Visual Analyzer on a Mac

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

pat foster
Myrtle

Visual Analyzer on a Mac

Post by pat foster » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:17 pm

After reading past posts around these parts about an equivalent to Visual Analyzer for the Mac, I poked around and came up with this solution. Crossover, from http://www.codeweavers.com allows Visual Analyzer to run on an Intel Mac. The lowest price, without support, for Crossover is $39.95 US. I got an email from them offering a discount down to $29.95 US, which may have been sent because I'd bought Crossover years ago, so I'm not sure if the discount is generally available. They offer several versions, for Mac OSX 10.4 to 10.8. I've tested it on 10.5 with Crossover 11.2 and 10.8 with Crossover 12.2. I found one issue on both versions, which is that the drop-down menus for settings such as buffer size and sample rate may stop working, but I can't seem to find what causes it. Values can still be entered, and it remembers the settings, so it's not an issue once the setup is done. I've tested only those functions related to checking mode frequencies and they seem to work well.

Installation was simple. I created an account at the Codeweavers site, paid for the application, downloaded and installed it. On first launch I registered it using my Codeweavers site login name and password. I quit Crossover, then downloaded the VA application installer exe, launched the installer, which in turn caused Crossover to launch. The installer ran, looking like the install on a windows box. When completed, VA ran fine.

I did get good results from Audacity, but it's not quite so well-suited as VA.

Hope this is helpful.

Pat

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Re: Visual Analyzer on a Mac

Post by Trevor Gore » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:53 pm

Thanks for posting that, Pat. It should be a great help for Mac users.