Passing on the addiction

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

martintaylor
Blackwood

Passing on the addiction

Post by martintaylor » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:02 pm

I am currently passing on this addiction of guitar building to my son. A christmas present of a guitar build has turned into a competition of skill as he is more particular than me and won't accept anything that isn't "perfect". What have we started...
Attachments
IMG_2740.jpg
Blackwood rosette. Such a nice fit.
IMG_2740.jpg (59.31 KiB) Viewed 12715 times
IMG_2729.jpg
Blackwood back and sides. Nice flame effect with the grain on this one.
IMG_2729.jpg (92.35 KiB) Viewed 12715 times
IMG_2688.jpg
First time using a bandsaw
IMG_2688.jpg (91.23 KiB) Viewed 12715 times

Nick
Blackwood

Re: Passing on the addiction

Post by Nick » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:22 pm

Nothing wrong with his skills or his attitude towards perfection Martin, well done for introducing him to the addiction, looks like he's going to make a fine luthier.
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

P Bill
Blackwood

Post by P Bill » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:42 am

Always good to have company in the workshop, especially if they're keen.
"Were you drying your nails or waving me good bye?" Tom Waits

Bill

tippie53
Myrtle

Post by tippie53 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:41 am

Anything that allows you to share your time and knowledge with your children is more than a guitar , it is about a heritage. Enjoy the time together , it will be gone faster than you know. Cherish this time of sharing.
Member of the board ASIA
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:24 am

+1 what John hall said, I would love to build an Instrument with one of my Son's
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

Jim Kirby
Beefwood

Post by Jim Kirby » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:14 am

Tod Gilding wrote:+1 what John hall said, I would love to build an Instrument with one of my Son's
I know - I waited until I was about 45 before I hung out with my dad and built a few furniture projects. He was only around to see my first guitar. My kids are still in their early 20's - no interest yet.

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:36 am

I have built guitars with both of my sons. It has been a great bond and really good quality time. My first attempt at building was a joint project with my younger son, who was then 16. We built an OM kit together and he was very keen - we both learned heaps. About 70% of the way through that project his first serious girlfriend came onto the scene and his time/interest in guitar building suddenly disappeared. I mostly finished the project by myself, but he now plays that guitar all the time and we both feel really glad that we did it together. I have gone on to half-a dozen other instruments since and he hasn't been involved - but he is interested and understands what I'm doing.

My older son had already moved out of home by the time those events took place. But he comes around pretty often and last year he started building a solid-body electric in my workshop and I helped him with some parts of it. Now the youngest is talking about trying an archtop - so I think they have both got the bug to some degree. By the time I have some grandkids old enough to play they will be spoiled for choice of hand-made guitars!

I is a great thing to pass on whatever knowledge we might have, and to develop a shared interest with our kids.

Dave Anderson
Blackwood

Post by Dave Anderson » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:55 am

You are lucky he has such an interest. I have tried to get my son into guitar building but he has no interest at all.
It would be great to have all the time together in the shop but It's just not for him. Like John Hall said...cherish the time together. :D
Dave Anderson
Port Richey,Florida

lauburu
Blackwood

Post by lauburu » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:48 am

Try not to despair too early. It may come in time, just keep the door open.
I'm sure I'm not the only son who wanted to be different from his Dad and ended up just like him. Thankfully, I might add in hindsight.
I've ended up with his same interests and foibles and a few of his better attributes.
Miguel

martintaylor
Blackwood

Post by martintaylor » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:45 pm

Thought I'd post an update. I have appreciated all the comments. It is really interesting having to teach someone how to use equipment for the first time. Things I have taken for granted that need to be explained, realising I am probably more confident than competent and my son, being not too confident, has been taking his time and ended up doing a great job. I think I am learning just as much as he is. I encourage everyone to have a go at getting someone into their shed and sharing this creative outlet we have discovered. The challenge is competing with the additional extra curricular temptations such as mates coming round to take him out on the town but we are slowly getting there. Oh, and a side note, my son suffers from non-motivational ADHD so to get him to focus on anything for more than a few minutes has been great. There's just something about doing something with our hands, seeing something real coming into existence etc. Better than the time he spends in the virtual world.
Attachments
IMG_2795.jpg
Another nice accurate job!
IMG_2795.jpg (81.56 KiB) Viewed 12187 times
IMG_2788.jpg
Glueing in the Jarrah bindings. Gotta love masking tape.
IMG_2788.jpg (94.38 KiB) Viewed 12187 times
IMG_2783.jpg
Learning to use the laminate trimmer.
IMG_2783.jpg (93.29 KiB) Viewed 12187 times

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:21 am

A talent to nurture there Martin, I like his style! You can hardly see the join in the binding at the top, even though its going to be covered by the neck when it goes on, that's the sort of anal attention I give things too :oops: I know it won't ever be seen but I take pride in knowing it was a good'un when it was made :oops: The fact too,that he can focus on building for longer than 5 minutes where he normally can't, must be encouraging.
And I know what you mean about teaching, it makes you think about and question every thing you do because what you might take for granted or don't normally give a thought to, you have to think "How do I relay that to somebody who has never done it before?"

Congratulations to yourself & your son :cl :cl And keep the pics coming, you can't stop now you've started! :wink:
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

martintaylor
Blackwood

Post by martintaylor » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:36 am

Thought I'd finally report on the guitar my son was building. Well, after him deciding to take a gap year, and I mean a gap from just about everything, work, guitar building, etc he finally decided he wanted to finish. So with a few extra hours in the shed his guitar is finally finished. It sounds so warm with excellent sustain and he (and I) are really happy with the final result. I am more happy with the experience of doing this with him and seeing him enjoy the journey too. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:13 pm

Well done indeed guys.

Steve