CHISELERS !!!

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

BillyT
Blackwood

CHISELERS !!!

Post by BillyT » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:29 pm

I ran across this on an art site. The builder doesn't have a site or much info, but I was wondering if any of you guys have any familiarity with doing this kind of carving, doing it yourself, or seeing it done.

I, myself Billy Dean Thomas, :roll: :lol: has done a little myself mostly as a repair on furniture and the only complaint I got was it was clearer, more defined, than the original :shock: ! I did a claw foot replacement on a seraphim on a beautiful art deco piece but nothing like this.

What I was interested in is the edged carving is a little rounded and if this was done with a radiused chisel or worked in after in sanding. Either way I thought you guys might like seeing it too, so enjoy!
Last edited by BillyT on Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BillyT
Blackwood

Post by BillyT » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:14 pm

Here's a closer look

BillyT
Blackwood

Post by BillyT » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:35 pm

Here's one a little more understated

Another

Sam Price
Blackwood

Post by Sam Price » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:40 am

Hi Billy,

I was a wood carver/artist before I got into luthiery. I am familiar with this technique, although I have never been tempted to try carving on a guitar- for some reason it doesn't really appeal to me- although I do like the way the trees are carved on the hollowbody- it has given me an idea, actually.

If you mean where the holes are with the tree's branches, I would carve those with a small chisel with a slight skew, and rolled-up sandpaper to neaten up the edges.

Did you say you carved, too? It's a brilliant hobby, isn't? Just so happens I enjoy making guitars a little bit more.... :D

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:00 am

No but I just had to get my avatar in your thread...... :D

BillyT
Blackwood

Post by BillyT » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:52 am

Sam wrote:Did you say you carved, too? It's a brilliant hobby, isn't? Just so happens I enjoy making guitars a little bit more.... :D

No reason why you can't do both :!: :lol:
I have some pix of some Chinese guitar/mandolin/mando something somewhere where somebody did some carving on it of this type! Some of it's really nice looking, though more crude than this guys work. Carving seems to take an inordinate amount of time, of course that could be because I'm not that adroit at it! :lol:
Hesh wrote:No but I just had to get my avatar in your thread...... :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Uhn Huhn! Directions

BillyT
Blackwood

Post by BillyT » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:00 am

Sam wrote:Did you say you carved, too? It's a brilliant hobby, isn't? Just so happens I enjoy making guitars a little bit more.... :D
No reason why you can't do both :!: :lol:

I have some pix of some Chinese guitar/mandolin/mando something somewhere where somebody did some carving on it of this type! Some of it's really nice looking, though more crude than this guys work. Carving seems to take an inordinate amount of time, of course that could be because I'm not that adroit at it! :lol:
Hesh wrote:No but I just had to get my avatar in your thread...... :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Uhn Huhn! Directions !!!!! <-You must click here now!

Dave Anderson
Blackwood

Post by Dave Anderson » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:21 am

I'll tell ya, I love the look of the hollow body !! That is beautiful work.
As said though,It must take a lot of time. i don't think I would have the patience to try it.
Those trees look awesome! The other guitars are very cool too!
Dave Anderson
Port Richey,Florida

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:35 am

Hi guys,

would anyone do that to their new, you bewt, major exy spruce? That said Ii opens up a bunch of possibilities. Ive seen lots of carving on necks and headstocks but never on the soundboard... if it can be called that on an electric.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:35 am

If you want to see some intricate carving check out some of the carved rosettes on lutes. One of the GAL Big Red Books has an article on carving these things...forget which BRB and which luthier it is.

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:58 am

OK another carving site,

http://www.violinguitarmaker.com/ as it says, peace and love man.

Ive also been looking at roses for Lutes, Ouds, guitars and yes Citterns. Kiwi do you have the rose making articles you mentioned? Im planning #2 and well.... I have this Kangaroo vellum and am considering a rose.

Sebastiaan

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:13 am

Sebastiaan,

The articles are in GAL The Big Rd Books. Im out at work off the coast of NT at present so dont have access to my library. Ill be home in about a week and will fish out the articles for you then.

Cheers Martin

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:11 am

Thanks Martin,

Sebastiaan