&&^^^&&&&&&!!!

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

&&^^^&&&&&&!!!

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:54 am

Okay not a major disaster but Im kicking myself for not being more careful.

Ive just drilled out bridge pin holes on a steel string and one or two of the hole are a tad too big....ie the pins bottom out in the hole.

Any ideas? Filling the holes is one option. Oversized pins is the other option I guess. Might be a good enough excuse to make up my own pins.

Cheers Martin

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:43 am

Couple of possibilities

Lining the holes with a couple of coats of super glue and them re-reaming the holes. (a little bridge pin reamer is a good thing to have)

or
Making some thin shavings of whatever wood the bridge is made of and gluing them in the holes and then re-reaming, effectively bushing the holes.

or
Making another bridge :?

I think we have all overdrilled bridge pin holes at one time or another.

cheers

graham
Graham McDonald
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com

Kim Strode
Blackwood

*%^&#

Post by Kim Strode » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:18 pm

Hi Martin,

I made a similar mistake recently, although it was not on a guitar, so not as serious.

I rectified the problem by glueing taped pins (which I turned on a lathe) into the oversized holes with superglue. By making the pins tapered I was able to ensure a tight fit and the excess was removed with a small scraper plane.

The same idea might not work in your case, as there won't be much material left around the peg. As you said, the answer might be to turn your own oversized pegs.

Don't be too hard on yourself, we all make these sort of boo-boos!

Regards,
Kim Strode
Daylesford, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:24 pm

Thanks guys.

Jack Spira has kindly offered me some oversized pins that may do the trick but if they dont then Ill infill the holes as suggested and then redrill again.

Cheers Martin

Kim
Admin

Re: *%^&#

Post by Kim » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:34 pm

showtell wrote:Hi Martin,

Don't be too hard on yourself, we all make these sort of boo-boos!

Regards,
Speak for yourself Kim! Is 60mm too deep for a string slot in a bridgepin hole?? :shock:

Cheers

Kim

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:57 pm

Whoa....!!!! Now THAT's something to get at least a little bit concerned about.

Thanks for that Kim.

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:44 pm

Kim, Where'd you get that picture? That is not your work. No way, no how.

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:50 pm

When i ream a pin hole slightly to large and the pin bottoms out I put some medium CA on a scrap and paint it on the pin. Let dry and Bob's your uncle. It works great and it works over time too.

Just don't stick the pin in for at least 20 minutes so the glue is completely dry.

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:00 pm

I think that pic came from Grumpy

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:45 pm

Dennis Leahy wrote:Kim, Where'd you get that picture? That is not your work. No way, no how.

Dennis
Hey Dennis,

I got the image from the OLF, it was a joke posted by James Burkett. James was replacing the top on this guitar and did not want to save the generic bridge. His sense of humour insisted that he remove the top as shown so he could take an image and post it in a "Slotting the bridge for slotless pins" thread. If it was my work, no way could I post such an image :oops:

Cheers

Kim

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:19 pm

Onto more serious stuff. I dabbed a bit of superglue into the oversized holes as suggested by Graham Mac and I do believe it might do the trick. The pins now go in alot tighter. A little fine tuning with the reamer and they should be fine.

Wonderful stuff that superglue.

Now onto the next little problem..finding the bldi screws that came with the Schaller machine heads.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:42 pm

Okay the more I looked at the bridge pin holes the less I was happy with the look of same. One hole was a tad out of line with the others. Sooooo........I whacked the bridge off and am making up a new one. Call me anal but its the little boo boos that get to you the most.

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:53 am

Craig, it would always have bothered you, so good for you for whacking it off! (I don't believe I've ever said that to anyone! ) :oops:

Now you have me wondering about how those current holes will line-up (or not) with the new holes you'll drill. Will you plug the holes in the top, or not worry about that?

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:16 am

Dennis Leahy wrote:Craig, it would always have bothered you, so good for you for whacking it off! (I don't believe I've ever said that to anyone! ) :oops:

Now you have me wondering about how those current holes will line-up (or not) with the new holes you'll drill. Will you plug the holes in the top, or not worry about that?

Dennis
Hi Dennis, was thinking about the holes in the top yesterday and have decided that because the new bridge will be exactly the same shape and only one hole is slightly off line Ill block up the hole in the top for that hole only.

Cheers Martin (the other kiwi on here)

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:25 pm

Dennis , I'm not the one whacking it off ! MARTIN is ! :lol: :lol: (wrong Kiwi )

Martin Geez , you sure have had your share of 'learning experiences 'latley. I really feel for you . Bravo on taking the higher ground . I can say quite confidently, Martin does it "Right " On ya mate .

Cheers ,Craig

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:19 pm

Craig L wrote: Martin Geez , you sure have had your share of 'learning experiences 'latley. I really feel for you . Bravo on taking the higher ground . I can say quite confidently, Martin does it "Right " On ya mate .

Cheers ,Craig
With you there Craig. Onya Martin your tenacity is inspiring....but then that is the first quality of a true craftsman. :D

Cheers

Kim

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:32 pm

Okay Ive finally got a new bridge made up and managed to get the pin holes perfect. I also managed to make a perfect slash on the end of my finger open with a freshly sharpened paring chisel (dont ask me for details) so no more guitar building for a couple of days. Nose picking will be off the agenda also. :?

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:54 am

Craig L wrote:Dennis , I'm not the one whacking it off ! MARTIN is ! :lol: :lol: (wrong Kiwi )

Cheers ,Craig
Right! Yikes, I'm always getting mixed up between forum handles and real names. Sorry. So, it was Martin that should have gotten the sharp end of my double entendre!

Dennis
Another damn Yank!