Progress on Number 15 (Pics)

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Progress on Number 15 (Pics)

Post by Hesh1956 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:23 am

Well I didn't do any guitar building for over a week and just sat around and ate chocolate....... :lol:

So last night I dived back in and got the fretboard epoxied to the neck on #15. This was my first time using epoxy for the fretboard and using a hard maple, radiused fretboard caul. It all went very well and I am pleased with the results.

Take a peek.

Dave Anderson
Blackwood

Post by Dave Anderson » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:38 am

Lookin' real good Hesh ! I am going to use epoxy on my current neck also.
So far I have been using HHG for everything on this one.
Hesh, On this mahogany guitar,Are you going to stain it ? I have been doing some
stain tests on scrap and I'm thinking about using a stain on the mahogany(it's so light).
And do you stain your mahogany necks ? TIA
Dave Anderson
Port Richey,Florida

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:19 am

I was thinking about staining mine, but I tried some pore filling on a scrap with the WEST Systems epoxy and it reddened and darkened a fair bit, so I left it plain. It works well with the Qld. Walnut bindings and redwood top.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:27 am

Yeah looking great Hesh, always enjoy seeing your work M8 and this mahogany sweetheart is no exception. 8)

I to have questions about staining mahogany so to avoid hijacking your post, I started a new thread so any tips we share can be found with a topic related search.

Cheers

Kim

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:53 am

Thanks guys! :D

Dave - what Allen said - pore fill some scrap of what you have first before deciding to use stain. Epoxy resin will darken the mahogany considerable and you may like that look.

Personally I hate covering up natural wood......... JUST KIDDING since I painted a top black and sunbursted another guitar.

But see Kim's thread about staining his Barbie pink mottled mahogany before you decide to do this. Sanding through the stain can get complicated during finishing. Also if you don't want the stain to look blotchy where end grain is present you have to dampen a cloth, dampen the end grain area, sand, repeat, several times to even out the stain job too.

I have stained a number of necks but try to avoid it by carefully matching neck woods to back and side woods.

Tom Morici
Blackwood

Post by Tom Morici » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:43 pm

Hesh,

One vote here for no-stain. Nice match of neck and body colors.
How about doing me a favor weigh the neck and report back.
Curious after your report of a 24 oz body.
You already know this, but great looking work!

Thanks Buddy

Tom

Serge
Blackwood

Post by Serge » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:36 pm

Oh Yeah, hun hun! :cl :cl :cl

Nice job bro, man i love the look of that fretboard with that dark streak in it , looks amazing! I don't know how she taps but my pinkie tells me that this one vibrates just hearin' a fly passin' by! :D

Coming along very nicely there Hesh, keep it up my good man! And get off the chocos man! :lol:
Jesus, family, friends, guitar and mandolin : D

Alain
Myrtle

Post by Alain » Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:35 pm

Right on bro! That fingerboard looks awesome! How did you like the West System? I've used it many times now and I'm in love with the stuff. True, it's a bit more expensive than your usual hardware store epoxy, but I feel the extra money is well worth it. It dries hard as HHG and you get the feeling that it's not coming appart unless you work hard at it.
'Hunting sober is like ...fishing...sober'