GAL Big Red Books

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Allen
Blackwood

GAL Big Red Books

Post by Allen » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:47 am

I see that Stew Mac is selling the GAL Big Red Book series. I've never seen them, but always thought that they should be something that would be a good reference on the book shelf.

As it will cost about $100/book by the time shipping is added, do those of you that have seen these books think it's a worthwhile investment?
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:05 am

Yes...definitely....no doubt....pawn your grandmother to buy them!!

I rarely have a day in the workshop without consulting the BRB's.

If you join up with the GAL you get a special price on the books and when a new one comes out you get your hands on it before the retailers do. BRB #5 has just come out. My copy should be arriving in a month or two.

Cheers Martin

Arnt
Blackwood

Post by Arnt » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:51 am

I don't have them all, but the ones I have are are great. Much info on a wide variety of subjects; I bet you can find an index of some sort at GAL web site. I should really get them all...
Arnt Rian,
Norway

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:38 am

Yep, love them. They are 40 bucks US on the GAL site. You got to be able to get them into Australia for much less than 100 $OZ. Just wait until the US economy tanks a bit more and the $OZ will be close to parity.
Dom

joel
Blackwood

Post by joel » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:55 pm

I've thought about buying them for over a year now. The price has been the main reason that I haven't bought them yet. All of my pocket money goes to tools or wood at the moment. But they are on the wish list.

What about the "Lutherie Tools" and "Lutherie Woods and Steel String Guitars" books. Are they worth getting too?
- If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs. - David Daye.

- The mouth of a happy man is filled with beer. -

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:43 pm

Dominic wrote:Yep, love them. They are 40 bucks US on the GAL site. You got to be able to get them into Australia for much less than 100 $OZ. Just wait until the US economy tanks a bit more and the $OZ will be close to parity.
Dom
Should be by next week then with our interest rate bound to go up. :lol:

If I buy all of them at once then the shipping is a tiny bit more reasonable. Comes to $300 for all 4 books. I'll go over to the GAL and see if I con get a better deal by joining.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

joel
Blackwood

Post by joel » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:23 pm

Or a better deal with a group buy? :lol:
- If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs. - David Daye.

- The mouth of a happy man is filled with beer. -

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:42 am

I bought a couple of these when I started several years ago, looked at them in my library (my bathroom..... :oops: ) and never looked at them again.........

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:28 am

Hesh, I wasn't going to admit it, but after running through them a few times, I haven't looked at mine either.

:oops:

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:43 am

Now I feel better Lillian. I did notice that there are a lot of pics of guys that that I saw at the Hearldsburg Guitar festival who used to have hair........ :D

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:16 am

I'm sort of the same. I use them as references for what ever I'm planning to work on- like when I was recently asked to build an acoustic bass.

But other than that I don't look at them much, but then I've got a couple thousand books to choose from. I guess I'm a book hoarder (but at least I'm not a neat freak :wink: ).

If you are planning on buying them, and they are great reference books, buying them all at once is gonna kill you on freight fees. Better to add one to each stewmac order. I guess that'd end up costing the same, but at least it'd spread out the costs.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:23 pm

Im ashamed to say my Big red Books get rotated through the dunny library...theres usually a Big Red Book open when Im on the throne.

:toi

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:24 am

kiwigeo wrote:Im ashamed to say my Big red Books get rotated through the dunny library...theres usually a Big Red Book open when Im on the throne.

:toi
Personally I find the paper that they use to be rather rough........ :D :lol:

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:13 pm

Just be careful of a paper cut.

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:18 am

Allen,

If you can find out what they weigh, I can tell you what it would cost me to ship them to you. Of course, it would take a shipment from StewMac to me as well...

I'm not sure if that would be cheaper or not, but if can be of assistance, let me know.

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:27 pm

You can get book 3 and the Luthierie Tools in a flat rate box with room to spare. I don't have books 1 and 2 here at home, but if the books are about the same size you can get two red books in the box and have room left over, about the size of a large glue bottle. The flat rate box runs about $39 to Australia, if memory serves. So, if you want all the books, its going to run you $117 just in shipping.

Its a shame that I couldn't just stop by Tacoma this weekend and pick up what you want, but they don't even take phone orders.

If there is a way I can help. let me know. I don't think anyone on this forum lives closer than I do. If nothing else, its less to my house for shipping.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:04 pm

Thanks for the offers. Right now they are still on the wish and want list, so when it goes to the must have list I'll keep this in mind.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:32 pm

Generous offers, Dennis and Lillian, appreciated,

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:39 pm

Well, after posting my original question, I received a very generous offer from one of our members for a new unopened complete set of Big Red Books along with the Lutierie Tools and Lutherie Woods books for much less than half of what the they would have cost not even taking shipping into account.:D

They arrived in the mail today, and now I've got heaps to read. Good thing too, because I've read every book that the library has on instrument building several times over.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:49 pm

Sheesh ya lucky bugger Allan! I have been after a set for 4 years but had soo much else I needed first I have been put off sticking my hands in my pocket for them.

One day they will come :D 8)

Cheers

Kim

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:41 pm

I've studied lots of things from botany, horticulture, politics and economics and now lutherie. I love books and buy heaps and have learned one important thing.

That is, It is a mistake to read a technical book once and think that every lesson has been learned. This is even more so with books like the BRB which is so diverse and non-linear. The lesson you learn from an article when you are at x level of proficiency, is not the same when you read the article when your are at x+n level of proficiency.
I go back to re-read for the second time an article in some journal or the BRB and take away totally different messages. Or my eyes pic out subtle differences in model design or jig specification. Always learning.

Plus I love the musty smell of books. And lets face, few would blink at spending $50 on a night out.
Dom

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:06 pm

Your so right there. I've got a set of the Best Of Fine Woodworking that I've had for 30 years. They're great to pull out every now and then and re-read. Some things that were so difficult to grasp when I first read them and tried to accomplish are so simple now, but the subtleties are what intrigue me now, leading to options and variations that I hadn't considered previously.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia