Another modal tuning course?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Another modal tuning course?

Post by Trevor Gore » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:03 am

Hi everyone,

I've had a few inquiries about another modal tuning course and thought it might be a good idea to head south a little as I've covered north of Sydney and west of Sydney reasonably well.

I contacted Peter Coombe (Bega, NSW) and Peter has very kindly offered to host a workshop in one of his many large sheds. No fixed date, yet, but sooner rather than later (i.e. Feb/Mar). There is a caravan park near by with the usual facilities, so accomodation very close by should be no problem.

So this is a first call for interest. Possibly close enough for the Mexicans, 3 days, $500/head for the course, delightful company (well, Peter's a nice bloke) with full printed course notes to take away. Need a minimum of 8 people to make it viable.

Attached is an outline of the typical course content. If people have specific areas of interest it may be possible to cover those if they aren't already listed. Just let me know.
Course Content_Summer 2013.pdf
(64.04 KiB) Downloaded 626 times

steve roberts
Blackwood

Re: Another modal tuning course?

Post by steve roberts » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:01 pm

Hi Trevor
I am certainly interested happy to comferm when have dates
Regards Steve Roberts

Phil Mailloux
Myrtle

Post by Phil Mailloux » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:44 pm

At $500 for a 3 day course i could definitely be tempted if you do one around Brisbane. Even willing to donate the space in my workshop/garage for it
OzBassForum.com
MaillouxBasses.com

Phil Mailloux
Myrtle

Post by Phil Mailloux » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:23 pm

Actually could you go into more details? 3 days would be from Friday to Sunday all day on the 3 days or Sat-Mon or what?
OzBassForum.com
MaillouxBasses.com

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:56 pm

Phil Mailloux wrote:Actually could you go into more details? 3 days would be from Friday to Sunday all day on the 3 days or Sat-Mon or what?
The three days are from whenever to whenever, such that it makes it easiest for all the participants of that course. So no particular span of days.

In principle I have no problem doing a course in Brisbane. The big issue, however, is the car load of gear, guitars etc. that I take with me. So the price of a Brisbane course would have to cover the travel costs/time of getting me and all the gear up there, which would inevitably put the price up.

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:53 pm

I would jump at a Brisbane course as well.
Jeremy D

Steve
Blackwood

Post by Steve » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:07 pm

I know that you were asking about Bega, but while everyone's talking about it, Brisbane's way closer and a more viable option for me too.
Steve

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:11 pm

Well, maybe there's two courses here, the one proposed at Bega and perhaps another up north. Have to say that Coffs is a lot closer to me than Brissie. Maybe the Brissie guys can head to Coffs, if Steve is able to host?

Steve
Blackwood

Post by Steve » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:05 am

trevtheshed wrote:Well, maybe there's two courses here, the one proposed at Bega and perhaps another up north. Have to say that Coffs is a lot closer to me than Brissie. Maybe the Brissie guys can head to Coffs, if Steve is able to host?
Sorry, I'd love to be in a position to host, but I don't even have a shed. Happy to help out where I can though - transport Coffs <=> Brisbane?
Steve

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:35 am

I could do coff's if you could find somewhere to host it. Be a nice little break :D
Jeremy D

kiwinoz62
Blackwood

Post by kiwinoz62 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:00 am

I live in SW Sydney & would be interested if it is held in the Sydney region.
I'm sure there would be enough people to participate.
cheers wayne . . .

'keep on strummin'

inoz
Kauri

Post by inoz » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:18 am

I'm in Perth, But I'd love to be one of the in crowd this time 'round.

Ray.

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:35 pm

OK. To date, via pms and responses on the forum here, we have:

Bega: Peter Coombe, Steve Roberts and 1 other

Brisvegas/Coffs: Phil Mailloux, Jeremy D, Steve (@ Coffs)

Sydney: Wayne

Perth: Ray

So we have 8, but spread all over the continent without a critical mass in any particular region. Consequently this is a no go at the moment unless we get a rush of late interest.

Now, for those in the far west (talking Perth, here) I will have cause to head your way in the next 6 months or so. There's a limit to what I can take to Perth, so if we do one there, someone will need to provide Chladni kit, a data projector and the like. So if there's enough of you over there, we could give it a go. Otherwise, I'll await more demand.

Thanks to all who were interested.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:53 pm

trevtheshed wrote:OK. To date, via pms and responses on the forum here, we have:

Bega: Peter Coombe, Steve Roberts and 1 other

Brisvegas/Coffs: Phil Mailloux, Jeremy D, Steve (@ Coffs)

Sydney: Wayne

Perth: Ray

So we have 8, but spread all over the continent without a critical mass in any particular region. Consequently this is a no go at the moment unless we get a rush of late interest.

Now, for those in the far west (talking Perth, here) I will have cause to head your way in the next 6 months or so. There's a limit to what I can take to Perth, so if we do one there, someone will need to provide Chladni kit, a data projector and the like. So if there's enough of you over there, we could give it a go. Otherwise, I'll await more demand.

Thanks to all who were interested.
I'd be in for a Perth course. I'm in Adelaide but Perth is where the work is so a modal tuning course could be fitted in with a business trip over west.

Kim.....are you interested?
Martin

Kim de Rijke
Beefwood

Post by Kim de Rijke » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:42 pm

I'd be in for a Brisbane course.

Cheers,
Kim (a different Kim, sorry Martin)

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:01 pm

I've had another PM concerning a Perth course, so numbers to date are:

Bega 3
Sydney 1
Bris/Coffs 4
Perth 3

steve roberts
Blackwood

Post by steve roberts » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:00 am

Hi Trevor
I can do Coffs or Bega if that helps but cant do brisbane
Bega is my first choice if for no other reason than i would like to have meet Peter.
Regards Steve

H3ytm@n
Blackwood

Post by H3ytm@n » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:27 am

I could probably do Bris, but not til late March.
Not sure if its a bit early for me though - given my limited experience that is.
Cheers
Mike

sam
Sassafras

Post by sam » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:20 am

Please count me in for the Bega course.

Regards,

Sam

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Post by peter.coombe » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:27 am

Just a few words on the proposed venue at Bega.

It is a large rural shed on our property at Kalaru, which is about 10 min drive from Bega on the Bega to Tathra road. Kalaru is a 5 min drive away from Tathra beach, and around 10 mins drive to Bournda national park and Bournda beach, one of the finest fishing beaches on the whole of the south coast of NSW. The property is slightly less than 2 acres on the outskirts of Kalaru village. Think rural - i.e. nice view, and peaceful, but primative. We have power to the shed and a water tank and our caravan is in the shed, but that is it. However, the Kalaru Countryside caravan park is one of our neighbours. They are a corner neighbour, with a gate from our property into the park so accomodation and other faciliites, including a general store, are available in the caravan park. It is a family park, so is a pet friendly park, and dogs can be let loose on our property since it is securely fenced (for small dogs). Link to the park web site -

http://www.countrysidepark.com.au/

One possibility for timing is to have it at the same time as the Candelo village festival. This is a music festival that does have a music instrument makers display. I have spoken to the organiser of the instrument makers display and she would welcome our participation, but I did mention that we were struggling for numbers so it might not happen. The display is at the Candelo primary school, under a large pergola. Acoustically excellent for an instrument display, and there is little sound spill from the main performance tents. Last festival it pissed down rain so there was not a lot of foot traffic through the display, but I did sell a mandolin, so for me it was very successful. Candelo is around 1/2hr drive from Kalaru. The festival is on Saturday 13th April.

Does that sound more tempting? Any more takers?

Peter
Attachments
Kalaru shed.jpg
Kalaru shed.jpg (331.2 KiB) Viewed 19569 times
Peter Coombe - mandolin, mandola and guitar maker
http://www.petercoombe.com

steve roberts
Blackwood

Post by steve roberts » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:39 am

Hi Peter
Thanks for the info sounds great to me i will bring my van down and stay at the park if it all goes ahead.
Fingers crossed.
Regards Steve

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:32 am

OK. There doesn't seem to be sufficient concentration of demand to warrant a course, so unless there is a sudden surge in demand, I'll put this one on the back burner for now.

Thanks to all who responded and particularly to Peter for his hosting offer.

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:31 pm

Trev,

I am probably a little green for it at the moment anyway (Just starting #2 and #3). Please keep me in mind once you have the numbers and are ready to go. I will try and make it happen no matter where it is.

Cheers.
Jeremy D