bracing question?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

edlee
Wandoo

bracing question?

Post by edlee » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:38 pm

Can anyone help direct me in learning how to brace soundboards? I was wondering if there is any information that explains if you use this kind of brace you get this, or put it here you get this? Really would like to understand the physics behind the soundboard and backs. Thanks in advance for the help guys.
Thanks To All:
edlee

Missouri
United States

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:51 pm

Try John Mayes "Voicing" and "Advanced Voicing" dvds. Pretty much exactly the info you've asked for. I have them and they are great.

http://www.mayesguitars.com/

Just noticed that they aren't listed on his new website, but he'll have them available if you email him.

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:08 pm

I'll second that.

Great vids.

Bob

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:38 pm

PaulB i have had a look at the link you posted but i can't seem to get the email sender on the site to work. It also says he is not taking anymore guitar orders as he is fully booked up.

Have you seen his dvd on voicing anywhere else? There is a set of 10 dvds on eBay but i was just interested in the voicing side of building as that is really the most important decision making stage of building a guitar.

Cheers

Alan

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:44 pm

Alan, I know John just moved or is in the midst of moving. I've seen his complete set on eBay USA for about 180

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:21 am

John Mayes' email addy is :John at MayesGuitars dot com.

At least that's the email address he was using a few years ago and it's at the "mayesguitars" domain not the old, and now seemingly defunct, "mayesmusic" domain where he was selling his dvds.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:26 am

Lillian wrote:Alan, I know John just moved or is in the midst of moving. I've seen his complete set on eBay USA for about 180
I just snapped up a set......might as well take advantage of the healthy US-Aus exchange rate.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mayes-Instructional ... dZViewItem

Okay Ive just got the ebay receipt and it turns out this is John selling his DVDs on ebay.