Dehumidifier brand, Model No#

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

luke_lee
Sassafras

Dehumidifier brand, Model No#

Post by luke_lee » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:29 am

Hi,
I am looking for a dehumidifer to control the humidity in a room inside my house (3m x 4m).
I had a look at a Dimplex GDDE20 and a Delonghi CF08E but they didn't seem to go lower than 50%.

Just wondering what brand and model No# other peolpe use.
Thanks Luke

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Re: Dehumidifier brand, Model No#

Post by jeffhigh » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:41 am

I'm using a Dimplex GDH-DEH30E.
I chose it because it had a better automatic range rather than the common down to 50.

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Post by liam_fnq » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:53 am

Same as Jeff. It's the only one I've had so not a lot to compare to. It gets a rattle up here and there. A harmonic vibration. It does my head in but the unit gets the job done fine.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:14 am

Mitsubishi used to market some good machines here in Australia but they no longer sell them here. You can get them in New Zealand.
Martin

steve roberts
Blackwood

Post by steve roberts » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:38 am

Hi Luke
I have a Dry Home dh24 works fantastically but expensive @ $800. I bought it from a company in Gladesville, Sydney - sorry can't remember the company name but if you look up Dry Home you should find them.
Regards Steve

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:19 pm

I bought a deLonghi DN125, second hand $84(never again), which worked brilliantly for 10 days then shat itself.

I have since ripped the bugger apart and wired the compressor direct to a plug and added an external fan($20)('cause the fan in the unit died after I wired that :x ) and a power point timer($6). After a day or two working on the timer, it keeps my little room at 40-50% RH, while only being on about half the time....

I wouldn't do it again. Buy a new one, experience of which I have none, and make sure it's got a good warranty. Costs just as much to fix the bastards as it does to buy a new one....Ask me how I know that????? :?
I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am....

Cheers,
Nick

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DMI-hand ... 744?ref=hl

Mike Thomas
Blackwood

Post by Mike Thomas » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:05 am

I have a DeLonghi CF08E, and it works very well. Although the lowest preset RH is 50%, there is a "Max" setting which easily gets the RH down to 40% in my small (6x3.5 metre) insulated workshop. However, here in Tasmania, for much of the year it is cool. For instance, this morning the outside temperature was about 13 deg., and RH was around 80%. Just by raising the temperature to a comfortable 18 deg. markedly reduces the RH, and the dehumidifier quickly has it down to the mid forties. The dehumidifier itself heats the air, probably around three or four degrees. How well it would work in a warm humid environment I don't know, but I suspect for really effective humidity control together with a comfortable working temperature, you would need a reverse cycle air conditioner as well.
Mike Thomas

"There are some enterprises in which a careful disorderliness is the true method"

mavie
Beefwood

Post by mavie » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:43 pm

LUKE_LEE wrote:Hi,
I am looking for a dehumidifer to control the humidity in a room inside my house (3m x 4m).
I had a look at a Dimplex GDDE20 and a Delonghi CF08E but they didn't seem to go lower than 50%.

Thanks Luke
I have this dehumidifier ionmax for about a year now , totally controls the humidity level in my room which is around 45%

http://www.productreview.com.au/p/ionmax-ion680.html

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:17 pm

mavie wrote:

Thanks Luke
I have this dehumidifier ionmax for about a year now , totally controls the humidity level in my room which is around 45%

"Daily Dehumidifying Rate : 600ML (30oC, 80% RH)"

This doesn't seem like a very high extraction rate. I'm in the Adelaide hills and my dehumidifier pulls quite a few litres out of the air during an average day. The unit is a small one but it's rated to remove around 20L/day.

Are you using your dehumidifer in a workshop or is it just in general use in your house?
Martin

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:27 pm

I have had the Delongie CF08m for a few years now, it has no way to set it so I just let it run until it gets to a bit under 50% [battles to get any lower]. When I want to maintain that % I have a timer attached that will cut in and out at a time sequence I have worked out so the machine is not running all the time. The water is directed down a hose and out the workshop.
Taff

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:31 pm

Oh! I forgot to mention, I also use a refrigerated A/C at times also. And as I get the worst of both extremes I have a portable evaporative cooler to raise the M/C at times.
Taff

Woodsy23
Blackwood

Post by Woodsy23 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:22 pm

Taffy wrote:
I have had the Delongie CF08m for a few years now, it has no way to set it so I just let it run until it gets to a bit under 50% [battles to get any lower]. When I want to maintain that % I have a timer attached that will cut in and out at a time sequence I have worked out so the machine is not running all the time.
I'm on my first acoustic build and recently bought a DeLonghi CF08m second hand for $50. I will be trying it in my makeshift "humidity controlled room" tonight. (Last night the natural humidity was sitting at exactly 45% as indicated by all 3 hygrometers).

If I set the humidity control to max, will the CF08m stay on all the time? If it does, I may have to use a timer like you. What on/off cycle times do you use? I am aware that the settings you use in north Queensland may not be appropriate for me in Sydney.
Richard

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:44 pm

I have a small second hand de-humidifier plugged in to this http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=265 in a small single room in my house (maybe 4 x 5). It has no problem keeping it between 40 and 42 RH. In summer I have to empty it almost every day (Gold Coast). Winter maybe once a fortnight. I don't keep my work area controlled but keep all my wood and work in progress in this room.
Jeremy D

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:57 am

Hi Woodsy, I think the unit does run all the time, I've never heard it cutting in and out like my Refrig A/C. After the unit had got my work area to 50% or so I turned it off to see how long it took for the M/C to climb, then turned it on to see how long it needed to get back to around 50%. At the time I think it was around one hour cycles. This was to leave it running all night. Not very scientific or accurate but saved on the power bill.

It's a crazy world, in the same week as getting 30mm + of rain, my workshop had gone down to 30% M/C so I had to run my humidifier :pissed
Taff

tim mullin

Post by tim mullin » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:51 pm

First of all, greetings from Kenya -- although I confess I'm currently back in New Zealand to see grand son #1. ANZLF won't give me access from Kenya, so I am sometimes months without visiting this place.

There was another thread on humidity management a year or so ago: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4676. I described my set up in a few posts through the thread. I found that humidity controllers on dehumidifiers were hopeless, and those bathroom fan controllers are even worse. I bit the bullet and built one with higher-grade parts. It lets me program the humidity at which the dehumidifier comes on and that when it shuts off (so it's not cycling back and forth rapidly). From the calibration I've done, the humidistat is surprisingly accurate. I plugged a manual Delonghi CF08M to it (picked up from Trademe) and that was running my wood room for 5 years or so, before being packed off to Nairobi last Christmas.

We also have an electronic CF08E, but it wouldn't cycle on a simple humidistat. The electronic version survived the trip to Kenya, but the compressor on the manual unit died (probably the result of a voltage surge -- a common occurrence there -- now protected against that, as are all computers, TVs, refrigerators, etc. in our house). I went inside the electronics of the CF08E and shorted out the built in controller, so it now works from my controller. My new wood room is actually a spare bathroom attached to our family room. The dehum drains into the tub, and my go-bar deck lives on the bathroom counter. Some pics in my last blog entry at http://www.mullinguitars.com

mavie
Beefwood

Post by mavie » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:25 pm

kiwigeo wrote:
mavie wrote:

Thanks Luke

This doesn't seem like a very high extraction rate. I'm in the Adelaide hills and my dehumidifier pulls quite a few litres out of the air during an average day. The unit is a small one but it's rated to remove around 20L/day.

Are you using your dehumidifer in a workshop or is it just in general use in your house?
I just use it in the house particularly in the laundry area, sometimes i use it to dry clothes as well. :)

mavie
Beefwood

Post by mavie » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:03 pm

kiwigeo wrote:
mavie wrote:

Thanks Luke

ohh i'm sorry my figures was wrong, that's correct 80%RH 600ml for my unit, just for house use