Sydney maker's meet?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

matthew
Blackwood

Sydney maker's meet?

Post by matthew » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:37 pm

I've been thinking about trying to organise a meeting of Sydney-based makers where we can get together, bring a recent project or two and show off.

It could be a Sunday somewhere, hire a hall or something depending on numbers, set up a few trestle tables, maybe get a few demos going (bend some ribs, cut some frets, inlay demo etc ... play some instruments, ask some questions, have a BBQ lunch and then go home.

Anyone interested? Would you be happy to throw in $10-$20 to cover the hire/bbq etc? Any other ideas?

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:49 am

Matthew,

I think thats a terrific idea. Ive thought about it as well. I think a show and tell with a couple of charcoal sausages is terrific. How do we flush out some builders not on the list? I know the SE Qld guys do it through the AAMIM http://www.aamim.org.au/ Im sure they will have a mailing list for our area? I know Sydney hides a couple of world class violin guys and a harpsichord guy.

Ive been meaning to join anyway, I'll ask,

Sebastiaan

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:39 am

Sounds good to me too. I've also been thinking about setting something up so I can meet you local guys.

I was thinking of having a bbq at my place and inviting you guys over, but I'm in the middle of a reno and the house looks like a bit of a train wreck at the moment. Oh, and the dog will try to root everyones leg - time to find the tin snips.

Would we attract the numbers to make hiring a hall worthwhile?

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:17 am

I figure a medium sized school hall or community centre room is about $50 per hour, or about $200 a half-day. If we can get 20 people and chip in $15 each that leaves some left over for sausages. And if we organise it a bit and invite some players, friends etc and they chip in $5 or something, even better.

Lets see how many takers we have on this forum, then I can see who we can organise on the OTHER forum ...

So that makes three so far.

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:06 am

I would like to come too
Jeff