Bandsaw problems

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

steve_I
Beefwood

Re: Bandsaw problems

Post by steve_I » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:10 am

Hi all,

been following this discussion re: Laguna/Driftmaster/Resaw King and had a few comments.

The Driftmaster fence uses 1/2" mounting bolts and so you you may have to drill out the mounting holes on your table to take the bolts (the current holes are just under 10mm on a 14 SUV). I considered getting this fence but the mod is permanent. The mounting bolts on the original fence are 8mm and I didn't know whether I could re-mount the original fence once the holes were drilled out. It was also a lot of money in Australia to buy the Driftmaster and high fence. The original fence doesn't have a great set up for adjusting drift angle. The Driftmaster is also a very large fence system - you could use it on a LT 14 SUV but there would be a lot of overhang off the smallish table on the 14 SUV - would probably suit a bandsaw with a larger table better.
There is a good vid of Les Stansell re-sawing using this fence on a Laguna LT-20 on youtube athttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifW30tIJQMg.

I had a Kreg Bandsaw fence off my previous Jet 14 that I fitted - no mods to the table required and just one additional hole need to be drilled in the fence mounting rail. I also had a long piece of Kreg L-Beam off a Kreg Mitre fence that I wasn't using. Added a high fence and some re-enforcement as per:
IMG_0965.jpg
IMG_0967.jpg
When I don't want to use the high fence it just come straight off and the original shorter Kreg L-Beam goes back on for everyday use.

I've only done a few test cuts so far with a Laguna Shear force blade but all seems to work well - a little bit of "barrelling" to the cut - I think I have to play around with the drift angle a little to get a completely vertical cut. Tested it with a piece of Miva Mahogany I had laying around.
IMG_0972.jpg
IMG_0974.jpg
Steve.

simso
Blackwood

Post by simso » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:13 am

Nice setup,
Steve
Master of nothing,

Do your own repairs - http://www.mirwa.com.au/How_to_Series.html

rocket
Blackwood

Post by rocket » Fri May 02, 2014 6:22 pm

Whilst on the subject of bandsaws i'm interested to know if anyone has upgraded their 14" Carbatec bandsaw's guide assembly, i see Lee valley have after market assemblies to suit Jet but the Canadians wouldn't have heard of the lower end stuff Carbatec is putting out so isn't mentioned in their catalogue, just wondering if anyone has upgraded??
Rod.
Like I said before the crash, " Hit the bloody thing, it won't hit ya back

www.octiganguitars.com

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sat May 03, 2014 12:58 pm

If you can get ceramic replacements to fit Rod I would go with that.

http://www.spaceageceramicguideblocks.com/

These are a really good product and Nick is a great bloke to deal with.

Cheers

Kim