Making your own binding and purfling...

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Sam Price
Blackwood

Making your own binding and purfling...

Post by Sam Price » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:50 am

I seem to have a bit of a blind spot with this one- and would really appreciate it if anyone here could share any tips with regards to how to make your own wood binding and purfling.

I am referring to the spare strips of wood that sit around the workshop that are long enough - is it very easy making your own binding in your workshop?

Of course, lam strips can be bought from a luthier suppliers, but occasionally there's a bit of wood you'd like to be made into purfling...

Thanks for reading.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:37 am

So far I've made nearly all my own bindings and purflings. As long as I can get 5 or more pieces suitable for bindings out of the piece that I've chosen, then I'll use it. You never know when you will break a piece and need that 1 extra :D .

I thinkness the piece for depth and I always put side prufs on, so this is when I will glue on the veneer. I've been buying veneer sheets for about $6 each for a piece 800mm long by 6 inches wide. Comes in heaps of colors, and I suppose if you wanted natural wood then you could source that as well, or if you're really keen thickness this as well.

Once the veneer purf pattern is glued and dry I will take this piece to the bandsaw and slice off the binding strips, just a little wider than I need, then run them all through the drum sander to get final dimensions.

For purfs that go around the top, back and rosette, I use the same veneer sheet and just use a scalpel to slice strips about 2mm or so wide. I find that taking a few light cuts better than one deep one works best. If you try to force the cut it will tend to follow the grain rather than the line you want.

I just finished up a binding job yesterday. Once I get home from work tonight, I take a picture and post it for you.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:12 pm

Here is a binding blank that I sawed up from a larger piece that I got from Tim. I've thicknessed it to my desired depth to include either 2 or 3 pieces of veneer. It's so thin that it doesn't make any difference to me. I glue on the veneer full width of the binding blank, then once dry slice it up and run it through the drum sander to produce the binding with purfling attached like the one in the photo.

And here is the finished product installed. I also run 2 pieces on the top and back that are put it seperately (that is not glued together before they go in). I use a small syringe to place glue in the channels and then put a bit on the veneer strips, running them through my fingers to spread the glue before putting them in place and taping, then wrapping with large elastic bands.

Now if your talking about how to make fancier purflings like rope or herringbone etc. I've read how to do it, and even attempted some, but haven't been successful enough with them to be willing to install them on an instrument. Perhaps some one else has some input there.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

joel
Blackwood

Post by joel » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:05 pm

So where do you get these veneer sheets? I don't think I've ever seen these things anywhere before. Maybe not looking hard enough or in the right places. I'd love to make some of my own purfling.
- If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs. - David Daye.

- The mouth of a happy man is filled with beer. -

Sam Price
Blackwood

Post by Sam Price » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:33 pm

Thanks, Allen for the information. :) Very nice binding!

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:31 am

I'm getting it from Australia Luthier Supplies.

http://luthierssupplies.com.au/index.php?cPath=133_143

If your careful in you cutting, a little goes a long way. I just ordered 2 sheets of each color that they have because the price was good, and you never know when you might like to use a particular color. I've found that you do go through the black though. Black goes with everything. :lol:

One sheet will easily do one guitar, even if you have a few stuff ups. I've been getting nearly 2 guitars from 1 sheet, doing the rosette rings and purfs on all sides of my bindings.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:44 am

Thanks for the information Allen, you make it sound like anyone could do it.

Of course its out of stock when I follow the link......

Sebastiaan

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:54 am

Just give them an email. They seem to go through the stuff petty regularly and it might not be long before they have more in stock.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

jackspira
Kauri

Post by jackspira » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:15 pm

Theres a good veneer supplier in London Sam, Crispin and sons. I think this is them www.capitalcrispin.com They used to be in aldgate somewhere but I think they've moved out towards Woolwich
Jack

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:19 pm

I found some veneer offcuts at Reverse Garbage at the Addison Road centre in Marrickville. lengths up to about 80cm for about 20c each(!!!). i see these there quite often. various woods. No use to Sam though.

I dyed my own black with the old vinegar and steel wool recipe.

Allen what glue do you use?

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:24 pm

Thanks for the tip Mathew,

Sebastiaan

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:10 pm

And yeah I'd LOVE to know how to make rope bindings so they can go around curved outlines ... anyone??

please don't tell me they are just painted on ...

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:16 pm

Looks like striped paint...

Dave White
Blackwood

Post by Dave White » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:11 pm

matthew wrote:And yeah I'd LOVE to know how to make rope bindings so they can go around curved outlines ... anyone??

please don't tell me they are just painted on ...
Matthew,

You can make and install the rope binding piece by piece and fit round curves as you go. Here's a couple of tutorials on different methods of making it:

Uke-Talk

Harpguitars.net

You'll have to scroll down the page on the second one. Interesting that some think that you only get the 3-D rope effect when you round over the binding.
Dave White
[url=http://www.defaoiteguitars.com]De Faoite Stringed Instruments[/url]