My first efforts

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Kim Strode
Blackwood

Post by Kim Strode » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:20 am

Hi Joel, I'm extremely impressed with your first efforts, particularly using HHG - I still haven't moved past Titebond.

For dummies like me, could you explain the wiring arrangement of your heat blanket, with the thermocouple, along with the temperature control unit. I'm in the throws of ordering a blanket and would like to do something similar.
Kim Strode
Daylesford, Australia

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:19 am

Shame on you Joel, using a heating blanket on your first build. You should be using an offcut of boiler pipe heated on a campfire LOL:

TimS
ANZLF Approved Supplier

Post by TimS » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:39 pm

Hi Joel,

Looks like things are going well. Keep it up.

regards

Tim
[url]http://www.australiantonewoods.com[/url]

joel
Blackwood

Post by joel » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:12 pm

Thanks guys,

Allen;
That's what I tell myself too. Doesn't help when you've just watched yourself doing something stupid that you know you should have avoided.

And I got the temp controller off ebay Australia. It's a simple on/off relay controller, not a PID current controller. Got lucky and bagged it for $21 inc postage! Just have to make sure that the controller can handle 5 Amps or you'll need to use an external relay or some other electronic switching. I got lucky, the internal relay of mine is rated to 6A.

Showtell;
Don't move to HHG unless you like really strong dead cow smell. I had heard that it's smelly, but when I first smelt it I gagged. Pity we don't have a throwing up emoticon...

As for the controller wiring... Mine has power input, ie active and neutral; thermocouple input (usually + and - or K and +); and the relay contacts. The active power line I connected to the common contact of the relay. One wire of the heating blanket was connected directly to the neutral line. The other wire was connected to the side of the relay that is normally closed when getting up to temperature and open when over temperature. So you get the relay acting as an automatic switch on the active line to the heating blanket, and therefore keeping the blanket at the set temperature. A PID controller is a whole other story. Unfortunately I don't have a schematic or a scanner to scan my bad drawing. If you haven't worked with mains wiring before or are unsure, please don't just have a go. You can easily kill yourself.

Jeff;
I did briefly think about using a pipe internally heated with one of those brazing blowtorchs, but I thought that playing with mains electricity was safer! TIC.
- If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs. - David Daye.

- The mouth of a happy man is filled with beer. -

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:10 pm

joel wrote: Don't move to HHG unless you like really strong dead cow smell. I had heard that it's smelly, but when I first smelt it I gagged. Pity we don't have a throwing up emoticon...
ImageImage

Well, I don't think its that bad. If it gets old and reheated a few times, sure it gets smelly but if you mix it up fresh it's OK. Even quite homey!

I think it has something to do with how much you heat it. I heat mine just enough so it flows, no more.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:10 am

Hmmm, is it just me? I quite like the smell of HHG :lol:
Last edited by Allen on Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

ap404
Myrtle

Post by ap404 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:28 am

re HHG

I have learned to love the smell. I couldn't imagine a guitarmaking vegan getting in to it tho.

It's part of the sensory connection to the job.
I tend to use it mostly for repairs to vintage instruments, and the anachronistic smell along with all the hand tools that go with the job, helps to transport me away from my day job to a better place ( ... the shed )