Interested in Luthiery

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Zac Cause
Gidgee

Interested in Luthiery

Post by Zac Cause » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:26 pm

Hey guys, I'm Zac & Live in Newcastle, I have a few questions regarding luthiery.

So i've been interesting in building guitars since early 2011, reading various build threads, 2 books on building, drawing up full scale and scaled designs, mock ups in AutoCAD and Photoshop and various other things. I'm currently having a Headless 7 String guitar being built for me by a fellow in America called "Tom Drinkwater" if anyone wants to check him out, in which i've spoken to him about the build process and am sure it's something I want to dive in and do for myself.

My first question is regarding production guitar chains in Australia, as I'm hoping to be able to get some work even if its for free in one to get a feel for the job, I'm aware of Cole Clark and Maton but haven't found any others. Is this a hopeless endeavour trying to find employment in these places with no experience even if I'm willing to work for free to get some experience.

Second, is there anyone in Australia that actually hosts apprenticeships or even hires students that build, I'm aware of Ormsby, Ian Noyce, Chris Wayne hosting "Courses" and Ormsby was looking for an apprentice earlier but I think that ship sailed a few months ago.

Any questions or help appreciated, hope to become active on this forum and share any future builds :)

Ormsby Guitars

Re: Interested in Luthiery

Post by Ormsby Guitars » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:31 pm

Nope, still looking. Had a few resumes that look alright, but no decision has been made yet.

I need to employ someone, to find the time, to go through resumes and employ someone. Catch 22...

68matts
Blackwood

Post by 68matts » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:13 pm

Hi Zac
You could try Warren Adams from Epic Guitars in Morriset, he's a good guy and might be able to help you out in some way.
Matt

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:15 pm

Its a catch 22,

You need to have some skill base, when someone takes you on, they need you to come close to making wages, most times you wont especially in the first few years as your learning, so the best advice is start building on the side, learn the basics get the hand skills up and then go sourcing employment in the field.

Steve
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

Zac Cause
Gidgee

Post by Zac Cause » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:21 pm

Ormsby Guitars wrote:Nope, still looking. Had a few resumes that look alright, but no decision has been made yet.

I need to employ someone, to find the time, to go through resumes and employ someone. Catch 22...
Perry! Love your work, I'm sure one more resume won't hurt?
68matts wrote:Hi Zac
You could try Warren Adams from Epic Guitars in Morriset, he's a good guy and might be able to help you out in some way.
Thanks Matt, I'll send an e-mail through to him tonight.
simso wrote:Its a catch 22,

You need to have some skill base, when someone takes you on, they need you to come close to making wages, most times you wont especially in the first few years as your learning, so the best advice is start building on the side, learn the basics get the hand skills up and then go sourcing employment in the field.

Steve
Pretty much what I've assumed for the most part, I guess it's time I finally started collecting saw-dust in the garage anyways.