Bandsaw problems

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

zendo
Myrtle

Bandsaw problems

Post by zendo » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:00 am

Hello All,

I am getting really tired of my el-cheapo Machinery House bandsaw breaking down... some have suggested Carbatec but it looks the same to me - another Chinese cheapo... any ideas welcomed....

colburge
Blackwood

Re: Bandsaw problems

Post by colburge » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:15 pm

You are right, they are pretty much the same thing, including the Jet and Sheppach. I want to buy a new one to replace my hand built and was thinking about the hammer n4400, I think someone on the forum got one recently, not sure.

http://www.felder-group-australia.com/a ... n4400.html

Col

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:34 pm

These are supposed to be the ducks nuts http://www.gregmach.com/Machinery/Bandsaws/LT14SUV.html.
Jeremy D

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:10 pm

BBK hit the nail on the head.

I've actually ordered one of these saws and if you're serious about wanting a decent saw I'd say order one pretty quick as all of them n the country have sold out, there is a shipping container of them coming at the moment which is also all sold out, then theres another shipping container again which will be here end of september (which mine will be in) which guess what, nearly all sold out

They're in the similar price range to the Carbatec bandsaws but with ten times the quality.

I own a cheap ledacraft, I looked at the better ledacraft ones and decided they're just as "chinese" as the carbatec ones, which I have tested trying to bookmatch and they stil have a fair bit of wander in them.

A friend of mine owns a Laguna 14 SUV, he has the resaw king blade fitted and can successfully cut veneer on it. The thing is that good.

68matts
Blackwood

Post by 68matts » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:37 pm

These are supposed to be the ducks nuts http://www.gregmach.com/Machinery/Bandsaws/LT14SUV.html.

Ozwood recently bought one of those, I think he's pretty happy with it viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5108&p=59241#p59241
Matt

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:55 pm

I also purchased one at the suggestion of Paul and members of the forum. In the same crate as Allan's

Stu

peter.coombe
Blackwood

Post by peter.coombe » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:47 pm

I have a Hammer N4400. It is ok, but in my opinion is not the ducks nuts. Took a lot of fiddling to get working right, but it does the job. Mine has a 4hp motor, so has plenty of grunt.
Peter Coombe - mandolin, mandola and guitar maker
http://www.petercoombe.com

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:28 pm

The 4400 was also on my list with a couple others but the laguna really stood out for the resaw purpose.

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:30 pm

Just a heads up -

The LT14SUV is also made in CHINA...

I would not be overly concerned on place of manufacture so much as the unit itself. China and Taiwan make some very nice machines these days - and some European machines are not what you would expect for the price.

Just choose wisely for your needs and put some effort into setting it up properly and purchasing a decent blade.

Jeremy.

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:15 am

J.F. Custom wrote: China and Taiwan make some very nice machines these days - and some European machines are not what you would expect for the price.
That's the thing about Chinese manufacture, they get a bad rap because of the low budget work coming out of the country but it's not necessarily their fault, they make to a budget & that's the standard/budget level the distributors order because they know they'll be able to shift more units from the showroom floor. If the distributor ordered top end equipment, they'd get it & it would be of comparable standard to any European sourced gear. The Chinese have some wonderfully accurate production machinery that is more than capable of producing top end product if you want to pay for it, mind you, the distributor would have to keep an eye on production as the Chinese are masters of 'swapping' out quality components for cheaper stuff to enhance their profit margins without asking if it's ok to do so!
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:27 pm

I had what I thought was a bandsaw problem yesterday. My 17" Carbatech has been idle for a year or two (can't remember exactly how long) it has just been taking up space as I use my old 12" mostly. Anyway a guy turned up to buy it, all looked good, wound it over a few times by hand to make sure all was good then started it up. About 3 seconds after it hit full speed....CRUNCH!!!! so I hit the red button to find that the top tyre had spat the dummy. No problem though the guy still bought it cause he is tired of butchering his killers by hand. Don't let your saw sit too long without use I suppose.

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

bigrusty
Gidgee

Post by bigrusty » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:44 am

The best solution I've come up with is to make my own. I will try to add photos. I bought the plans from Matthias Wandel http://woodgears.ca/bandsaw/homemade.html
I altered mine to be set up primarily for re-sawing. I can re-saw up to 11.5" and it has a 15.5" throat. I am still working out the bugs. I have added blade guards since these photos were taken. Right now it has a 3/4 HP motor which isn't powerful enough. I am looking for an affordable 1 to 1.5 HP motor to replace it.
Attachments
bandsaw progress 007 edit.jpg
bandsaw progress 009 edit.jpg
bandsaw progress  12 edit.jpg

Stephen Kinnaird
Blackwood

Post by Stephen Kinnaird » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:37 pm

DarwinStrings wrote: About 3 seconds after it hit full speed....CRUNCH!!!! so I hit the red button to find that the top tyre had spat the dummy. No problem though the guy still bought it cause he is tired of butchering his killers by hand. Don't let your saw sit too long without use I suppose.

Jim
One of the things I love about this place is the side-benefit of learning English. Proper English.
Like "...spat the dummy". Or, "...butchering his killers by hand". Gotta love it. Also gotta ask, what in the world did you just say?
TIA,

Steve
There are some great woods, down under!

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:14 pm

Ha!....."Spat the dummy" a dummy is a babies pacifier and to spit it out is like giving up, breaking down, bursting into tears if you like :)

A "killer" is a beast you don't keep or sell live, one of your live stock that is destined for the butchers knife.

I put a bit of plastic pipe sort of under the table on the saw so that very little dust escaped, the fella said he won't need that as he uses his dogs for "dust" extraction.

Jim
Jim Schofield

Stephen Kinnaird
Blackwood

Post by Stephen Kinnaird » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:49 am

Thanks Jim! Much fun. :moo :moo
Also, where else can one post a waving cow?

Steve
There are some great woods, down under!

Clancy
Blackwood

Post by Clancy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:24 pm

Impressive work, & welcome, Rusty.
Looks like we've got another 'charangohabsburg' in our mob. :D
Craig
I'm not the sharpest tool in my shed

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:27 am

Anyone get their Laguna's yet? Mine is still not in.

Will be calling when the shop opens for an update as I was told late sept. Today being first of Oct and I want my bandsaw (spoilt stroppy child voice!)

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:54 pm

Rather than make a new post, I'll add to the previous Laguna discussion

Arrived today. This pic taken after I pulled it out of the crate:

After Assembly:

Big pain in the butt is that this thing has finally come into the country, but the blades are on backorder! So I have this awesome bandsaw and no blade! What a tease!

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:49 pm

Congratulations on your new purchase Allan, maybe you could just buy a blade from Henry Bros and have them overnight bag it to you.

Jim
Jim Schofield

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:00 pm

Mine arrived a few weeks back. Just ordered the blades from the States 2 x (3/4 inch wood slicer resaw blades) blades ended up costing $138 USD inc. postage.

Paul (Ozwood) and a whole bunch of other woodworking forums suggested the wood slicer blades for resawing compared to some of the super duper $150-250 blades. Tungsten carbide bandsaw blades be an expensive beast...I figured I'd check these ones out as they get a good wrap...

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:28 pm

Lenox Woodmaster carbide tipped is $170 from Henry Brothers.

Sensational re-sawing blade.

Regards
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:45 pm

I've already bought and paid for the resaw king blade. I think it'll be in next week. I'm busy with all the other builds I have on to finish at the moment so waiting on one saw blade won't kill me.

needsmorecowbel
Blackwood

Post by needsmorecowbel » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:04 pm

Thanks Bob I'll keep that in mind for future

Stu

J.F. Custom
Blackwood

Post by J.F. Custom » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:34 am

Hey Stu.

The woodslicer blades are good - but limited. Probably not what you want to hear at this point!! :roll:

They do a fantastic job and are unsurpassed for minimal waste with the thinnest kerf I am aware of. They do cut the timber like butter. I use them for maximising return on small pieces or especially rare timber. However, this comes at the cost of longevity. They do not hold their edge very well. Just how long of course depends on what you are cutting and how much use you give it.

The Lennox Carbide blades I used to have to import. Now that Henry Bros stock them, I've got my last couple from there. They do have a thicker kerf, but hold their edge for far longer. The longevity of the blade and amount of work you can put through it far outweighs the extra initial expense.

Allan - as already mentioned, I'd recommend going through Henry Bros as well. Easy to order over the phone and they get it made and sent in pretty quick fashion. Their blades are good quality - or at least, they have a variety of quality levels available and prices are good. Nevertheless, if you are happy to wait for your blade already purchased, that's understandable.

Best of luck with the new machines guys. Enjoy.

Jeremy.

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:36 am

There's a bloke here in Geelong who will sharpen The Lenox carbide tipped blade for $50 (which is about what the blokes in the States are paying for a sharpen)

I talked to him a few weeks back and he said if you put the plastic blade protector that came with the blade back on it and send it to him in a plastic post pack (with a self addressed post pack enclosed) he'll sharpen it and mail it back to you.

Website is http://www.universaltoolsharpening.com.au

His name is Greg and phone is 0400885686

He reckons he can get two sharpens out of a blade.

He did one for me and it is fine.

Regards
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars