Plans/hints for a thin body cutaway cross-over nylon guitar?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

simonm
Blackwood

Plans/hints for a thin body cutaway cross-over nylon guitar?

Post by simonm » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:41 pm

I was very taken by the Aranjuez Stage Nouveaux when I tried one about a year ago. Just recently I have been toying with doing something of that type in a year or two. Anyone know of plans that might suit? Basically a thin bodied nylon strung with a good un-amped sound. Versatile enough to play classical to jazz and singer accompaniment.

What helps with amping a nylon string? I seem to recall someone saying that braces are better left squared off if using electronic? No idea if that is true. Fan, falcate, ladder or lattice. That is yet another question.

Thanks.

ozwood
Blackwood

Re: Plans/hints for a thin body cutaway cross-over nylon gui

Post by ozwood » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:20 am

Hi Simon,

I have only built one stage nylon, it gets gigged with regularly and works well , no feedback and a very natural sound , it works well accousticaly, but there is always a compromise between making a responsive guitar and a stage guitar , I am yet to see one that is perfect at both, anyway for what it's worth have a look at the one I built and take from it what you will.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=3726&hilit=nylon

cheers,

Paul.
Paul .

simonm
Blackwood

Post by simonm » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:48 pm

Thanks for that. Very interesting looking. Looks like the philosophy there is to have an very rigid body? Does that imply that you went with a very thin top?

ozwood
Blackwood

Post by ozwood » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:37 am

Hi Simon,

The top was around 2.6 mm from memory , it was swiss spruce ... the theory was more about only have the top working around the bridge , it had a dead back and stiffened sides all in an effort to try and reduce the compromise between responsiveness and feedback resistance, this guitar is used for contemprorary songs writing in a full band situation , as well as song writing.

The Customer loves it so I guess it does it's job.

Cheers,
Paul .