Norris Plane

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

martintaylor
Blackwood

Norris Plane

Post by martintaylor » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:55 pm

I have just been given a Norris plane. From what I can work out it is a Post War A5. Does anyone have any tips on getting it set up well? I have tested it and it cuts beautifully, but I'd like to know the best way to look after it and make sure t is setup really well. Also, I have never really sharpened anything well. If I was to buy some sharpening gear, what would be your recommendations? Thanks.

Allen
Blackwood

Re: Norris Plane

Post by Allen » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:16 am

If you send it to me I will sharpen, love and take care of it for you. :wink:
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

P Bill
Blackwood

Post by P Bill » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:50 am

You really shouldn't have to do much to a Norris or Norris style plane. The original factory ready planes, flat soles and irons.
I had a Spiers jack and a Mathieson coffin side smooth. The jack could be used for general bench work but the smooth only for fine work. The throat opening on the smooth was microscopic.

Many options for sharpening these days. I use natural stones, Washita, Soft White Arkansas and Hard Black Arkansas. Also manufactured German water stones, medium and fine, I use kero on all of them. Also German, med and fine, slip stones and a H B Arkansas slip. I don't know the grits but the HB Arkansas as far as anyone can tell is 1000- 1200.

60 and 40 grit aluminum oxide wheels on my grinder. They cut fast and cool if kept dressed. Get a ratty chisel and plane iron to learn on.
"Were you drying your nails or waving me good bye?" Tom Waits

Bill

P Bill
Blackwood

Post by P Bill » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:59 am

You have to be quick with the edit. Try and hone without a guide, it's not hard and simplifies the work.

Bill

martintaylor
Blackwood

Post by martintaylor » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:08 am

P Bill wrote:Get a ratty chisel and plane iron to learn on.
Thanks Bill, I certainly have a few ratty chisels and planes to learn on. I think a trip to Carbatec is on the cards, I have a gift card that is burning a hole in my pocket. I know they will have their preferences to recommend purchasing but I know you guys will have more experience. Any good youtube clips for learning how to sharpen would be good too.

Martin

P Bill
Blackwood

Post by P Bill » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:21 pm

Martin, I made these up this morning. Sorry about the production values. This is my method of grinding and honeing a micro bevel.
The honeing is in real time. The grinding takes a bit longer. I didn't show my quench bucket, but I use it alot. I don't let the tool heat up at all.

I use the grinder alot, but sparingly. My stones are 35+ years old and never been dressed and still in good nick. That's because I don't labor over them endlessly honeing.

Grinding chisels and plane irons : http://youtu.be/9fczwErO78o .

Honeing chisels : http://youtu.be/_IHcud_DITE .

Honeing chisels, continued : http://youtu.be/8h9o_EGNTwg

Bill

martintaylor
Blackwood

Post by martintaylor » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:25 pm

Wow, thanks Bill! I'll put them to the test and hopefully have all my fingers tomorrow!

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:33 pm

Martin, if you go to youtube and type in scarey sharp you'll get some options for sharpening. Wayne

martintaylor
Blackwood

Post by martintaylor » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:41 pm

Thanks Wayne. There are some scary videos out there! I have attached a pic of the plane. I took it apart tonight, cleaned out some old wood crud and put it back together, tightening it as I went. Did some fine shaving and it really does work like a dream. The blade has been sharpened but not in a perfectly straight line. I think I will attempt the resharpen. I'll let everyone know how I go.
Attachments
norris.jpg

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:02 am

Never seen this brand of plane before, looks like it has a bit of 'heft' to it Martin, planing without the effort, good find. :)
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

Gerry Coon
Wandoo

Post by Gerry Coon » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:38 am

For the absolute best in hand plane sharpening instruction, go to Lie-Nielsen and ask for David Charlesworth's video; "Hand Plane Sharpening." That is a lovely plane and deserves the best!

Cheers.

Chopper
Beefwood

Post by Chopper » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:13 am

Google them Nick,and also Holtey Planes and then put one on your wish list. They were the best of the best before Mr. Bailey started casting planes. They were full of Brazilian Rosewood too.
Cheers John
copleyaustralia.com.au

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:52 am

The Norris coffin smoothers are still regarded by many as amongst the best of the best. Last time I saw one up for sale is was ~$4k. Look after it!

P Bill
Blackwood

Post by P Bill » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:04 am

Nick wrote:Never seen this brand of plane before, looks like it has a bit of 'heft' to it Martin, planing without the effort, good find. :)
I'm a bit biased but in my opinion the Norris and Norris style infill planes are the pinnacle of British design.

There are many videos on sharpening, most geared to the newcomer. As soon as I see a honing guide that tells me A, the person has never worked in industry or B, they are selling honing guides. If you go to anyplace where people need sharp tools to do their job, they wouldn't know what a honing guide is. What you will see is a person on a stone and back working before you can add milk to your coffee.

Bill

auscab
Blackwood

Post by auscab » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:28 pm

Hi Martin,
Nice plane . I'm into Spiers infill planes and have one Norris. A few things I know about them is the pre WW2 ones were filled with Rosewood, plenty of the later ones are stained dark and work just the same.

You want to take care of the adjuster on these planes, there is a fine thread that pulls the blade back and pushes it down . The gunmetal lever cap that holds the blade and cap iron down to the bed provides plenty of clamping power and they do the job well but you should loosen it a touch when adjusting blade depth, the fine thread on the adjuster can easily be stripped out . replacement adjusters are being remade for them because so many of them fail .

auscab
Blackwood

Post by auscab » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:57 pm

Have a look at this as well .

The insides of an A5 Norris

http://www.petermcbride.com/norris_A5/

martintaylor
Blackwood

Post by martintaylor » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:09 pm

Thanks Rob. I took mine apart and it seems to be the exact model you sent the link for. Hopefully I'll get a good sharp edge on it.