Over on the MIMF

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Allen
Blackwood

Over on the MIMF

Post by Allen » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:03 pm

I was just over on the MIMF and found a post by a fellow in Belgium, that is going to a luthier school and showing some of his work on a lute and a baroque guitar. Heaps of pictures but little comment.

http://www.mimf.com/cgi-bin/WebX?50@208 ... 2cb669f4/0

I thought it was fascinating to see some of the jigs and techniques that are being used, as well as some truly inspiring work. Oh, to be able to take 4 years out of your life and attend a luthier school 8) .
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Dave White
Blackwood

Post by Dave White » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:17 pm

Allen,

Yes that's interesting - it's a shame that they removed the link to his build blog though.

Timely as Colin Symonds has just sent me a set of lute plans :D
Dave White
[url=http://www.defaoiteguitars.com]De Faoite Stringed Instruments[/url]

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:37 pm

Fabulous stuff, funny that Dave, I ordered plans and the GAL lute book yesterday..... Seems more robust than an Oud,

Tom Morici
Blackwood

Post by Tom Morici » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:36 pm

Allen,

I like both of the projects in that link, nice builds!
Thanks for posting this.
I really like the shop, I just would not want to have to share it.
I could clutter all the benchs by myself in about a week or so.

Tom

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:51 pm

I don't go to the MIMF...........

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:04 pm

Why not Hesh, did you get spanked over there? :lol:
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:44 pm

I understand Hesh. I only log in when I cruise the library, which isn't often these days.

Alan, for me its the whole controlled atmosphere. And yes I left because I was a newbie tired of getting bashed and watching others get abused.

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:57 am

Well Allen bro this is the first time that I have ever been "permitted" to express why I didn't and don't like participating on the MIMF.

As a new builder several years ago I posted a few times and people were good to me and even encouraging.

But in short order, as Lillian said, I saw others getting slammed for asking questions that were in my view sincere, honest questions. Again and again I saw people sent to the stinkin library and never once did I see anyone, member or admin, take the time to find a link in the library and post it for the person asking the question.

And there were self appointed Gods there too who in one case I thought had the maturity of a three year old.....

Now I have never been employed in a "trade" before and perhaps abusing each other is what craftsman do. Perhaps not. But it made me sick and I didn't want to be a part of anyone else being hurt.

Funny, if you look at how the MIMF is doing today, not very well in my opinion..... I am not surprised. Restrict people, suppress speech, encourage a few self appointed kings (and queens......in all possible meanings) and the place is bound to not grow or worse.

OTH the OLF was here too and people kind, funny, encouraging, and there was a prevailing atmosphere that we are all in this together too. I also liked Lance and Brock and wanted to help them build a business. Serge was at the OLF as well and he added a "down home" and welcoming component that worked very well for me personally.

So the OLF fulfilled my need to be a jerk on-line... and I just never had any thing to do with the MIMF again. Funny though, two of my closest personal friends were both banned for life from the MIMF......

Lastly - people always come back to me and say "but Hesh there is a lot of very good information there." And my feeling is that Lutherie is not rocket science and many very good builders have learned a great deal of what they know on their own and through experience and doing. So can we - each and everyone of us.

If the price of the info at the MIMF was putting up with an abusive experience on line - the price was to high for me.

If the MIMF fails I think that the owner and admins need to take a hard and honest look at themselves and consider something that every business owner has to learn no matter what the business - did I treat people well?

BillyT
Blackwood

Post by BillyT » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:30 pm

UNCLEAN !!! UNCLEAN !!!

May they all be forever tormented by the shreik of a thousand banjos! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

DEATH to the MIMF !!!!

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:39 am

BillyT wrote:UNCLEAN !!! UNCLEAN !!!

May they all be forever tormented by the shreik of a thousand banjos! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

DEATH to the MIMF !!!!
Billy are you going to make a video tape of your last wishes and how your body should be treated before you visit the MIMF and detonate yourself?????? :D :D :D :D

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:20 am

Billy, I think that's a bit harsh. The library holds a vast amount of information. I would hate to lose that, though some of it does get lost in the, ahem, editing process before it gets sent to the library. Last time I checked they were over 2 years behind.

While I will not forget being publicly and privately humiliated for a newbie question and have no desire to ever participate in a discussion again, I will use the library. I think I earned the right. I damn will paid for it.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:07 pm

I'm a little dismayed at the way this thread has turned. My intention with posting the link was to let others know about what I would consider a very talented young fellow building some rather unusual instruments.

My comment to Hesh about being spanked was my attempt at a poor joke that appears to have stirred up old animosity towards staff and some members on the MIMF. As most of us are aware, anyone that dares join in a discussion over there is subject to ridicule and abuse, but that should in no way effect having a look at someones work if your so inclined without having to expound on why you won't.

If I was a new member here, (and as there are quite a few), I would be left somewhat unsettled by reading some of these threads, perhaps thinking that this isn't such a friendly place. I know better, as you are all decent people, and sometimes humor and sarcasm can easily get misunderstood when we post.

I apologize for provoking a response from you Hesh, and I hope that we can all get back on a more positive and friendly footing.

My 2 cents. And that's all I got to say about that. :)
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:58 pm

I found what that guy was doing with his lute completely fascinating. The normal course of things in his school is one instrument per year per student, just imagine the quality of work coming from the hands of a fourth year :shock: .

I love the scalloped profile in the laminations of the bowl, it looks so classy and a real eye opener for me was how thin the bowl is when complete. I had always assumed the bowl to be much thicker, oh, and I like the sail :D

Cheers

Kim

Arnt
Blackwood

Post by Arnt » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:25 pm

I have been a member of MIMF for 8 years; I read it almost daily and occasionally still post too. Sure, the atmosphere is not as jovial as most equivalent sites, and I hate to see the way some members have gotten treated over the years, but I think most members and staff members over there are quite civil and helpful. I have disagreed with Deb and the staffers on many occasions, but I haven’t felt slapped down because of it. Many of the original members and professional builders do not post any more; quite a few feathers have been ruffled I guess, but I think most of the “no nonsenseâ€
Arnt Rian,
Norway

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:39 pm

Kim wrote: a real eye opener for me was how thin the bowl is when complete. I had always assumed the bowl to be much thicker
That's the main reason why there are so few original old lutes still in existance. They've all been sat on ...

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:05 am

Allen my friend thank you for the needed level set and no apology is needed from you. In fact I apologize to you and everyone else for going off on my tangent - I am sorry folks.

ap404
Myrtle

Post by ap404 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:27 am

If I was a new member here, (and as there are quite a few), I would be left somewhat unsettled by reading some of these threads, perhaps thinking that this isn't such a friendly place.
I was encouraged to read your post tonight Allen.

As a very new member here , I have to admit that my first reaction on reading a couple of the above posts was to look up forum policy to see how I could de-register, erase my posts and get the 'truck' out of here ...

I've been building instruments for 6 years ( not long in the scheme of things ) & I've been registered at MIMF for close to 8 years. I read it every couple of days and recognise names common to both forums here. I have never experienced any form of oppression or mistreatment there. It is the most 'on topic' forum imaginable, a rare thing.

The only forum thread I've ever hesitated at posting onto is this one right here. It's made me think. That's a good thing I suppose.

Like others, I hesitate to prolong this strange thread by posting at all, life's too short. ( I could be in the shed, binding bass guitar bodies and inhaling superglue ). I like the feel of ANZLF, there's no way it's going to be like MIMF or OLF or any other forum, and that's great.

The last thing I want to do is provoke or get all 'luthier than thou' on anyone, ( I know that no two people read the level of irony in a written sentence the same way ) but I feel I have been adressed twice here in a way, once as a MIMF member/user and then again, very differently by Allen ( who read my mind ) as one of ANZLF's newest newbies.

Message me if you want to hail me with horned emoticons of death. :)

... anyway, I love banjos, a thousand of them would be a rare treat. :)

err ... how ' bout that lute. The thing that immediately impressed me was the 'plywood universal joint' thing that it's sitting on. I could use a big one of them with padded jaws for holding bodies.

cheers, A.P.

BillyT
Blackwood

Post by BillyT » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:17 pm

Hesh1956 wrote: Billy are you going to make a video tape of your last wishes and how your body should be treated before you visit the MIMF and detonate yourself?????? :D :D :D :D
DEATH TO THE GREAT SURAN!

OLF/ANZL AHKBAR !!!
OLF/ANZL AHKBAR!!!
OLF/ANZL AHKBAR!!!

I am prepared to DIE
:D :D :D :D :D

The Ayatollah Serge Bin Poirier confirms it!

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:30 pm

matthew wrote:
Kim wrote: a real eye opener for me was how thin the bowl is when complete. I had always assumed the bowl to be much thicker
That's the main reason why there are so few original old lutes still in existance. They've all been sat on ...
I guess theres not much chance of anyone sitting on a double bass.....

Larry Davis
Sassafras

Post by Larry Davis » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:26 am

Sad thing about a person with poor judgement is they never know it. They just wonder why things happen to them.

Caution is the word... :x
Still searching for the mother of all figures.

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:25 am

Hysterical Billy bro!!!!!!

Of course you are now going to get a visit from the Bush police and a subsequent water boarding but hey - there is nothing good on TV tonight anyway....... :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:08 am

Not even the primaries?
make mine fifths........

BillyT
Blackwood

Post by BillyT » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:08 pm

Hesh1956 wrote:Hysterical Billy bro!!!!!!

Of course you are now going to get a visit from the Bush police and a subsequent water boarding but hey - there is nothing good on TV tonight anyway....... :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
Your the one who did the Ayatollah Poirier graphic right! Great job!!!

On a semi-serious side I don't begrudge anybody using "that" forum! I think that it's a rotting stink hole and use it like once a year with my nose plugged!

Unfortunately some people post some nice stuff over there and there are some good guys too !!!