Dust Extractor Bin

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Graham Long
Blackwood

Dust Extractor Bin

Post by Graham Long » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:47 pm

Hi,
I've just been given a 200L clip top plastic drum with the thought of making a bin to catch the larger items before they go through my Dust Extractor.
Would be grateful for any assistance on the best way to make it.
Cheers
Graham

Graham Long
Blackwood

Re: Dust Extractor Bin

Post by Graham Long » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:18 am

Well, didn't get many (opps any) :D responses to that then. Must be a boring subject.

I've been looking at different types of cyclones and like the reports on the Dust Deputy one.
My idea is to put one of them on top of the 200L drum so very little Dust and no larger particulates actually get into the Dust Extractor so near full vacuum can be maintained to the machinery and have a much longer period between emptyings.

And the added bonus that it can be used as a floor vacuum cleaner without the risk of damaging the internal fan from a foreign body

http://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD.as ... F28583241B}

Would anyone be interested in a group buy of these?

Cheers
Graham

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:59 am

Hey Graham,
I don't have a photo but have seen an easy way to deal with this idea. Simply run your hose into the top, and then run another out into the dust extractor. I'd guess a baffle or filter over the outlet would help quite a bit. You know, like the foam filters on a wet/dry vac.....

I suppose the size of your extractor motor will have a lot to do with how you proceed.....
I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am....

Cheers,
Nick

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DMI-hand ... 744?ref=hl

steve_I
Beefwood

Post by steve_I » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:21 am

Chuckie wrote:Hi,
I've just been given a 200L clip top plastic drum with the thought of making a bin to catch the larger items before they go through my Dust Extractor.
Would be grateful for any assistance on the best way to make it.
Cheers
Graham
Hi Graham,

I don't know whether this is the type of thing you are looking for but you could have a look at The Thien Cyclone Separator Lid
w/ the Thien Cyclone Separator Baffle
Thien_Full.jpg
Thien_Full.jpg (20.29 KiB) Viewed 7904 times
Thien_lid.jpg
Thien_lid.jpg (16.9 KiB) Viewed 7904 times
Regards,
Steve.

Graham Long
Blackwood

Post by Graham Long » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:35 am

Hi Steve,
Thanks for that, I'll get some fittings together and make one up. Will be a whole lot cheaper than too.
I'll let you know how it goes
Thanks again
Graham

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:29 am

Chuckie wrote:Well, didn't get many (opps any) :D responses to that then. Must be a boring subject.

I've been looking at different types of cyclones and like the reports on the Dust Deputy one.
My idea is to put one of them on top of the 200L drum so very little Dust and no larger particulates actually get into the Dust Extractor so near full vacuum can be maintained to the machinery and have a much longer period between emptyings.

And the added bonus that it can be used as a floor vacuum cleaner without the risk of damaging the internal fan from a foreign body

http://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD.as ... F28583241B}

Would anyone be interested in a group buy of these?

Cheers
Graham
I'm in the process of incorporating a dust deputy cyclone onto a Festool CT22 vacuum. Dust Deputy actually make a precollection system for Festool vacs, but @ + 1K, they're rather exie... :roll:

So I went out and found a 68lt, open top 'steel' drum with sealed snap lock lid and made a base for it so it can be latched onto the Festool vac utilizing their systainer clip system. I am still doing pipe work and paint etc, but preliminary test using the small DIY Dust Deputy appear to indicate that a 200lt plastic drum may not handle the suction...i.e. when I blocked off the intake hose with the palm of my hand the steel drum lid onto which the DD is mounted buckled in.. :shock: A bit of reinforcement will have that sorted. But if the drum were plastic, I reckon it's sides would have certainly collapsed in when under that same load.

BTW I've read the sides of the plastic box that sits on top of the festo vac in the image above are in fact 19mm thick. That bit of info is what had inspired me to go with a steel drum.

Cheers

Kim

Graham Long
Blackwood

Post by Graham Long » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:56 pm

Hi Kim,
Thanks for the Chime in.
My intention was to use a 2HP Carbatec Dust extractor as the vacuum source. Not sure what pressure/vacuum it can go down to, and I hadn't really considered that the 200 L clip top plastic Drum would collapse on me. However, I'll take your advise and try the Dust Extractor on the drum with a closed head and just see what happens.
I'll let you know

Cheers
Graham