Goodbye Go Bar 1 Model 2

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

TimS
ANZLF Approved Supplier

Goodbye Go Bar 1 Model 2

Post by TimS » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:11 pm

If you have an aversion to aluminium read no further!

This particular bracing option would be used in conjunction with a poly carbonate template to correctly locate the braces. However there plenty of options if you want to vary the location of each brace. The x-brace point is adjustable and the each of the minor brace legs can be moved along the x-brace and angled as required. While I have abraded the minor brace leg ends (where it connects to the x-brace) to match a preferred angle , you could either make additional legs or wedge the leg to get the preferred angle. Not pictured in this post would be a board that would retain the aluminium extrusion and resist any vertical pressure as you rotated the feet on the threaded stems on the underside.
TS-BJ-2a.jpg
TS-BJ-2b.jpg
TS-BJ-2c.jpg
TS-BJ-2d.jpg
TS-BJ-2e.jpg
[url]http://www.australiantonewoods.com[/url]

Kamusur
Blackwood

Re: Goodbye Go Bar 1 Model 2

Post by Kamusur » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:45 pm

Tim are you making this for a lefty or a righty?

Steve

TimS
ANZLF Approved Supplier

Post by TimS » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:00 pm

I think you would simply flip it or locate the non-symmetrical components on the opposite x-brace leg.

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:13 pm

:D Looks like your having too much fun making jigs to get any guitar work done Tim.

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

TimS
ANZLF Approved Supplier

Post by TimS » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:53 pm

Not quite. 2 Triple "0"s, 4 Tenor ukes and a classical by the end of September! Rather than keep it in my pocket I thought i would share the lutherian love!

Kev3
Blackwood

Post by Kev3 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:40 am

Looks like a few $$ worth of aluminium there !
In actual use - do you make it all up according to the plan for braces, then try and get all of them in place in one go before clamping it down ? Or can you slot in a piece at a time?
My first thought was you'd need to work pretty fast to get things lined up, but those that use vacuum jigs must be in the same boat.
Kevin

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:50 am

No worries Tim you have it all covered and don't imagine those braces will slide around much when your clamping them up.

Steve

TimS
ANZLF Approved Supplier

Post by TimS » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:02 am

In operation the x-brace goes down first , then the assembly goes over the top. As the feet (nutserts) are elevated, you can then place each minor brace into position then wind down the foot. The only urgency is clamping the x-brace. Cost wise the System 30 T-Slot extrusions was about $90 and the nuts/bolts were about $50. Extrusions of this type in Australia are about $35 per metre and $10 in the US. With USPS shipping via a friend you could probably get it for $17 - $20 but it is inly a small quantity anyway. I could have use t-slot bolts but they are quite expensive at about $2 per piece. I would suggest that a slimmer extrusion might be more appropriate for the minor braces in terms of access, but the jigs seems to work fine.