Heating Blankets

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

SteveF
Myrtle

Heating Blankets

Post by SteveF » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:04 pm

Hi Guys.
I need some info on heating blankets(der),LMI sells a blanket for around $100 add shipping to that and it gets expensive.
MEI has an approved blanket but you need a pilots lisence to order it(has anyone got some simple instructions to order)
Thanks in advance.........Steve

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:32 pm

Steve Blues Creek http://www.bluescreekguitars.com/ in the states, John Hall, a super nice guy, has the best blankets and controllers in my opinion. I have had one of his in service for several years now and they work great.

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:35 pm

Steve, I got mine from Omega here in the US for about half of what LMI wants. Granted it was a couple of years ago, but I don't think that their prices have gone up too much. Don't know what it will run you, but it might be worth a look see.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:39 pm

Steve, I just got a blanket from MEI just before Xmas. All I did was email Jim Foote, told him what I wanted and it was in the mail in 2 weeks, no problems at all. I think that the blanket with a thermocouple was about $72. and then shipping. Was $100 + change landed at my door. I wired up a switch box to mine and regulate the temp. by turning it on and off as needed. If I every get enough money to really lash out I'd by their controller that the thermocouple plugs into.

My Blanket is 6" X 36" with a thermo couple. If you don't ever think that you'd use a thermocouple, then skip it, but I don't think it adds much to the price, so I got one installed just because.

There is a thread perhaps now in the archives about heating blankets with some good info in it.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:37 pm

Hey Steve,

Welcome to the forum M8 :D

I have an MEI blanket and I think a lot of people do without even realising it because I suspect that MEI are manufacturing for a good deal of the other resellers.

Allen is spot on, just email Jim Foote or use the online ordering system on his site using the measurements Allen specified. You don't need a thermocouple as Al suggest but adding one does give you the option to digitally control the heater if you choose to go down that road later on.

If you did want a thermocouple, choose a "J" type as these are quite common and easier to find surplus controllers for on Ebay. I went for a 240v blanket with a central exit tab to run the cabling out one end and opted for 4' or 1 metre of cable but would suggest 1.5 or even 2.

Cheers

Kim

SteveF
Myrtle

heat blankets

Post by SteveF » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:52 am

Hi Guy's
Thanks for the help.I have sent out some emails to the places you mentioned,and searched the archive for specs ,will wait and see what happens...Thanks Steve

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:54 pm

Hey Steve, stay away from the 120volt stuff from the US. To expensive to get stepdown transformers etc and i don't think they have 240volt control gear yet.

For a temp controller/timer, i have been thinking that you could use the controls from a discarded cloths dryer. They seem like the pefect thing as they would be able to handle the current, have a themo that goes from hot to cold, (off to full) and a timer, and i have one in the basement, but I am not sure if they would be compatable with the blankets. Anyone know more about this.
They also have a nice stainless drum for making slats.
Dom

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:44 pm

Good advice to stay away from 110v. Even with a step down you still have an issue with 50hz v 60hz which, for variable speed equipment especially this can be a nightmare as I understand that power tools lose substantial toque.

No difficulty getting 240v digital controllers though. There are thousands of the suckers made every day. If I could get of my behind and connect the one I have sitting in the shed that cost me $50 AU landed to the "J" type thermocouple wires I got hanging out the end of my blanket I would have one kick ass accurate system. But right now, I got bigger fish to fry as I move through this build, so switch on, switch off, will have to do for now. However I assure all that the digital controller is on the cards for the near future. 8)

Cheers

Kim

joel
Blackwood

Post by joel » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:13 am

I bought my blanet from Omega in the US before I found out about MEI. They all do 240V versions. I also got an old Temp controller off ebay and a K type thermocouple from Dick Smith. Just used all that stuff for the first time this week to bend my first sides. Everything worked a treat.
- If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs. - David Daye.

- The mouth of a happy man is filled with beer. -

SteveF
Myrtle

Post by SteveF » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:53 am

Hey All
Update on order.
I checked on the MEI site and sent emails to same and didn't get a response from(used different OS and email client as well).No worries checked out Omega.

After making enquiries I was sent to Omega.co.uk to setup account and make the order.I was sent a model pdf if anyone wants it it's here http://www.mediafire.com/?b3zxd1r3ngj around $86 for blanket + shipping and about 7 weeks to get here.The model you want is 636/5...
That's it off to finish making molds.....Steve

P.S...if you need help give me a yell(I know I don't make sense at times).......

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:10 am

I'm using a Blues Creek Guitars 110volt blanket running off a stepdown transformer (http://tortech.com.au/index.php?productID=125) via a router speed controller. Cost of the transformer was about $300. Its a 1500watt transformer which is probably a bit bigger than required for a 1080watt blanket. It all does the job okay.

As stated by others go for the 240 volt gear as you can then use a temp controller and you won't develop Guerilla like biceps from lugging around the transformer.

For bending method I follow Hesh's no nonsense method....

Cheers Martin

Dominic wrote:Hey Steve, stay away from the 120volt stuff from the US. To expensive to get stepdown transformers etc and i don't think they have 240volt control gear yet.

For a temp controller/timer, i have been thinking that you could use the controls from a discarded cloths dryer. They seem like the pefect thing as they would be able to handle the current, have a themo that goes from hot to cold, (off to full) and a timer, and i have one in the basement, but I am not sure if they would be compatable with the blankets. Anyone know more about this.
They also have a nice stainless drum for making slats.
Dom

SteveF
Myrtle

Post by SteveF » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:52 pm

Hi Martin,
I asked about 240v on the American site and was transfered to Omega UK,from there the order went to the US.No idea why they do it that way but it's their business.
I'll have to try Joels setup ,(sounds better than turning the blanket on and off)and check out Hesh's method to
Thanks All..........Steve

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:12 pm

Steve,

The temp controller makes things a bit easier but I rely more on a sizzle test and the digital thermometer that I got with my Blues Creek blanket. Im used to an elctric hot pipe and to check when that thing is hot enough a spray a bit of water on the pipe and if the water turns immediately to jumping beads then I know its hot enough. As Hesh does I give the blanket 3- 5 minutes to heat up and then wind down cauls on my Fox style bender. I then turn the blanket off and let the rig sit for an hour. I turn the blanket on for another 5 minutes and then it goes off again and the rig sits for 4-5 hours before I unclamp the side.

Cheers Martin

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:27 pm

I say keep it simple. Don't really need a controller unless you plan to bend sides while watching TV or eating lunch ...

I bend 2.5mm bass ribs 10" wide in about 5 minutes

- make up my sandwich of wet wood and blanket and tin sheet
- turn on and wait for the sizzle at the edges (2 minutes, not even)
- start the bend, turn off the heat, finish the bend and clamp.
- allow to cool (20mins) and adjust clamping maybe
- turn on again till more sizzle and turn off again and leave as long as I - have patience for. A couple of hours is usually OK.

works every time. Another way to test heat is to wait till the rib is too hot to touch on the side not touching the blanket itself. that's hot enough.

I have a long power cord and an inline on/off switch about 50cm back from the blanket. Better than reaching over to the wall in a hurry and tripping over ...

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:34 pm

I keep thinking that I want-need a controller, but I also just wired up a inline switch that I sit on the bench beside me, so it's within reach to turn on and off. I haven't even come close to cooking a side. On the contrary, I'm so scared of cooking one that I probably err on the not just quite hot enough side.

Nothing like experience though. After a few more sides, I should have the hang of using it.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia