Where is the best place to buy bandsaw blades in Australia?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Tonxi
Blackwood

Post by Tonxi » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:24 pm

:gui
Martyn

The glass is half full... but I'll have another while your up!

It's not over until Ricky Pontin cries! (Not long now).

Great minds like a think!

matthew
Blackwood

Re: Where is the best place to buy bandsaw blades in Austral

Post by matthew » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:30 pm

I buy mine from Henry Bros in Sydney.

http://www.henrybrossaws.com.au

I have bought 6 blades from them in the past three years and never had a bad experience with them. (But someone no doubt has, and they're not an ANZLF approved supplier, so buyer beware :shock: )

Puff
Blackwood

Post by Puff » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:41 pm

Yeah but you from Sidney bro, They may be ok local but how do they travel?

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:43 pm

matthew wrote:I buy mine from Henry Bros in Sydney.

I have bought 6 blades from them in the past three years and never had a bad experience with them. (But someone no doubt has, and they're not an ANZLF approved supplier, so buyer beware :shock: )
+1

You'll probably find it hard to find anyone who's had problems with Henry Brothers....unlike some other businesses they're competent, have a quality product and know what service is.
Martin

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:49 pm

To me, they arrived quickly and well packed, each time. But yes, I'm local.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:53 pm

Puff wrote:Yeah but you from Sidney bro, They may be ok local but how do they travel?
I'm in Adelaide...have never had issues with service and quality of product.
Martin

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Post by liam_fnq » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:12 pm

I bought two blades last week on the advice i've seen on this forum. I asked that the package be over night air-bagged to me up in Cairns. I rang this arvo to check when it was sent as it hadn't arrived. The bloke on the phone (can't remember his name :? ) was quite concerned that it hadn't arrived as he sent it friday. I said I'd call tommorrow arvo if it hadn't turned up but he wants to know by lunch time so he can kick some arses.

So all up:
Great service in the first place, I told them what I want to do and they told me what blades I need.

When I called today he could tell me within about 5sec when it has shipped. No on hold, no asking someone else.

He knew when I should have arrived.

And, he was ready to kick some arses at the courier company because I hasn't turned up.

It might not sound like much but I have found this level of service very rare. Pretty much unheard of in Cairns that's for sure.

I'll get back tommorrow with an update.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:29 pm

matthew wrote:(But someone no doubt has, and they're not an ANZLF approved supplier, so buyer beware :shock: )
As has been quite clearly explained to you Matthew, this forums administration has no problems with members endorsing any relevant business they have had good dealings with. That is of course unless there is a direct affiliation between the member making the endorsement and the business which sees that member gain some form of favour or reward..

Not that hard to understand is it.

Cheers

Kim

PHANTOM
Blackwood

Post by PHANTOM » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:40 pm

I have dealt with henry brothers a few times and have nothing but praise for them.
Carpe Diem

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:49 pm

I buy my Bi Metal blades from them Martyn...Like all the rest have had good service and advice from them. That having been said and with the strength of the A Dollar I am tempted to have a go at one of those Woodslicer blades from the States...
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:53 pm

I've bought from Henry Bros. as does the Cairns Woodworkers Guild. No problems at all.

My last order of blades I got from the US as I was placing an order anyway. Great price and service as I've come to expect from US companies. And the exchange rate didn't hurt either.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:43 pm

Another thumbs up for Henry Bros.

I told them I was building guitars and that I've got a Jet 18" bandsaw, and they told me what blades I needed - and they were right!

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:10 pm

woodrat wrote:I buy my Bi Metal blades from them Martyn...Like all the rest have had good service and advice from them. That having been said and with the strength of the A Dollar I am tempted to have a go at one of those Woodslicer blades from the States...

Hey Woodrat,

Just a comment on your thoughts there. I did a review (on this forum) on those Woodslicer blades some time ago. As an update, while I stick to my first reports - they really do cut beautifully, with a near plane like finish and as small a kerf (therefore wastage) as you will get on a bandsaw blade capable of resaw work.

However, as an update, I did find that they tended to dull more quickly than I'd like. Once dulled, they did not cut effectively at all. It is hard to draw any comparisons as it would depend on what you were cutting as to how quickly the blade dulls. I cut a range of species with mine, some of which are known offenders in their edge dulling capacity. The blades certainly paid for themselves in the sets I did manage to cut though.

I guess my comment then is they are excellent blades for the price and particularly good if you have a special piece of wood that you want to minimize waste on. I'm not aware of anything available locally that can compare on a price equivalent factor and I'll probably buy more in future. They are something worth getting in larger quantity (at least 2-3) to balance out the freight charge.

However the Tungsten Carbide blades by Lenox USA that you can buy locally now (through Henry Bros and others), albeit more expensive and with a slightly larger kerf, cut as well and will outlast the others by some margin. I've just bought a new tungsten resaw from HB that will arrive tomorrow and I know I'll get a lot more sets from it. I've had a Lenox TC blade before and it performed admirably for a long while until we met with an expensive accident... :(

Another thumbs up for Henry Bros by the way. Very helpful and excellent service. 8)

As a side Allen, what blades did you decide to get from the US if you don't mind me asking.

Jeremy.

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:26 pm

matthew wrote:I buy mine from Henry Bros in Sydney.

You're starting to sound like a broken record Matthew :lol:
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:54 am

I just got a couple of generic general purpose blades in 1/4" and 1/8 " along with an order of other stuff from Woodworker's Supply. Same place we got the pattern makers vise. They were really inexpensive, and I'd say that they cut better than the previous blades I had received from HB. But the only resawing I do with them is splitting fret boards.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

P Bill
Blackwood

Post by P Bill » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:19 am

Austech ( formerly Qld. Saw ) does all my sharpening and supply. A 14 in. x 10 mm 3tpi costs me $17. Free pickup and delivery. No one has posted any prices . How does this compare?
"Were you drying your nails or waving me good bye?" Tom Waits

Bill

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:51 am

matthew wrote:Thank you guys
Thank you Matthew
Martin

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:17 am

P Bill wrote:Austech ( formerly Qld. Saw ) does all my sharpening and supply. A 14 in. x 10 mm 3tpi costs me $17. Free pickup and delivery. No one has posted any prices . How does this compare?
14in x 12mm x 4tpi from Henry Bros was $18

shipping for two blades was $10

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:50 am

P Bill wrote:Austech ( formerly Qld. Saw ) does all my sharpening and supply. A 14 in. x 10 mm 3tpi costs me $17. Free pickup and delivery. No one has posted any prices . How does this compare?
Yep, that's about average.

$14-22 is about the norm for a stock standard blade of roughly that size.

Something more specialized such as the Woodslicer resaw blades are $30 (US) each + about $30 p/h for two or three.

The Tungsten Tipped blades are much more of course - between $130 and $250 (to suit a 17"), depending on the size, style, tooth count etc. They are really designed for larger bandsaws than 14" though, generally minimum of 17" machines and up. They last a long time and cut very well.

Thanks Allen, was just curious as to whether it was any other specialty blade I was unaware of.

Jeremy.

TKAY
Kauri

Post by TKAY » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:26 am

Good to get some info for those outside major centres.I have had great help (come out the back and we will see what we have)!!! from LEUCO in Adelaide .Very reasonable value. Especially late Friday PM!
On similar vein, anyone know where one can source 14thou. thick blades in Aus?

Tom

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:59 pm

I buy off Henry Bros and they manage to get them to Darwin on the horse and cart without any troubles. I had a blade break once, just a 1/4 inch bi-metal (I only do bi-metal now as there is nobody up here that sharpens the blades) I posted it back to them and they checked the blade out, told me it was their fault and sent me a new blade, I have never had another break.

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:07 pm

DarwinStrings wrote:I buy off Henry Bros and they manage to get them to Darwin on the horse and cart without any troubles. I had a blade break once, just a 1/4 inch bi-metal (I only do bi-metal now as there is nobody up here that sharpens the blades) I posted it back to them and they checked the blade out, told me it was their fault and sent me a new blade, I have never had another break.

Jim
I'm pleased that all the above posts do rather give us confidence that Henry Bros do their level best to provide Aussie and New Zealand luthiers with fully backed quality goods and services at a reasonable price.

Tonxi
Blackwood

Post by Tonxi » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:48 pm

Thanks guys.
I ordered 3 blades from Henry bros today. $18 for a 42"x3/16" 6tpi (to replace the one I broke on my son's GMC)and $45 for 75"x1/2" 3tpi bi-metal resaw blade I was going to buy a 75"x1/4"for $18 too but I upgraded it to bi=metal. I assume it will be $45 but forgot to ask.
I also fancy a woodslicer for resawing, but the fact that my 75" blade is a custom length means it will be 6-8 weeks before they even ship it. At $34.95 US it falls roughly between the two and from what I have read it will be worthwhile for any rare/expensive timbers.
I will wait till I can afford 2 or 3 and save on postage.
:gui
Martyn

The glass is half full... but I'll have another while your up!

It's not over until Ricky Pontin cries! (Not long now).

Great minds like a think!

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:17 pm

matthew wrote:
I'm pleased that all the above posts do rather give us confidence that Henry Bros do their level best to provide Aussie and New Zealand luthiers with fully backed quality goods and services at a reasonable price.
And none of the posters has any affiliation with Henry Brothers which gives me even more confidence. :D
Martin