Finishing

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Cookie man
Myrtle

Finishing

Post by Cookie man » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:37 pm

Hi everyone!

I have yet another question to ask. I'm probably getting ahead of myself, but I would like to ask if anyone knows how to do a satin finish instead of gloss. Kind of like on Matons, for example.

Cheers :mrgreen: Oh and I'm 18 today!! just thought you'd like to know..
needsmorecowbel wrote: Markus it doesn't count when you briefly duck out the shed, make a fly fishing rod, then catch a trout from your hand carved canoe, package it (with the hand made vacuum machine) and then take a photo with your home made electron microscope....
:lol:

woodrat
Blackwood

Re: Finishing

Post by woodrat » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:50 pm

Hi Cookie, A satin finish is much quicker and easier to do than a full polish gloss finish. That is what I used on my Journeyman Model that I recently posted to the Gallery. For sure it is the Maton/Cole Clark look but that is what I wanted for my entry level model that I have developed for the reasons mentioned in the first sentence. It is an excellent way to go for a first build as it does not have the complexities of the high gloss finishing schedule.

Cheers

John
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:06 pm

Maton use Mirotone 3220/30 for their satin finish, or at least they used to.
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:54 pm

Cookie man wrote:
Cheers :mrgreen: Oh and I'm 18 today!! just thought you'd like to know..

Happy birthday mate. Cant offer you the full 21 bum salute as that's reserved for Kim and other members of the ANZLF Royal Family but here's 10 bums for being a worthy rank and file member of the forum.

:bum :bum :bum :bum :bum :bum :bum :bum :bum :bum
Martin

Gizmo
Wandoo

Post by Gizmo » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:01 pm

Happy Birthday Cookie.
Cookie man wrote:how to do a satin finish instead of gloss
All you need is satin lacquer. A gloss lacquer is a clear resin in solvent. Spray it on and the solvent evaporates, leaving the resin. Manufacturers reduce gloss by adding goop called flatting base, the flatting base particles prevent the formation of a smooth surface at the microscopic level. If you open a can of satin finish that hasn't been moved recently, you will see the milky flatting base at the bottom of the clear gloss lacquer. This must be stirred to distribute the flatting base evenly.
Bob Connor wrote:Maton use Mirotone 3220/30 for their satin finish, or at least they used to.
I'd bet money the /30 stands for 30% gloss. Manufacturers usually offer lacquers in varying gloss levels.
Keep in mind that once you have a satin finish it can usually be shined up by rubbing back or polishing, which may or may not be the effect you want.
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything. - Wyatt Earp
http://www.cutsetter.com.au

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:25 am

Thats interesting Giz

Steve

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:50 am

You can get a satin look also by using the gloss product and then using 0000 steel wool over it. Not quite the same look, but if you've got the gloss and don't want to fork out the extra $$$ for another can of product, then that is the way to go.

You should know as well that a satin finish....the one that has the flattening compound (usually talc) added is no where near as hard as the full gloss equivalent. And while it is possible to shine up the satin gloss one a little by buffing it. It's impossible to get the same look as the full gloss version. The flattening compound clouds the finish. The amount of cloudiness varies with the amount of build you have.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:46 pm

I don't like gloss finishes on guitars :P :P :P
Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

Cookie man
Myrtle

Post by Cookie man » Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:31 pm

rocket wrote:I don't like gloss finishes on guitars :P :P :P
Neither do I :D That's why I asked..

Thankyou everybody for helping me! :cl
needsmorecowbel wrote: Markus it doesn't count when you briefly duck out the shed, make a fly fishing rod, then catch a trout from your hand carved canoe, package it (with the hand made vacuum machine) and then take a photo with your home made electron microscope....
:lol:

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:49 pm

I like them....I just dont like doing them. :D

Actually I dont mind gloss tops wilh satin back and sides a la Martin D16GT ...I have done one like that and I thought that it looked good too.

John
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

luke_lee
Sassafras

Post by luke_lee » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:12 pm

I have achieved a nice satin finish with a gloss product. I do a few coats with light sanding between. When there is enough finish on it I sand it fairly flat with 400-600 sandpaper and spray a finishing coat. The trick is to set the volume control on the spray gun to almost none (just a tiny mist) and the air pressure high, this leaves a even satin finish and covers the sandpaper scratches.

Luke

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:50 pm

Great tips everyone ty for sharin.
And Allen talk about common sense I reckon it sure is easier to dull a shiny surface than polish a dull one to shine.

Steve