Classical Guitar Construction

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

zendo
Myrtle

Classical Guitar Construction

Post by zendo » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:21 am

I am back. I finished the Lute one year ago. It is rather beautiful but hell to tune those 24 strings with no machine heads. After that shock and spending the year doing other things I am starting to make my classical guitar. I have my Contreras which I have played professionally (long ago) and now play for pleasure, but am starting with the Fleta plans from Courtnall's book. Thanks for the tip on this book Martin. It certainly beats my old 1972 Sloan for construction style. So I have the back, sides, neck and top wood ready. The mould is complete, in a fraction of the time the Lute mould took, and I am ready to order bits and pieces for the latter stages eg. frets,linings etc. I will stay in touch regularly with the great team at IBF so all tips welcomed. Here we go. :wink:

Daniel_M
Blackwood

Re: Classical Guitar Construction

Post by Daniel_M » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:47 pm

I look forward to hearing about how you go Zendo.

zendo
Myrtle

Post by zendo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:54 pm

Daniel_M wrote:I look forward to hearing about how you go Zendo.

Thanks for that... I will keep posting.

zendo
Myrtle

Post by zendo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:00 pm

I have been reading about sound-hole cutters, from ice cream sticks with pins and scalpels to expensive tools... I am ordering ahead because I am not yet at the sound-hole making .. I see Carbatech have a cutter for $39.. I am also ok about buying an ice cream and a pin.. any ideas appreciated... Stew mac also have a kit for frets.. around $189... but is it worth it for a beginner? I must say the fret cutters look good though...

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:17 pm

Depends on how you are set up for cutting fret slots. If you have a table saw, then I'd recommend the fret slotting blade. Otherwise you are limited to the miter box combo. When I started out I made my own miter box and used a Stew Mac fret saw. Worked OK but I'd never ever go back to that method after getting set up on my table saw.

If all you plan on doing is the occasional instrument a more cost effective way would just to have one slotted for you by someone else.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:29 pm

zendo wrote:I have been reading about sound-hole cutters, from ice cream sticks with pins and scalpels to expensive tools... I am ordering ahead because I am not yet at the sound-hole making .. I see Carbatech have a cutter for $39.. I am also ok about buying an ice cream and a pin.. any ideas appreciated... Stew mac also have a kit for frets.. around $189... but is it worth it for a beginner? I must say the fret cutters look good though...
I use a standard router and a circle cutting jig for my rosettes. The paddle pop method is quite effective for cutting rosette channels if you're doing a one off instrument.
Martin

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:35 pm

Zendo,

Be very careful if you use the Fleta plan in the Courtnall book. If you use his brace dimensions you will end up with a soundboard that is wayyyyy too stiff.

zendo
Myrtle

Post by zendo » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:25 am

kiwigeo wrote:
zendo wrote:I have been reading about sound-hole cutters, from ice cream sticks with pins and scalpels to expensive tools... I am ordering ahead because I am not yet at the sound-hole making .. I see Carbatech have a cutter for $39.. I am also ok about buying an ice cream and a pin.. any ideas appreciated... Stew mac also have a kit for frets.. around $189... but is it worth it for a beginner? I must say the fret cutters look good though...
I use a standard router and a circle cutting jig for my rosettes. The paddle pop method is quite effective for cutting rosette channels if you're doing a one off instrument.
Hello Martin and thank-you for your response. I happened to have done just that and ordered a standard circle cutter on e-bay. Some of the other parts and tools I have ordered from Stewy Mac. Some for a one off guitar and others (as I did for the Lute) for making one or two more in my lifetime. I think it is more about the art and pleasure of making instruments. I expect it to be less difficult than the Lute but I may be surprised. It's good to be back on task with luthiery. :cl

zendo
Myrtle

Post by zendo » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:37 am

trevtheshed wrote:Zendo,

Be very careful if you use the Fleta plan in the Courtnall book. If you use his brace dimensions you will end up with a soundboard that is wayyyyy too stiff.
Thanks for that very useful tip. My Contreras, that I have played for thirty years is delightful so I may copy the bracing from that. At least I know it sounds beautiful. What do you think? :git

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:56 pm

Thanks for that very useful tip. My Contreras, that I have played for thirty years is delightful so I may copy the bracing from that. At least I know it sounds beautiful. What do you think?
There's a plan for my take on a Fleta in "the book" (http://www.goreguitars.com.au/main/page ... rview.html). This soundboard should turn out slightly stiff, too, if you use the dimensions given. Exactly how much too stiff depends on the material properties of the wood you're using. However, the idea is that you build a little stiff because it's a lot easier to soften the structure once it's built than it is to stiffen it. What stiffness to target, and how to do it, is all covered in said book.

Trevor Gore

zendo
Myrtle

Post by zendo » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:07 pm

trevtheshed wrote:
Thanks for that very useful tip. My Contreras, that I have played for thirty years is delightful so I may copy the bracing from that. At least I know it sounds beautiful. What do you think?
There's a plan for my take on a Fleta in "the book" (http://www.goreguitars.com.au/main/page ... rview.html). This soundboard should turn out slightly stiff, too, if you use the dimensions given. Exactly how much too stiff depends on the material properties of the wood you're using. However, the idea is that you build a little stiff because it's a lot easier to soften the structure once it's built than it is to stiffen it. What stiffness to target, and how to do it, is all covered in said book.

Trevor Gore
Thanks for the tip. I need to remind myself that I am a novice. The material properties of the wood are a little unknown to me and will probably remain that way because at the moment i am creating my first guitar although I have made two lutes. I will get a copy of your book when it is out. It sounds good to me.