Ebay buyers beware

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Ebay buyers beware

Post by Tod Gilding » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:57 pm

Those who buy luthiery items on ebay should beware a seller based in Vietnam. his store called "Antoniotsai's Guitar&Mandolin Art"

and trading as " inlaidartist " I purchased a couple of nuts and saddle blanks that he advertised as Buffalo horn, I had never seen buffalo horn so was curious to see it.
It arrived today and I found ABS plastic blanks , when I contacted him he told me "no this is buffalo you can burn one and you will see that it burns and does not melt "

I replied that I am sure he is aware that Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS) is a common thermoplastic. Its glass transition temperature is approximately 105 °C (221 °F). ABS is amorphous and therefore has no true melting point.

he apparently has Fake Ebony (According to his negative feed back )as well I just wonder if he asks people to burn their fret boards in an attempt to prove that it is Ebony :)

He also sells MOP dot inlay that looks a lot like Celluloid.
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

Ormsby Guitars

Re: Ebay buyers beware

Post by Ormsby Guitars » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:26 pm

I worked on a friends "gift" guitar that was built by this guy. Terrible terrible terrible.

I couldnt radius the fretboard (was all over the place) because the shell was too thin. You could see through it.

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:49 pm

:lol: He is now blaming his supplier for ripping him off. that's the way pass the blame.

I have seen a video of the guitars being made over there at what must be 100 % RH, they are then shipped to buyers in Australia who wonder why their new guitar has cracked. Mean while the honest Aussie luthier doing it the right way loses another sale. :(
Tod

Music is everyone's posession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.
John Lennon

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Post by liam_fnq » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:08 pm

Whoa, I had a bit of a panic and then had a brilliant idea. I've just come back from torching my whole stash and can now confirm that it is (was) all real timber. I feel much better now. 8)

Tod Gilding
Blackwood

Post by Tod Gilding » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:45 pm

OK Liam, but which stash exactly did you burn. was it burnt between tally ho papers :mrgreen:
Tod

John Lennon

Ormsby Guitars

Post by Ormsby Guitars » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:27 pm

Tod Gilding wrote::lol: He is now blaming his supplier for ripping him off. that's the way pass the blame.

I have seen a video of the guitars being made over there at what must be 100 % RH, they are then shipped to buyers in Australia who wonder why their new guitar has cracked. Mean while the honest Aussie luthier doing it the right way loses another sale. :(
Well, not really. Anyone wanting a guitar for $100 is going to have trouble finding an Aussie built one :)

Ormsby Guitars

Post by Ormsby Guitars » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:27 pm

Ormsby Guitars wrote:
Tod Gilding wrote::lol: He is now blaming his supplier for ripping him off. that's the way pass the blame.

Well, not really. Anyone wanting a guitar for $100 is going to have trouble finding an Aussie built one :)

WHOOOAAA Just saw on ebay they are $800-2500. CRAZY