Luthier Ron Sharp talks about Red Spruce

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

morgan
Myrtle

Luthier Ron Sharp talks about Red Spruce

Post by morgan » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:40 am

Thought you might enjoy this mini-documentary:

youtu.be/

Kim
Admin

Re: Luthier Ron Sharp talks about Red Spruce

Post by Kim » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:52 am

Thanks Morgan 8)

I moved this topic into the main forum as it is a good vid and worthy of discussion.

Would be nice to have the luxury of walking among the red spruce trees to source your own Must admit I do like red spruce, not just for the stiffness but also for the look. A lot of it these days has uneven grain and prominent winter growth...it really looks like wood.

Cheers

Kim

Dave Anderson
Blackwood

Post by Dave Anderson » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:22 pm

Interesting video, Thanks!!
Dave Anderson
Port Richey,Florida

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:17 pm

Southern accent is hard to catch at times but the doco is an interesting one, must be quite rewarding to build the tops on your guitars from log stage to producing music. Thanks Morgan.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Dave White
Blackwood

Post by Dave White » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:41 pm

Thanks Morgan - that was fascinating.

That's the most plausible theory I've heard yet for the pre-war Martin sound - that they were built by German craftsmen that knew all about wood and what to do with it.
Dave White
[url=http://www.defaoiteguitars.com]De Faoite Stringed Instruments[/url]

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:25 pm

Dave White wrote:That's the most plausible theory I've heard yet for the pre-war Martin sound - that they were built by German craftsmen that knew all about wood and what to do with it.
I think that may have been part of it but the fact that the world had come out of WW1 and run head on into a depression meant that there was little disposable income around at that time. The last thing people were spending their money on in the 30's was guitars. I have read that old CF had put off a lot of his work force and only kept the best of the best and even these guys had so few orders to fill that they made each one last just to stay on the payroll...lots of attention to detail when you have every one in the workshop fighting each other to look busy. Of course with the extra attention to detail one could imagine that the wood used in those scares orders would probably have been the best of the best as well, and this would not have hurt the tone any either.

But all BS aside, the simple fact is that economics demanded that fewer orders were taken in this period. This meant that 'any' Martin guitars from the 30's were quite rare even back then. It is this single fact which explains why today they are "the most expensive guitars in the world" and we all know what more dollars paid can do for the perceived tone of an instrument, so there is probably a good bit of that going on as well I reckon.

Cheers

Kim

Puff
Blackwood

Post by Puff » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:33 pm

Yep -the dude with the green red spruce is certainly a name dropper :P But this is the you ess of a folks - it's how we do things here :mrgreen:

Clancy
Blackwood

Post by Clancy » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:21 pm

I enjoyed that. I always enjoy anything to do with my favourite past-time.
But I wonder what he'd say if he lived on a mountain of Sitka or Englemann he could harvest at will?
Craig
I'm not the sharpest tool in my shed

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:18 pm

Clancy wrote:I enjoyed that. I always enjoy anything to do with my favourite past-time.
But I wonder what he'd say if he lived on a mountain of Sitka or Englemann he could harvest at will?
He'd probably say "you little &&$$$$ng beauty!!!!!
Martin