Soundhole or removable pickup?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

bernm
Sassafras

Soundhole or removable pickup?

Post by bernm » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:33 am

Can anyone advice regarding soundhole or removable pickups. I've browsed here and found good advice on other styles, and ended up getting a K&K for one of my acoustics. But I have a need to only temporarily amplify another guitar. I'd like to have a pickup on hand for those times when I need a pickup fora guitar that I cannot modify, for whatever reason.

Thanks
Bern

nnickusa
Blackwood

Re: Soundhole or removable pickup?

Post by nnickusa » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:02 am

I have a DiMarzio Super Natural Plus that is easily installed and removed--has foam-padded slots for the soundhole--from most guitars.

It sounds good thru my Acoustic amp, which has lots of knobs :lol: , but would clearly benefit from an off-board pre-amp. I think they've come down alot in price. When I bought mine it was $200+ in OZ, tho I had a friend send it from the US for half that....

A friend who is a professional muso reckons the biggest factor is the preamp, which I agree with....
I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am....

Cheers,
Nick

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DMI-hand ... 744?ref=hl

Luke
Blackwood

Post by Luke » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:15 am

I have a Fishman Neo D sound hole pick up that have used many times it is there cheapest bottom line pick up sounds good and would recommend cost me $75 second hand from ebay. Definitely need a decent DI or pre amp if you are going into a PA.
Cheers Luke

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:25 am

Have a look at the Baggs M1a soundhole pickup, they sound great. ..The "A" designation indicates this model is active i.e. the soundhole pick up itself has a built in preamp with volume pot and CR32 battery.

youtu.be/

Cheers

Kim