to seal or not to seal

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

rocket
Blackwood

to seal or not to seal

Post by rocket » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:42 am

In the past i haven't sealed the binding rebate with a coat of shellac prior to glueing in the binding, whether using timber or pvc, not because i didn't deem it necessary i just didn't think of it, and as yet i've been lucky i suppose, had no bleeding of natural colour from the binding into the back or top.
I've got a pure blonde build on the go with Jarrah binding and thinking that to be on the safe side i'd seal the rebate especially on the spruce top just incase it decides to bleed.
Any thoughts on this? in regards to necessity, sealing methods,and the use of Titebond in the sealed rebate.

Cheers,,

Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

kiwigeo
Admin

Re: to seal or not to seal

Post by kiwigeo » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:45 am

Rod,

I've never sealed my binding channels but from reading around the shellac doesnt seem to interfere with the Titebond glue joint.
Martin

steve roberts
Blackwood

Post by steve roberts » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:45 pm

Hi Rod
I don't seal rebates either because I don't like to do anything that may affect my glue surfaces. I did a build last year and used jarah bindings and I had no problems - but it is always beter to be safe than sorry!
Regards Steve

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:01 pm

My "Shed" guitar has Jarrah binding directly onto a radiata pine top and light red meranti sides. Glued straight on with Titebond Original, no pre-sealing, no top purfling, no issues.

56nortondomy
Blackwood

Post by 56nortondomy » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:44 pm

I always seal the the purflings and binding, but not the channel, i've had no issues so far. Wayne

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:42 pm

Thanks for all the input there,, i think i'll proceed as normal.... unsealed rebate. This build has has a Jarrah lamination running down the centre of the back and neck and when laminated the blanks i didn't detect any signs of bleed on either and the laminations and bindings are cut from the same billet so i think i'm pretty safe.
Cheers,,

Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:56 am

I always seal or rather size the rebates with HHG. Works every time.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

DaveW
Blackwood

Post by DaveW » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:44 pm

Ive used jarrah a couple of times for binding and centre strips in necks and never had an issue with bleeding ,
but this thread interests me as I have just used a red veneer in a headstock and although it didnt bleed into the other woods it was only luck that it was sandwiched between a couple of fairly dark woods I think that saved the issue as the titebond turned "pink"
I want to use a red purfling in the top basically W-B-R up against the sitka top ,will shellacing the binding channel stop it bleeding or should I shellac the purfling as well before I glue it ,I usually use CF for my bindings,and I know shellac is compatible with most finishes but is it the same with glues ?
Dave
The Older I Get The Better I was ?