New toy in the shed

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Bob Connor
Admin

New toy in the shed

Post by Bob Connor » Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:42 pm

Dave and I went on a machinery safari to Melbourne last Friday and ended up in Woodworking Warehouse.

We'd been there last year and got a Performax 16/32 drum sander.

They are not a bad mob to deal with. When we need sandpaper for the sander we just phone them and it will arrive in the post usually in two days or less.

We ended chucking this in the back of the ute.

We had a small benchtop jointer which could never be aligned properly and was generally a pain in the bum.

Set the new one up yesterday and gave it a run on a sound board joint.
Two runs through and it was perfect.

The most unfortunate part of the trip was spotting a Jet 18" 3hp Bandsaw
so we've decided to get that as well for resawing.

I know Paul has one of these and Tim's got one that he's replaced recently.

Anyone got any suggestions for resaw blades? I think this bandsaw'll take up to 1/12" blades.

We've been using 3/4", 3 TPI on our current bandsaw for hardwoods ( cheapies supplied locally for about $27 but they'll only last about 4 cuts into a decent billet of hardwood then the blade wanders :evil:

We've also tried some 1.25 TPI ones from Henry Brothers in Sydney but our little Carbatec 14" struggled with them a bit. (the bloke at Henry Brothers suggested these for resawing blackwood)

We don't mind shelling out the bucks for a carbide/ bi-metal blade so any suggestions would be most welcome.

Bob

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:07 pm

Cool, love that planner, I use my old beast for all kinds of stuff, for jointing tops and backs I take things close to where I want to be with the planner and then shoot with the No 6 one or two passes and she's sweet. But like I said, mine is an old beast with just a triple knife, so yours may be sweet straight from the table.

I hear tell that the Lennox Woodmaster CT is a good resaw blade but I am not sure about Blackwood, it's stringy stuff and does not clear too easily.

Cheers

Kim

BillyT
Blackwood

Post by BillyT » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:10 pm

Bob, I don't know how your set up over there for suppliers, but I found a guy about 15 min's from here that makes bandsaw blades. He only charges $10.00!! I get what ever I want for TPI, he even has some speciallty stock, but it's more pricey!

I used to make them while I was a machinist and never thought of going to a guy that makes them himself!

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:57 am

I get my blades done at Norwood Saw Works here in Adelaide. The guy who does them is very old fashioned when it comes to service and professionalism...just the way I like it.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:54 am

That's great Bob. Makes all the difference getting nice tools to work with. If my 2 bay garage wasn't limiting my TAS, I'd have one of those too. And a whole bunch more. I don't know if my wife would talk to me for a while though.

I did pick up the ETS Festool 125 sander over the holidays. I've had them at work, but never used them on wood. What a true joy to use, and made a job that I did by hand in a few hours to one done in about 10 minutes. :D
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Serge
Blackwood

Post by Serge » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:38 am

Very nice toy my friend, i'm still using a bench top one here by lack of space but i'd really like to get my paws on such a neat one when i'm old! :D
Jesus, family, friends, guitar and mandolin : D

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:40 am

Nice score Bob buddy.

I am still jointing manually......

Dave Anderson
Blackwood

Post by Dave Anderson » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:59 am

Great new jointer Bob! Wish I had one like that but I'll
have to stick to my little benchtop fer now.
Hesh- yep,I remember those contraptions. They worked very well :lol:
Dave Anderson
Port Richey,Florida

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:07 pm

Hesh1956 wrote:Nice score Bob buddy.

I am still jointing manually......

Hmm, when I was younger they did'nt call me stone fingers for nothin :D