A Nice surprise

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Paul B

A Nice surprise

Post by Paul B » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:44 pm

I've spent today pulling out an old staircase from our house as part of our ongoing reno - have I really been doing this for 7 years?. We had a new staircase installed in our new foyer/entry. The old one had to go.

The surprise? Underneath the horrible dark stain someone covered it in, the old staircase is made from mahogany, probably Honduras mahogany. Sure looks like Honduras mahogany anyway. It was installed in the late '40s.

All 15 of the treads are 1 1/4" (32mm) thick, 10" wide, but only 29 inches or so long. So not long enough for sides, and I don't need a bunch of orphan backs. I guess it all amounts to about 15 years of necks, laminated neck blocks, and end blocks.

Now if only I can get this reno finished and find some time to start using this Mahogany. :D :D :D

Dave White
Blackwood

Post by Dave White » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:24 pm

Paul,

Nice find. 29" is more than big enough for Concert/Parlour sized guitar sides (lower bout up to just over 13") like the one I posted earlier this year. Is this Size 0 in Martin speak? If you use a mortice and tennon neck and like wider end grafts you could use them for bigger sized guitars as well. You could make some great matched all mahogany guitars from this or on those with other tops the necks and backs would match.
Dave White
[url=http://www.defaoiteguitars.com]De Faoite Stringed Instruments[/url]

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:34 pm

Hey Paul, I just measured the sides sets that I bought from Don Williams for the size 5 terz, and they are 29 " long. You have another option there M8. 8)
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:09 pm

Awesome, thanks fellas.

And I just adore little, all mahogany guitars. :D

Sometimes life is just a blast :wink:

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:19 pm

Paul B wrote: And I just adore little, all mahogany guitars. :D
Me too ya lucky bugger :D I am really happy that the wood has ended up in the hands of someone who can put it to proper use, so many people would simply identify it a good kindling :cry:

Cheers

Kim

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:59 pm

10"??

That's a magic dimension, just right for nice deep double bass ribs ...

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:30 pm

Great score Paul.

Martin O-18 side is 28"

Make nice linings as well.

Bob

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:09 am

G'day Paul,
That's incredible , and as you say , awesome.

Back and sides, necks, liners . head and tailblocks. You just can't get seasoned wood like that. As you know, since C.I.T.E.S. , Honduran Mahogany (out of Brazil )is no longer being imported here , which makes this find even more incredible

There are still some limited sets and necks available from one Australian supplier I know of . But the price hike is enormous :shock: :o :o :o

It's a fairytale story Paul , no doubt about it, and it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy ( good buddy, old mate , true friend :) :) :) )

This has got to be fate , it was found by a luthier.

Onya Paul !

Cheers, Craig

Dave White
Blackwood

Post by Dave White » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:34 pm

Craig L wrote: It's a fairytale story Paul , no doubt about it, and it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy ( good buddy, old mate , true friend :) :) :) )
Paul,

Now you know how pools/lottery winners feel when the begging letters start to arrive :D :D :D :D :D
Dave White
[url=http://www.defaoiteguitars.com]De Faoite Stringed Instruments[/url]

Sam Price
Blackwood

Post by Sam Price » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:23 am

We all have our moments when we find treasure.

Hondy hog is tricky to come by cheaply in the UK; I was at a reclamation yard recently and the foreman was trying to sell me a 9ftx1ftx4" chunk of dusty hog from an old building for £150.

I have an old Ikea style sofa made of quartered closely grained sitka spruce frames waiting to be "salvaged" when my husband agrees it's time for a new sofa.

It'll make a few four-piece tops and bracing, and however many times I approach it with a saw, he yells "OH NO YOU DON'T!!".... :D

Congratulations, and enjoy your find!!