Humidity

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:41 am

One of the guys on the Luthierforum mentioned that he made a visual indicator to see how the RH was affecting the wood in his tops: once he had his shop right at about 45%RH for a few days, he glued together 2 long skinny pieces of Spruce, one with the grain going the long way (like a wide piece of binding), and one with the grain going cross-ways (like a back reinforcement strip.) He says it is a really good quick visual indicator of how the wood in his shop is reacting to the RH - in some ways better than even an accurate hygrometer.

I thought it was a good idea, and may make one when I finally get back to the 45% range.

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:03 am

showtell wrote:Hey Bob,

I started my own research on Humidity after your post. Check out this supplier: http://www.dampsolutions.com.au/catalog/index.php
Ive got a 20L/day machine I got from these guys. The service is good but the machines are Chinese made and the humidistats arent that accurate.

The Mitsubishi dehumidifiers are a better machine but for some reason Mitsubishi no longer supplies these machines to the Australian market. Theyre very popular in New Zealand and there are usually second hand ones available on trademe. If youre planning a trip to NZ it would be worth looking at bringing one back with you.