Lacey Act again

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Lacey Act again

Post by peter.coombe » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:12 am

An interesting new development.

http://www.namm.org/public-affairs/arti ... -declarati

This sounds very sensible to me. The 10% rule would allow us to export our instruments to the US without spending hours on paperwork. Most of the value in our instruments is labour. Let's hope this gets up, but I am not holding my breath.
Peter Coombe - mandolin, mandola and guitar maker
http://www.petercoombe.com

christian
Blackwood

Re: Lacey Act again

Post by christian » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:53 am

Thanks for posting the update Peter !!
Indeed, sounds like a very good idea, heres hoping.

Cheers,
Christian.
Why does the eye see a thing more clearly in dreams than the imagination when awake?
Leonardo da Vinci

www.christiandruery.com

ChuckM
Wandoo

Re: Lacey Act again

Post by ChuckM » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:14 am

The suggestions make a lot of sense and would be very welcome to those of us with stockpiles of wood that date back well beyond the 1981 date mentioned in the NAMM document.

There are still pitfalls for recently purchased wood though. Long years of opportunistic purchasing have trained many of us to grab good wood where we can find it. Many current and former instrument makers are dumping stock of once prized woods on auction sites. This wood still brings high prices, but few of these sales come with any documentation that would be useful when ex/importing. Much of this material easily predates the 2008 amendment date, but how does one prove that ? This is a new facet of instrument making that adds challenges to an already challenging pursuit.
Chuck Morrison