Giving the MEI heat blanket a work out

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Allen
Blackwood

Giving the MEI heat blanket a work out

Post by Allen » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:04 pm

Well, I've given my new MEI blanket a bit of a workout in the last few days. I just bought a basic home light switch box to wire the blanket into with a heavy duty power cord going to the mains. The switch box sits next to my bending form so its easy to reach if I need to turn the heat off.

The blanket gets very hot, very fast, so don't even think of leaving it unattended. I did get a little singed by touching the metal slats to check if they were hot enough, so now I just have a spritz bottle near by to give them a shot to see if they sizzle.

I had a set of Qld. Black Walnut that I had thicknessed to 2.8 mm. I gave it a bit of a soak and then wrapped it in 2 layers of kitchen paper, then soaked this as well. I put down one stainless slat, then the wood, blanket next and finally the last slat. The steam started rising really quickly and I started to bend. I thought that it might have been getting a little too hot so I turned off the power for a time, then turned it back on. This side ended up getting some cracks in the tight bends. The second side I did everything the same but wrapped in Al-foil to trap the steam, and kept the heat on longer before I tried to put any pressure on. This one came out better, but still had one small crack in the upper bout.

I thicknessed another side set to .080" and bent it with the Al-foil treatment and I bent perfectly. I now know that Qld. Walnut is much more brittle and harder to bend than any other wood I've tried as yet.

I also bent up the lining strips that I use to make my solid linings. I just wet them down, placed the blanket and slat over top of them and bent away. Took only minutes from start to finish.

So far there has only been the slightest scorch marks on the very outside of the kitchen paper, so I might be getting a feel for how long to have the power on. MEI's controller would be a really nice addition to the set up, but that will have to go on the wish list.

Up until now, I've bent with 3, 150 watt bulbs in a fox-style bender. This worked good but did take a long time. I don't know how it would have handled the Qld. Walnut though. I've also use an electric bending iron. The iron I find works best on bindings, not so great with sides. Takes me way to long to get to the final shape.

For the price of the blanket from MEI I wish I had got one first up. If you're going to build more than one instrument, then a heat blanket is a must have in my opinion.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Serge
Blackwood

Post by Serge » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:52 am

Hi Allen, i'm happy to hear that it went rather well for you with the blanket, i bought mine when i was building guitar no 2 and never regretted it, i use 3 x 150 watts bulbs along with the blanket and love how the bending machine gets warm quickly, it sure makes the bending process much easier.

You're right, never ever leave the blanket unattended for even a minute, when i start the bending process, i lock myself in the shop and put my timer on ...and some music too! :D

Think safety

Serge
Jesus, family, friends, guitar and mandolin : D

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:48 am

Good to see yore up and runn'in Allen, don't know what happened to Jim Foote as far as offering advice goes, his thread is dead, but i trust he did look after you price wise.

cheers

Kim

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:22 am

Yah, The blanket with thermocouple and shipping was just a few bucks over the $100. Took 3 weeks to ship as they say on their web site. And the mail had it here in a week.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:33 am

Good deal Allen, you gotta be happy with that.

Happy bending :wink: