Tarkine Forest Fire

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Bob Connor
Admin

Tarkine Forest Fire

Post by Bob Connor » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:53 pm

Just read this in The Age

Tarkine Bush Fire

Which is terrible news.

It looks like it's a fair way down the coast past Savage River and there aren't many roads in that part of the woods.

I'll be down there next week so I'll find out what impact it is going to have.

Tim might find out news from that neck of the woods sooner as well.

Here's a link to a Tas Fire Service Map.

Tas Fire Service

Regardless of whether some of our wood is harvested from that area there is some beautiful old growth forest being destroyed that simply will never be replaced.

Bob
Last edited by Bob Connor on Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:03 pm

Bugger! Lets hope it pours down and puts a stop to it real soon, this is shithouse news. :cry:

Kim

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:21 am

Any rain in the forecast? Do you fight fires or manage fires in Tasmania?

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:08 am

Dennis Leahy wrote:Any rain in the forecast? Do you fight fires or manage fires in Tasmania?

Dennis
Neither Dennis, they've only just discovered the stuff down there, ain't that right Bob. :lol:

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:33 pm

Piss off Kim. You know damn well that we discovered fire down in Tassie as far back as 1995. :lol:

That fire has now covers 17,00 hectares. :cry:

Dennis they do fight fires in Tassie but this is a pretty remote part of the state, very mountainous and very few roads in that area so I reckon they're hoping for a weather moderation and rain.

To give you an indication of what it's like here at present it was 41 degrees in Geelong yesterday with hot northerly winds and 10% RH. It'd be fairly similar in Tas but maybe not quite as hot.

Bob

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:37 pm

bob wrote:Piss off Kim. You know damn well that we discovered fire down in Tassie as far back as 1995. :lol:
That may be so Bob but since then they spent the first 2 years peaking nervously out of their caves wondering what the heck it was and the next 10 dancing around it with no cloths on :lol:

bob wrote:That fire has now covers 17,00 hectares. :cry:

Dennis they do fight fires in Tassie but this is a pretty remote part of the state, very mountainous and very few roads in that area so I reckon they're hoping for a weather moderation and rain.

To give you an indication of what it's like here at present it was 41 degrees in Geelong yesterday with hot northerly winds and 10% RH. It'd be fairly similar in Tas but maybe not quite as hot.

Bob
On a more somber note. Driving winds, 10% RH and high 30's are conditions that I imagine the Tarkine is not well equipped to handle.

Sure mother nature is very adaptable and it never ceases to amaze me how quickly things regenerate after a big burn. But, when you stop to think of all the old, old growth, a lot of which over the hundreds of years they have remained standing have hollowed out with the passage of time as fungus and insects do their part mulching and feeding the root systems of these majestic masterpieces as they continue to grow upon their own debris often into no more than giant chimneys to a blaze like this, this fire really is sad new indeed. Many will simply burn to the ground, many more will be so weakened they will soon fall to a moderate storm the like of which they have stood thousands before, but thankfully, it is natures way that all who fall give up their space and energy to the new.

Everything is just matter of time 8)

Cheers

Kim

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:33 pm

Kim wrote: That may be so Bob but since then they spent the first 2 years peaking nervously out of their caves wondering what the heck it was and the next 10 dancing around it with no cloths on :lol:
Hmm. I wondered how I got those scorch marks on me arse.