Another Newbie

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

lucpet
Beefwood

Another Newbie

Post by lucpet » Sat May 18, 2013 9:17 am

Hi my name is Luke (53yo) and I've played guitar on and off for years, and recently took to playing the Ukulele.
I did this because of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dupuytren's_contracture in my right hand and find the smaller
size of a uke much easier to play.
I'm also lefty and have always had trouble finding just what I want so I've decided to build it.
I've also had some real health issues which have left me on a pension and with limited finances but none of these things are going to slow or stop me :)
I'm gathering information on building stringed instruments from all over the place as well as places I might build this in Canberra, so far I've found a place to build http://www.woodcraftguild.org.au/ but have yet to join.

I was going to ask about the timber blackbut as a timber for fret board but some goggling answered some of those questions but if anyone here would like to offer any advice I might be able to use I'd be eternally grateful.
"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work.
When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." -Edison

colburge
Blackwood

Re: Another Newbie

Post by colburge » Sat May 18, 2013 9:36 am

Hi Luke

I have only built the one guitar and never a uke, so may not be the best to advise on material. I will provide a link to Tim's website, who is a forum member and provides quality Australian timber at good prices. http://australiantonewoods.com/index.php?cPath=30_78 $10 seems excellent to me for a fingerboard.

Tim recently had a sale here in the forum where I got some stuff. The sale has finished long ago, but have a look at what the timber sold for, and you will get a very good idea of what a Uke made from quality timber will cost you. I have to admit that when I first decided to build a guitar the price of timber shocked me a bit. It is expensive for a reason though, considering it has to be felled, cut up, transported out, stored, dried etc.

I went off on a tangent there! Have fun with your build.

Col

lucpet
Beefwood

Post by lucpet » Sat May 18, 2013 10:25 am

Thanks Col I'll check them out.
"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work.
When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." -Edison

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun May 19, 2013 6:28 am

I started out with extremely limited space and next to nothing in the way of tools, so joined up as a member of the Cairns Woodworkers Guild. It was a fantastic way to get access to machinery I had no way of putting into the garage of a rental we were living in. Also met some like minded people who love working in wood. Even though I now have my own workshop filled with machinery, I'm still a member and highly recommend taking advantage of these types of facilities in your town.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

steve roberts
Blackwood

Post by steve roberts » Sun May 19, 2013 12:50 pm

Hi Luke
Welcome to the fourm i am also a leffty and got sick of walking into guitar shops and only finding 1 or 2 lefthanded guitars - if i was lucky - so started building and fell in love with the craft I am sure you will too.
I know you will find all the help you need here on the fourm they are a great bunch of people .
Regards Steve

soulman
Blackwood

Post by soulman » Sat May 25, 2013 6:49 pm

I started building Ukuleles for practice to build a guitar. Got hooked on them and still haven`t got to my guitar. Careful they are addictive. :D

lucpet
Beefwood

Post by lucpet » Sun May 11, 2014 4:09 pm

Thanks again everyone
I found this chart of Jenka hardness for Aussie timbers
http://www.mountaintimberproducts.com.a ... ss-ratings

Bruce McC
Blackwood

Post by Bruce McC » Sun May 11, 2014 5:53 pm

Hi Luke

Welcome to the forum. There are a few forum members in Canberra
and some even make ukes (why? :lol: :lol: ). Will PM you and see
if we can catch up one day.
Bruce Mc.

MattW
Myrtle

Post by MattW » Sun May 11, 2014 10:00 pm

Hi Luke

Welcome to the forum. I also have dupuytrens in my right hand which means I can't finger pick too well anymore :| and I have switched from playing to building partly because of this. I am halfway through my first build at the moment.

If you're not setup for building yet with tools etc I would think about purchasing a kit such as this one http://australiantonewoods.com/product_ ... cts_id=189 where the requirement for the heavier machine tools is not as urgent. There are also some threads on the forum regarding what tools you should get first to begin this addictive endeavour :D

Keep reading like you're doing and good luck!
Cheers

Matt