New Bending Iron Died

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

New Bending Iron Died

Post by ozziebluesman » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:21 am

Hello everyone,

Well the new bending iron arrived and this weekend was going to be the bending phase of my guitar build. Started out real good and I think I have the feel for it. Then the iron died. Checked out all the obvious causers but the iron is dead. Damm !!!!

Has anyone had problems with bending irons? I was reccomended by a friend to use the iron at 6 which I did. It worked for about half an hour and then died. It will not heat up at all now!!! Looks like the heating element is broken. Wonder how warranty will go? LMI are pretty good dudes to deal with!!!

Interested if anyone else has had problems. Or if you have some advice on how to use the iron it will be greatly recieved.

BTW i have the lower bout curved nicely. Yippee !!!!

Happy New Year everyone.

Cheers

Alan

Dave Anderson
Blackwood

Post by Dave Anderson » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:49 am

I have never heard of one failing like that Alan.
I would wager that LMI will replace it right away though!
They are great about things like this.
Dave Anderson
Port Richey,Florida

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:56 am

Probably a silly reply, but was the iron designed for the correct voltage?

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:27 am

I bought my iron from Australian Luthier Supplies. Looks identical to the one that LMI sells. So far have had no problems with it.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:11 am

Hello Dave. Thats why I bought the iron from LMI. Their service is great.

Dennis I ordered an international model, 220v and the box the iron come in was marked the same. There is no voltage marked on the unit itself?

Yep Allen it is a Ibex Bending Iron, same as yours.

I've emailed LMI so we will see what happens from here.

Thanks for all your advice.

Cheers

Alan

Serge
Blackwood

Post by Serge » Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:58 pm

Hi Alan, i think that you will get a new bending iron in no time at all, LMI has always treated me well and i have heard similar stories as yours that ended well so it's all gonna work in your favor my good mate!

Serge
Jesus, family, friends, guitar and mandolin : D

Ron Wisdom
Blackwood

Post by Ron Wisdom » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:28 pm

Sounds, to me, like it was mis-labeled. 110 unit plugged into 220. Anyway, I'm sure LMI will take care of you.

Ron

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:41 pm

Alan,

I'll back what others have said here about LMI's service. A few years back, I had probs with some schaller products, after sending a quick email with a few (unrequested) images, Chris from LMI was right onto it and offered replacement or credit to the value of.

Same deal with BobC the Zootman, had a mix up with a long held item (4 months laying around in his old cramped zoot cave), Bob sent an incorrect set. Emailed Bob and told him I did not like the one sent, nice, but not my cup of tea. Bob has a dig around in the zoot cave and finds the original set and then sends it at his cost "express air" from the USA, telling me to keep the first set at no charge.

You just cannot beat that for service and this is one of the reasons I buy a fair bit of stuff from the USA, the yanks seem to understand customer service and that is something that a lot of local businesses, know nothing about.

If your local and offer me a fair deal, I will give you a go first, I always seek to support Aussie businesses. If you stuff up and then make a genuine attempt to put it right, thats OK, we all make mistakes so I will stick with you and tell others of the good vibe. Tim Spittle of Australian Tonewoods is a perfect example here, if more local businesses modeled themselves on Tim, we as consumers would all be a lot better off and I think so to would the Aussie economy.

But man I gotta tell ya, if your in business and you treat me like your the one doing me the big favour, or you get it wrong and then you expect me to jump through hoops just to satisfy your BS return policy because you or your supplier can't get it right, then f#@k you, I'm gone and I'm gone for good. Not only that, but I will then ying your yang and promise to make it my life's mission to tell everyone what a big wanker you are to deal with. :wh :lol:

Sorry for the rant, just stroking a pet hate.

Cheers and Happy New Year all (Excepting of course those greedy rip off local vendors who shit me to tears, to you I say baaaah! I hope your wife runs off with the local crap cart driver and leaves you with noth'in :f00 :twisted: )

Cheers

Kim

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:36 pm

Kim wrote: ..............

If your local and offer me a fair deal, I will give you a go first, I always seek to support Aussie businesses. If you stuff up and then make a genuine attempt to put it right, thats OK, we all make mistakes so I will stick with you and tell others of the good vibe. Tim Spittle of Australian Tonewoods is a perfect example here, if more local businesses modeled themselves on Tim, we as consumers would all be a lot better off and I think so to would the Aussie economy.

But man I gotta tell ya, if your in business and you treat me like your the one doing me the big favour, or you get it wrong and then you expect me to jump through hoops just to satisfy your BS return policy because you or your supplier can't get it right, then f#@k you, I'm gone and I'm gone for good. Not only that, but I will then ying your yang and promise to make it my life's mission to tell everyone what a big wanker you are to deal with. :wh :lol:

Cheers

Kim
Hey Kim, Don't hold back M8 :lol:

This is one of my greatest peeves about Australian business's. Especially resturants.

Sure, there are some good ones, but I haven't come across very many that would manage to stay in business for more than a week if they were judged soley on customer service if they relocated to the US or Canada.

Maybe living up here at the far end of civilization they might not have seen good customer service, but it sure gets under my skin when they want you to stand in line to order your lunch, then hop up and get it yourself. Chase around to find some cutlery and tomato sauce, then have the gall to charge you $20 for something that the dog would gag up.

OK....sorry about, I needed to vent. I feel much better now :D
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:43 pm

Allen wrote: OK....sorry about, I needed to vent. I feel much better now :D
Me too Allen, me to :lol:

Sam Price
Blackwood

Post by Sam Price » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:58 pm

Kim wrote:Alan,

Sorry for the rant, just stroking a pet hate.

Cheers

Kim
Kim, you are describing British business before the Internet and the maturation of the service sector revolution (early 1990's). It was EXACTLY the way you described.

Perhaps international trading would also be a good thing for some flabby Aussie businesses.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:39 am

Hey Sam,

Nice to hear that some changes for the better have occurred in the UK and I hope the same will happen here. Aussies just need to learn to say "No, sorry but that is wrong and YOU must do something about it NOW."

In fact bugger it, my first rant made me feel pretty good so I recon I might have another splurge so here we go :D. (Everyone groans :lol: )

I love being an Aussie, it makes me proud to the bone and I would not trade it for anything. But cripes, it makes me crabby that these so called entrepreneurs have tapped into the Aussie culture of "she'll be right" and are now hanging off our society like a barrel of bloody leaches.

We as a nation are so easy going, so "don't want to cause any trouble, everyone will think I'm a whinger", so "Oh! Yeah, that's OK mate :-)" even when it's not at all "O" freak'in "K" mate, that we have become targets for those slime bags that now run our corporations. These "turds in a punch bowl" are so low on business etiquette, so lacking in moral fibre that they only understand how to take an advantage rather than market one.

Today our corporations have rotating phone systems designed to vet out those that dare complain. :evil: Because or polies are tarred with the same brush, we even have legislation to allow these corporations to introduce their own fees, charges, and fines at will. :evil: And these funky charges are even enforceable in our court system as if by legislature when there sole designed is of course to deter those disgruntled customers whom would normally withholding payment when an account is in dispute. :evil: :evil: :evil:

And whoa be it on he or she who has finally had a gut full and is silly enough to take it upon themselves to jump the counter and sort out that smug, smart ass little wanker, who gives much more lip than he could normally afford without that company uniform on. For they will surely find in an instant that law and order that took over a week to arrive when they had their own house broken into the week earlier. :evil:

Ahh, that's better 8) :lol:

Anyhow, just thought I would vent my spleen before the eve is upon us proper as i really do hold hope for a great 2008. Let us all have a happy, healthy and prosperous new-year and as Aussies, we could all take a step in that direction by learning to once again utter the sentiment held in those words once employed by our forefathers when something in business was presented to them that was "on the nose". It went along the lines of "fair go mate, I didn't come down in the last bloody shower, pull ya head in and wake up to your bloody self or I'll give ya a thick ear" :)

So with that said, if you can't bring yourself to make "a scene" when things aren't right, you can at least vote with your wallet. DO NOT tolerate deception, rudeness or bad service from anywhere, you owe that to your fellow Aussies and your own kids.

Cheers all, peace health and happiness for 2008. :D

Kim

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:20 am

Well Kim, there is not much to add to that lot. I can say that I had some lousy service in the States as well as here, but it is more prevalent here in Aus. For the big corporates I think its the same everywhere and the internet has revised our expectations here.

Anyway a fabby wabby new year to all!, lots of sawdust and sexy timbers and the time to indulge in what matters!

Sebastiaan

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:12 am

Thanks Kim, the wife and I are pissin' our selves laughing. That was a great start to the day.

Now that we've solved Alan's heating iron problem....wait a minute, what's happening Alan?
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Sam Price
Blackwood

Post by Sam Price » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:30 am

Hey Kim, you're OK by me......let it all out, man...

I cannot say that UK service is excellent by US standards, there are still customer service issues that we still struggle with over here....there was this one time I got Trading Standards onto a certain service provider who decided to take their time sending my modem WAYY beyond the due date even though they were taking my subsciption money...and the rest.

I got a blow-by-blow account of the wonders of Aussieland at a delicious meal one evening round a friend's house. Five weeks touring in a campervan with her husband and two kids made them leave their heart somewhere in the SW of Australia.

Despite your issues with business (I can fully sympathise) I got a very positive account of your nation.

1) People take their health and fitness seriously.
2) People seek genuine relationships and treat others as they would expect to be treated themselves.
3) There is a certain part in Sydney where there is a park with signs saying,

DO walk on the grass
DO sit under this tree
Feel free to enjoy yourself here, and if you find the gates are locked because you'e enjoyed yourself too much, use this phone and a MAN will let you out

(NOTE:"Man" not the nauseating "Personnel" moniker.)

To my great loss of this dear friend, she and her husband will be moving over there sometime next year, providing he gets the job he's applied for.

You don't know how good you have it over there. Apparently there are laws over here being implemented that can wind you up getting fined and acrue points on your license if you splash someone with a puddle as you drive by, and penalties if you leave your full beam lights on at night when driving (SOMETIMES it happens by accident!!)

Can't eat anything over here with full enjoyment, as you are told it'll give you Cancer or Diabetes.

Heh. Rant over.

Merry- oh sorry it's over....Happy new Year everyone!!!

EDIT: Do you know how WONDERFULLY liberating it is to be able to EDIT my posts?!
EDIT: Hahhahha!! This is fun!!! *presses EDIT and SUBMIT several times over the next hour* :D
EDIT: Sorry about hijacking the thread, guys.... :oops:

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:16 am

Oh yeah, that's right the bloody bending iron...sorry Alan, it was all Sam"s fault, she got me started. :D Anyhow, if you have any problems, just ask for Chris Herrod at LMI and show him this thread, I'm sure he will sort this out quick smart. Glad to hear of your success with the lower bout, keep up the good work M8. 8)

Sam, I'm with you all the way on the benefits of the edit control, this can be a very handy thing indeed for someone like me who has no clutch between my thought process and my two typing fingers :lol:

Anyhow, have fun all and HappyNewYear to ya. :bh

Sam Price
Blackwood

Post by Sam Price » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:44 am

Don't you dare edit now, you'll make me look stupid..... :lol:

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:22 am

:lol:

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:48 pm

Ibex bending iron update,

Chris Herrod for LMI contacted me thursday. They have been closed over the festive new year holiday break. There is a new heating element on its way to me no charge. If the element dosen't fix the problem, Chris has offered to replace the iron no questions asked.

Now thats what I call service!!! I am pleased I chose to buy from LMI.

Cheers

Alan

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:35 pm

At-a-boy Chris 8) Just knew you would be cool with this Alan.

Return the favour and spread the good word m8. :D

Cheers

Kim

Sam Price
Blackwood

Post by Sam Price » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:39 pm

Amazing. Great US customer service even reaches the furthest points of the globe. I am well impressed!!

Serge
Blackwood

Post by Serge » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:48 pm

Hey Sam, nice to see you on here sis, what have you been up to lately? :D

Sam Price
Blackwood

Post by Sam Price » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:56 pm

Serge wrote:Hey Sam, nice to see you on here sis, what have you been up to lately? :D
Hey Serge, nothing much. :) Slowly and surely building guitar #3 whilst trying to raise a family and working part-time...

Happy new year!

Serge
Blackwood

Post by Serge » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:37 pm

Same to you and yours Sam!

Don't forget to bring us some pics next time you come out of your shop please!

your bro in Him

Serge

Sam Price
Blackwood

Post by Sam Price » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:06 am

Bless you Serge, :D

I will post some pics when the box is complete. Won't be long now.