Retop of my NO-OM

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

woodrat
Blackwood

Retop of my NO-OM

Post by woodrat » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:53 pm

I recently retopped my Native Olive OM. I wont say why because it may cause embarrassment to the maker....Oh...that would be me! :oops:
Anyway I thought that I would show how I did it. Basically I took the neck off and then drilled a 3/8inch hole next to the headblock and jigsawed it off. It was quite liberating once I had finished :)
In the end it was quite an easy job really because I sawed the top off and then pared what was left back nearly to the linings and planed the bindings down as well. I have a powered radius dish sander made from an old lathe head and a countershaft and a motor so that makes things very easy at this stage. I just sanded the last 1/2 mm or so back to the linings and went a 0.0something further so that i made sure I sanded away the old glue and hey presto....ready for the new top...it will be interesting to see if my replacement top is exactly the same or if I have to finesse the neck angle at all. Anyway I am sure that it will only be a very small adjustment if it needs it as they both came out of the same 30' radius dish that matches the sander.
I thought that I would show you all the photos but I will not divulge the reason for such radical surgery because as I said it would embarrass the maker... :oops:
It has been an interesting process and a new one for me. Once I got over the initial horror of plunging a jigsaw into the top of my guitar I felt much better! So I hope you enjoy the photos of the open top surgery and I will post some other pics after the binding and purfling are done and when it is all back together. :)
You may notice the debris has fallen fortuitously on the makers label to protect his identity:wink:

the WoodRat
2.jpg
Attachments
1.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

Bruce McC
Blackwood

Re: Retop of my NO-OM

Post by Bruce McC » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:20 pm

Hey John
Your go bars must exert a fair bit of pressure to hold that guitar vertically!
Bruce Mc.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:55 pm

I love guitar surgery!!
Martin

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:18 pm

Yes Bruce I use the wall to save space!....

Martin...I am beginning to like it too!

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:53 pm

Wow, that looks scary! Image

Have you been worried about applying not enough heat when seperating the fingerboard from the top? Glad it apparently was not enough to burn down your shed. :)
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:48 am

Markus, I thought that it looked scary too until I did it:) Once the top was off then it was really not that big a deal from there but yes...scary at the beginning. I have to get around to binding it now.