pore filling epoxy - type

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

colburge
Blackwood

pore filling epoxy - type

Post by colburge » Fri May 31, 2013 1:16 pm

Hey Guys

Anyone use Botecote Epoxy to pore fill their instruments? I see Allan used West System epoxy in his pore filling video and I think most others use the same, just wondering if there is a reason. I am familiar with Botecote from when I built a boat and a canoe and it is a bit cheaper than West System, so was thinking of using it. For those of you that do use West System, what hardener do you reckon?

http://boatcraft.com.au/Shop/index.php? ... f54eae8cfa

Cheers

Col

colburge
Blackwood

Re: pore filling epoxy - type

Post by colburge » Fri May 31, 2013 1:36 pm

Just realised I put this in the wrong section of the forum sorry.

Col

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri May 31, 2013 6:07 pm

I've switched to BoteCote about a year ago.

Apparently West Systems went through there suppliers an told them that they had to order as much as what they were doing in a year every month. Guess they thought that was a good marketing ploy. Well it turns out I'm glad that they did, because it forced me to switch to something else. And BoteCote turns out to be one hell of a lot better to work with.

It's far more forgiving of mixing ratios. And scrapes and sands heaps easier than West Systems.

I use the tropical hardener mix and the Crystal Resin along with their thinning agent when I feel the need for it. Forget what they call it now.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

colburge
Blackwood

Post by colburge » Fri May 31, 2013 7:27 pm

Allen wrote:I've switched to BoteCote about a year ago.

Apparently West Systems went through there suppliers an told them that they had to order as much as what they were doing in a year every month. Guess they thought that was a good marketing ploy. Well it turns out I'm glad that they did, because it forced me to switch to something else. And BoteCote turns out to be one hell of a lot better to work with.

It's far more forgiving of mixing ratios. And scrapes and sands heaps easier than West Systems.

I use the tropical hardener mix and the Crystal Resin along with their thinning agent when I feel the need for it. Forget what they call it now.
Thanks Allen,

I still have some left over, so I'll try it on the next build. I seem to remember I used acetone to thin last time I used it, but I'll give the proper stuff a try this time.

cheers

Col

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Post by liam_fnq » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:49 pm

Boat Coat sand like a dream.

Anyone that wants some 3/4 full tubs of west systems can fish it out of my bin.

colburge
Blackwood

Post by colburge » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:06 pm

liam_fnq wrote:Boat Coat sand like a dream.

Anyone that wants some 3/4 full tubs of west systems can fish it out of my bin.
:lol:

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:27 am

Moved this topic from the tutorials forum for open discussion in the build forum.

Cheers

Kim

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:43 am

Is the BoteCote product a guaranteed clear coat? (i.e. guaranteed not to go white down the track?)

colburge
Blackwood

Post by colburge » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:17 pm

Trev

I don't about guarantees, but I have used it on 2 canoes and a boat, which are now 3 years old, and the canoe has been sitting in the sun that whole time with just a couple of coats of Spar Varnish and it certainly hasn't gone white or deteriorated at all. I think one of the selling points over their rivals is that is doesn't get amine blush, it might be sales spin though.

Col

P Bill
Blackwood

Post by P Bill » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:35 am

Just a little off topic. I use another bote cote product but not for grain filling.

http://boatcraft.com.au/Shop/index.php? ... x&cPath=49

This is a paste and is mixed 1 to 1, it's pre thickened with cabosil , fumed silica. It can be coloured with wood dust to use as a bog, otherwise it dries white/grey. I use it for awkward to clamp areas, no clamps, no drips or runs. It's 24 hr set and can
be pared like very hard cheese. Also gap filling and strong across the gap. 600ml lasts me about a year.
"Were you drying your nails or waving me good bye?" Tom Waits

Bill

colburge
Blackwood

Post by colburge » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:47 am

P Bill wrote:Just a little off topic. I use another bote cote product but not for grain filling.

http://boatcraft.com.au/Shop/index.php? ... x&cPath=49

This is a paste and is mixed 1 to 1, it's pre thickened with cabosil , fumed silica. It can be coloured with wood dust to use as a bog, otherwise it dries white/grey. I use it for awkward to clamp areas, no clamps, no drips or runs. It's 24 hr set and can
be pared like very hard cheese. Also gap filling and strong across the gap. 600ml lasts me about a year.
If you did decide to use botecote epoxy as a grain filler you can also add 'Fillet & Glue Filler Powder' (which is cheap) to make it into a paste of whatever consistency you like. This stuff is unbelievably strong, you will never separate the pieces again. Absolute brutal on edge tools though, blunts them is seconds, so mask and clean up well if using it.

Col

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:24 am

What do finish with over the Bote-Cote? I assume shellac would work but what about TruOil?
make mine fifths........

colburge
Blackwood

Post by colburge » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:43 am

sebastiaan56 wrote:What do finish with over the Bote-Cote? I assume shellac would work but what about TruOil?
Bote-cote would be no different than any other epoxy when it comes to finish. From what I have read on the forum you can put tru-oil over an epoxy pore fill without a problem. I know Nick finished a guitar in tru-oil recently but am not sure if he used epoxy, he might pipe in and confirm for you.

Col

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:30 pm

If you mean mine, Col, it was NZ Heart Rimu' from Christian. No pore filling required.

Love that. The pore filling has been a bit of a bother for me, but I've worked out a method with shellac and wet/dry paper that works for me. I think I'll forgo the epoxy as long as possible. Trying to find less toxic alternatives......

I have read a technique for pore filling using just shellac that keeps the pores clear, that I think I'm going to try on a blackwood parlour I'm planning. Time and labour intensive, that one.....
I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am....

Cheers,
Nick

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DMI-hand ... 744?ref=hl

colburge
Blackwood

Post by colburge » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:51 pm

nnickusa wrote:If you mean mine, Col, it was NZ Heart Rimu' from Christian. No pore filling required.

Love that. The pore filling has been a bit of a bother for me, but I've worked out a method with shellac and wet/dry paper that works for me. I think I'll forgo the epoxy as long as possible. Trying to find less toxic alternatives......

I have read a technique for pore filling using just shellac that keeps the pores clear, that I think I'm going to try on a blackwood parlour I'm planning. Time and labour intensive, that one.....
Yep, I was referring to you Nick, there are a couple of you on the forums aren't there. We may have to give you guys nicknames to identify you - oh wait you already have Nick names :?

Col