scias which occurs down on the south coast of NSW. Most people refer to Rose Mahogany as Rosewood, the rainforest cabinet species.
I had a squiz in Keith Bootle's Wood Properties book - I've only seen young plantation red mahogany, so was worried about stability, but it seems to be in the same ball-park as the other eucs that people do use for guitar making (Jarrah, Alpine Ash). Like John says the density is quite a bit higher, but after all these are indicative figures that can vary within a single tree, let alone between different trees - you may find a lower density piece. Either way, if you've got some pretty timber & lots of time, have a go.
Steve

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:58 am

Hi All,
Well it looks like I asked this Question in the right forum, Some good answers that make sense, Thanks for the replies.
I think I will push on with this build,mainly as a learning curve and the fact that I got this timber free ,and have noted some of the concerns re the weight etc, I think If it turns out to be too unsuitable then I have at least found a great(Plentiful in this area) timber for use as fretboards and bridges due to it's density.
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:07 am

John, I was wondering, what timbers local to the Hastings area would you consider a good back and side choice ?
Tod

John Lennon

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:23 am

Hi Tod, Here in the Hastings as well as a lot of the east coast there is a timber that the locals call Sally Wattle. Sally Wattle is actually Blackwood...great for guitars.

How far along in your build are you?

John

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:23 am

Thanks John,
Sally Wattle Hey !!!! I have a couple of contacts in the Wauchope area, I might see if I can get hold of some.

The build is early stages, have just milled to suitable billets, So a long way to go, my employer keeps rudely interupting me :D
Tod

John Lennon

stopper
Sassafras

Post by stopper » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:54 pm

Welcome Tod,
I'd go along with blackwood as a good choice. It's a proven performer. Make sure it is quarter sawn.
regards
Steve