Server migration

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Bob Connor
Admin

Server migration

Post by Bob Connor » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:05 pm

I had the forum turned off for a while this afternoon to migrate to a new whizz bang server.

For the technically minded out there it's now been virtualized on VMware Vsphere Esxi server and I've split my mail server on to another virtual machine on the same ESX server along with a server 2012 VM which is doing DHCP and DNS for me.

So I've put three operating systems on to one server which will save on my power bill.

The fans in the old server were getting very noisy and were starting to give me the shits so that was another reason.

While I was at it I pensioned off the imac and gave it to the missus because that was giving me the shits as well :lol: It won't do 64 bit virtualization with Oracle VirtualBox (which I need for work) so I built meself a new I7 processor machine with 32 GB of RAM and a solid state drive. Bloody thing flies.

If you didn't understand a word of what I just said don't worry. It confuses the hell out of me too and I teach it :shock:

Regards
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: Server migration

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:30 pm

Propeller head :?
Martin

Crafty Fox
Blackwood

Post by Crafty Fox » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:19 pm

I'm still trying to get my head around "new whizz bang server"; will I be able to buy one from Officeworks?
Ken

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:02 pm

Bloody hell Bob you planning on running some games on it? My "Gaming" beast only has an i5 and the thing bloody flies. It does have two graphics cards in SLI however (GTX 560 Ti's).

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:18 pm

Mmm...thinking seriously about getting a stand alone server up and running to handle my wood orders :mrgreen:
Martin

EricDownunder
Blackwood

Post by EricDownunder » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:12 pm

kiwigeo wrote:Mmm...thinking seriously about getting a stand alone server up and running to handle my wood orders :mrgreen:
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Keep Smiling,
Eric Smith

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:17 pm

kiwigeo wrote:Mmm...thinking seriously about getting a stand alone server up and running to handle my wood orders :mrgreen:

Hmmm. Make a nice little target for a wood be hacker :twisted:
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:47 pm

Bob Connor wrote:

Hmmm. Make a nice little target for a wood be hacker :twisted:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Post by peter.coombe » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:30 pm

Mmm well I understood every word, but then I have a degree in IT and spent 20yrs programming UNIX machines in C, so am an IT nerd like Bob. Nowadays it is - other half " My computer is not working, can you fix it for me". Me - "yes dear". Then me again when out of earshot - " What the ..... has she done now. Not a another bloody virus. Wasted so many hours getting rid of the last one, I told her not to do that! Time much better spent in the workshop. F..ing Windows, it should be banned". I'm trurning into a gumpy old man.
Peter Coombe - mandolin, mandola and guitar maker
http://www.petercoombe.com

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:02 am

Crafty Fox wrote:I'm still trying to get my head around "new whizz bang server"; will I be able to buy one from Officeworks?
This was considered a whizz bang server in it's day
:mrgreen:
peter.coombe wrote:Mmm well I understood every word, but then I have a degree in IT and spent 20yrs programming UNIX machines in C, so am an IT nerd like Bob. Nowadays it is - other half " My computer is not working, can you fix it for me". Me - "yes dear". Then me again when out of earshot - " What the ..... has she done now. Not a another bloody virus. Wasted so many hours getting rid of the last one, I told her not to do that! Time much better spent in the workshop. F..ing Windows, it should be banned". I'm trurning into a gumpy old man.
I think windows has that effect on a lot of us Peter :wink: My partner is the same, downloads all sorts of stuff then wonders why her laptops not going right. :roll:
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:45 am

Nice to hear Bob although I am not sure what I heard. Lucky it didn't have to spend six months on Christmas Island.

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

martintaylor
Blackwood

Post by martintaylor » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:35 am

My wife, when studying an art degree a few years ago, wondered what had happened to her computer when things went terribly wrong. Turns out the art piece she was researching was based on images of viruses (she has an auto immune disease) and she had been searching 'virus' and pretty much downloading whatever she found in case it would be useful to her research. She didn't see the connection. My solution was to get her a Mac.

MattW
Myrtle

Post by MattW » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:40 pm

I always noticed this forum loaded 10 times quicker than other forums I frequent. A bit of downtime and its up again fast as ever.

Thanks for the efforts Bob!

May your Esky server remain cold and full of beer!
Cheers

Matt