The Weissenborn is finished!!!

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kathymatsushita
Gidgee

The Weissenborn is finished!!!

Post by kathymatsushita » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:52 pm

Just a quick link to the final page of my very first Weissenborn build: http://home.comcast.net/~kathymatsushit ... iss20.html
(There's a little video on that page, also, in case you'd like to hear how it looks and sounds.)

I just strung it up today. It was a really fun, different kind of project. Now I have to learn to play the thing!!!!

(Also, thank you, Bob Connor, for your help a while back when I was first beginning this project!!!)

martintaylor
Blackwood

Re: The Weissenborn is finished!!!

Post by martintaylor » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:29 pm

Lovely looking Weissenborn! Love the Australian tonewoods (and the others). Hope you have lots of joy learning to play it Kathy.

Martin

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:49 pm

That looks sweet, everything goes together well and I like the look of the finish. I could not play the video but I bet it sounds as good as it looks. I've just cut up timber for a hollow neck slide myself, will start that on Monday.
Taff

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:06 pm

Beautiful work as always Kathy, certainly a worthy display in our forum's gallery section if you feel like posting a few images.

viewforum.php?f=25

Oh and BTW, I could not open the video either...Win7 IE9..I only get the dreaded red X in the box.

Cheers

Kim

ozwood
Blackwood

Post by ozwood » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:09 pm

Awsome build site Kathy, the Finished product is pretty amazing also !

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Paul .

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:49 pm

Looks great Kathy. I really like Bloodwood bindings with Tas Blackwood. I did a 12 string in that combination a few years back.

The video works fine for me. I think you guys need to install or update Quicktime if you can't see it.

The Weissy sounds like I would expect with your bracing and the Tasmanian Blackwood. I did one last year and it sounds quite like that - lots of mids (which is great for a bluesy slide instrument), and clear definition in the highs. I think you will need to play it lots for it to "open up" and get a bit more bottom end out of it.

I've been using Huon Pine (another Tasmanian wood) for Weiss tops and I find it a little more responsive, with more bottom end and sweeter highs that a Blackwood top.

I think that the Blackwood top would be a better instrument for amplifying at higher volumes.

Regards
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Phil Mailloux
Myrtle

Post by Phil Mailloux » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:52 am

Very nice Kathy, and great site too, I remember spending a good amount of time on your site reading about your builds and jigs about 10 years ago when I started building
OzBassForum.com
MaillouxBasses.com

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:23 pm

I took a second look at the photo's you posted Kathy and realised it was the last page of a whole string of pics of the whole build, great stuff, it's good to see how others do it. Very well presented too. Thanks for sharing.
Taff

John Maddison
Blackwood

Post by John Maddison » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:49 am

Taffy Evans wrote:I took a second look at the photo's you posted Kathy and realised it was the last page of a whole string of pics of the whole build, great stuff, it's good to see how others do it. Very well presented too. Thanks for sharing.
Currently attempting a Weissy build, so +1 from me too Kathy ... :cl.

Thanks for a very comprehensive pictorial!
John M

kathymatsushita
Gidgee

Post by kathymatsushita » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:32 am

Thanks, everyone, for the very kind comments!!! It was a really fun project to do --- I just love trying out different things!! Looking at all your various message threads on building Weissenborns really helped me a lot as I tried to figure out how to build this thing, so thanks for all your posts on your Weissenborn projects!!!

ckngumbo
Blackwood

Post by ckngumbo » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:05 am

Check out Kathy's other builds too. REALLY nice work.