Reversed Kerfed Linings

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Kim
Admin

Reversed Kerfed Linings

Post by Kim » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:03 pm

I received a PM from a member asking how I produce the profile on my reversed kerfing. Just thought I would post my answer here for prosperity.
The Question wrote: I noticed on your recent post, your pic shows reversed kerfed lining inside the guitar. Could you tell me how you produce the curved edge on the exterior of the lining? Do you use a router?
I answered:

Yes mate, I double the thickness of material and allow a bit extra for sanding plus the intended ripping kerf. I then run each side of one edge across a router table fence spinning a bullnose bit. You can easily make a jig to keep the fingers clear. Then I rip it, and process through the drum sander to tidy up the glue face. Once profiled and sanded, I then kerf the stock using a Ksled.

Here's a tute I posted on the OLF on how to make a Ksled.

http://luthiersforum.3element.com/for ... f#forumTop

Here a tip to remember. When ever your using reversed kerfed linings, it is important to wet them and then clamp them in place with the solid face to the outside edge of your bent sides. Leave them to dry for at least a few hours, preferably over night, and then glue them in place on the inside edge of the side to which they had been clamped. This avoids a lot of breakage.

Cheers

Kim

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:09 am

Kim bro what I have been doing with my reversed kerfed linings is drop them in some very hot water for about 60 seconds, pad dry, and glue at once with Titebond. I rarely get any breakage any more and this tip originated from Lance K.

I also cut them to a length so that where they will be butting together it is more on a flatter spot of the guitar side and not near the waist.

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:23 am

You can also use an ogee router bit to round over the reversed linings - anyone who ever bought a router bit kit will have one of those. Rather than go out and buy a bullnosed bit especially for the job.