Yellow Cypress.

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

ozwood
Blackwood

Yellow Cypress.

Post by ozwood » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:15 pm

Hi Gent's ,

I just purchased some Timber from a supplier in Canada , and for shit's and Giggles thought I'd try some Yellow Cypress , On first inspection it seems to be plenty stiff both along and accross the grain, has nice tight grain and a healthy ringing Tap tone ! Question is am I missing something ? , are there any nasty suprises I should Know about ?, has anyone else used it ,
what were the results ? .

What says the Collective wisdom that is the ANZLF.
Paul .

Allen
Blackwood

Re: Yellow Cypress.

Post by Allen » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:24 pm

I'm presuming you are tailing about what over there is called Yellow Cedar. It is in fact a Cypress but no Canadian I know would call it that.

I've only used it I'm making parts on boats. Wasn't even considering building instruments at the time, so don't recall what any of the properties of it were in relation to a sound board. I do know that it's very rot resistant. Bugs don't like it, and some people are very sensitive to it. Allergic reactions to the dust and even contact were the norm when I was using any of it. Didn't bother me though.

For instruments, I've really got no idea. Would like to try it some time though.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

ozwood
Blackwood

Post by ozwood » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:50 pm

Thanks Allen,

Well for My money , unless someone comes up with something negative it looks good , feels nice and stiff , and taps like it's going to give a nice bright chimey sound , price is reasonable I'll let you know how it goes when it becomes a Guitar, I got it from Fraser valley fine woods , very happy with the quality of the Timber and service , the guy seems on the level , takes PayPal , arrived in about a Week .( no mould, no death threats, money back Guarentee, freight excluded) best have a look for your self ! and see what you think. http://www.fine-woods.com

Cheers.
Paul .

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:42 pm

I've got 3 back and side sets of it. Often used by north americans for flamenco blanca instead of mediteranean cypress. Looking forward to using it.
I have bought from Frazer valley fine woods too and was happy, but this is from someone else who I can't remember at the moment.

ozwood
Blackwood

Post by ozwood » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:52 pm

Hi Jeff ,

Bow river specialty woods ??maybe.

http://www.bowriverwoods.com/Luthier-Gu ... and-Sides-
Paul .

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:05 pm

Nah It was Klaus ....... I think have to get the details off the old computer.
About $29 a back and side set before postage.

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:56 pm

I've got some Yellow Cedar tops as well as some Port Orford Cedar tops.

Doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between the two and I'd have no hesitation in building with it.

Regards
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

ernie
Myrtle

Post by ernie » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:32 pm

I am from Bc and live in KC, Yellow cedar has a good tap tone Can be used as a top tonewood on my current tenor uke

jayluthier
Beefwood

Post by jayluthier » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:52 am

Alaskan Yellow Cedar makes great tops. I've used it a number of times on medium (00) sized guitars. Reasonably stiff, the best wood has very tight grain.
If you google Hank Mauel in California, you will see that he favors AYC for one of his jumbo model guitars. You can use it without hesitation.

ChuckM
Wandoo

Post by ChuckM » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:49 am

I've use quite a bit of it. I refer to it as Nootka Cypress, but everywhere I can buy it it's referred to as Yellow Cedar. In my local lumber yard it is one of the most expensive woods. I have purchased a few top sets, but otherwise re-saw it from lumber.

I have used it on one top and 3 backs/sides. The top was rather unique as it was on a very experimental guitar and only has one (fan) brace. Needless to say it is very bright. Chimey is as good a word as any. It is my favorite wood to bend for sides, like butter and it looks like it too. I believe Bogdanovich uses it for laminated sides in his book.

I discovered that if I let the sawdust sit on my skin for several hours it can get uncomfortable and result in a rash. It has a strong odor that is very unlike Port Orford Cedar, which is quite sweet. The samples I have are very close in weight and stiffness to Port Orford Cedar although I read others say POC is lighter and stiffer. Both POC and YC samples I have are about the same density as Sitka Spruce, but not as stiff per weight. I've heard that it is very stable regarding humidity changes and it is really hard to get it to crack. So far that seems to be the case as it certainly holds together better under the knife. I also use it for lining, blocks and back braces. I have a YC classical neck in the works as well for use in an all YC guitar.

As with all guitar woods, I find it to be overpriced. :?

Chuck Morrison

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:38 am

Welcome to the forum Chuck.
Martin

Daniel_M
Blackwood

Post by Daniel_M » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:40 pm

Thanks Chuck that is some great info and welcome to the forum :gui
Last edited by kiwigeo on Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChuckM
Wandoo

Post by ChuckM » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:11 am

Thanks, Glad to be here. I've been meaning to join since someone here linked to my web site a few months ago. I didn't know this forum existed before that.

I've always wanted to visit/emigrate down under and this may be the closest I ever get. :D
Chuck Morrison

Corky Long
Wandoo

Post by Corky Long » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:59 am

I came across a very nicely quartersawn block of Alaskan Yellow Cedar at my local lumberyard - it was essentially being sold as scrap. I was able to resaw it into a few bookmatched tops. It's got a stiffness to weight ratio much like some of my denser adirondack. Looks wonderful too - incredibly dense growth rings and a creamy french vanilla tint to it. Stiff with a nice clear "bong" when tapping it.

The smell is something else while resawing it. Pungent with a minty green cedary smell that's very strong - overpowering, really. I'm not surprised some are allergic to it. I'll bet it's going to make a great guitar. I can't wait to build with it.

ernie
Myrtle

Post by ernie » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:51 am

Alaska specialty woods has a large stock of yellow cedar tops in different grades.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:16 am

ernie wrote:Alaska specialty woods has a large stock of yellow cedar tops in different grades.
For those of new to the game here's the link to Alaska Speciality Woods: http://alaskawoods.com/

ASW is run by Brent Cole who's a reputable businessman....... unlike at least one other Alaskan based tonewood supplier.
Martin