New member Fijian Mahogan( Sweitenia) and curly maple,ebony

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

trautsman
Wandoo

New member Fijian Mahogan( Sweitenia) and curly maple,ebony

Post by trautsman » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:12 pm

Hi Trautsman here, I am a new member , been lurking around a bit.I am looking for source of sweitenia for necks,
a one piece.
And curly maple for a 5 piece neck, with two 2mm ebony laminates .
Hope there are New Zealand sources.
Any thoughts
Trautsman
Sincerely
Trautsman

demonx
Blackwood

Re: New member Fijian Mahogan( Sweitenia) and curly maple,eb

Post by demonx » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:21 pm

There was a guy in NSW who had a container load of the stuff and was selling individual blanks. His website looks like its down, but if you google Fiji Mahogany Blanks, you may be able to find some way to contact him

I know I've bought 3m planks of the stuff from Melboure, but thats no help if you're only looking for single blanks and I have none left to offer.

trautsman
Wandoo

Post by trautsman » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:37 pm

I should add that it's for acoustic not electric ,and I want to include the heel as solid not laminated.
Thanks
trautsman :D
Sincerely
Trautsman

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:57 pm

You say you hope there are New Zealand sources so I take it from this that you are in Un Zud? ( you didn't say in your initial post).
Why Fijian Mahog specifically? As far as I'm concerned Sapele is an admirable replacement for 'proper' mahogany (sweitenia Macrophyla) and in plentiful supply in the shakey Isles. If it is Fijian you want for a specific reason then you could try BBS Timbers, if they don't stock it they can either get it for you or tell you who has got it.
As for curly maple, I've sometimes gotten Maple boards from BBS ( or Timspecs) that has a curly figure in it once I've cleaned the faces up but mostly it has to be imported from the states.

And welcome to the forum by the way.....which ever side of the ditch you are on :D
"Jesus Loves You."
Nice to hear in church but not in a Mexican prison.

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:38 pm

I was also curious why the Fiji as opposed to others available.

Yes I'm aware that Fiji is meant to be grown as "true" mahogany, but the board lengths I have used from two different sources left me looking back at African Mahogany.

The African was heavier to hold than fiji mahogany (yet is lighter than true) and is darker in color.

Just my observation that Fiji is not a close replacement to true mahog even if it is sold as such. Might have just been the lengths that I bought, but as I said, I have purchased from two different suppliers.

trautsman
Wandoo

Post by trautsman » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:40 pm

Sorry ,Yep from NZ.Fiji has plantation Sweitenia Macrophyllia that was planted after WW2 ,now being harvested. I've use real Hondruas once,on a superyacht.Its beautiful to work and sable as.I not really a fan of Sapele,My uncle had a reproduction furniture business making the "Queen Anne" stuff.Yeah not really a fan. I'd like to make the neck in solid mahogany on piece or Maple similar to this with the ebony,but I'd need to source the ebony as well.[img]http://imageshack.us/a/img542/2044/7uym ... 7/7s0o.jpg[/img][/img]
Sincerely
Trautsman

trautsman
Wandoo

Post by trautsman » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:44 pm

Sorry, thats better .One of my T3's by Ted Thompson
Sincerely
Trautsman

Ormsby Guitars

Post by Ormsby Guitars » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:02 pm

Fijian Mahogany, whilst being the same species of Honduran/Brazilian, certainly isnt the same to work with, nor does it sound the same. I have a fair bit of both: One is used when people have a budget. One is for those that dont.

Kamusur
Blackwood

Post by Kamusur » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:03 pm

G'day there Trauts, i may be missing but something but it doesn't look like M/hog to me in those pictures of the neck.
Allan and Perry are right too about the timber, there is seller in Sydneys' west who keeps Fiji/Plantation hog but it also looks nothing like other samples i have, purchased as a laminated neck blank and so on, i wouldn't use the Fiji plant hog that i saw.

Steve

trautsman
Wandoo

Post by trautsman » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:22 pm

Sorry once again ,I have not made myself clear......
One style neck would be solid Sweitenia mahoagany 3'' BY 4'' BY 30'' I suppose you could get 2 necks out of that.I dont have a pictue of it.
And the second in Flamed/curly maple,Ebony,1/4 maple,ebony f/curly maple 5 piece lay up.
Sincerely
Trautsman

trautsman
Wandoo

Post by trautsman » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:41 pm

demonx wrote:I was also curious why the Fiji as opposed to others available.

Yes I'm aware that Fiji is meant to be grown as "true" mahogany, but the board lengths I have used from two different sources left me looking back at African Mahogany.

The African was heavier to hold than fiji mahogany (yet is lighter than true) and is darker in color.

Just my observation that Fiji is not a close replacement to true mahog even if it is sold as such. Might have just been the lengths that I bought, but as I said, I have purchased from two different suppliers.
I actually found the website here on this site ,I just wondered if anybody had used it here is a link nad they say it has different grades
http://www.fijimahogany.com/grades.htm
Sincerely
Trautsman

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:51 pm

A guy I had working with me for a while bought some neck and body blanks from fijimahoganyblanks.

Its exactly as I described before, nothing like swi mahog. Its lighter color, lighter weight. Same as the planks I bought in melb and never bought again.

You have to remember that the geographical location changes greatly the way a timber grows, so even if Fiji is grown with the same seed as true mahog, its not going to be the same

lauburu
Blackwood

Post by lauburu » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:09 pm

If you're quick, this guys selling SI ebony. Slightly more than you need but maybe he'd do you a deal?
Miguel

Trevor Gore
Blackwood

Post by Trevor Gore » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:25 pm

I got some Fijian mahogany (Swietenia Macrophylla) from Anagote. It tested out for Young's modulus and density right in the middle of the range for Honduras. The stuff I had was on the lighter coloured side of things, but again, within the normal range. It sun tans pretty quickly and darkens under finish. Works about the same. Not quite the same shimmer on the quarter as some of the Honduras I've had, but it works just fine for classical necks and end blocks.

trautsman
Wandoo

Post by trautsman » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:23 pm

lauburu wrote:If you're quick, this guys selling SI ebony. Slightly more than you need but maybe he'd do you a deal?
Miguel

Psssss! Hey yah you! Which is the gizzer selling or iss iiit som otha gizzer? said in a very london accent :lol: :lol:
Sincerely
Trautsman

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:30 am

ok, I'm home from work now so I can post a couple pics.

Here is the back of a body (top is colored) that is Fiji Mahogany:

Here is the back of a body (top is blackwood) that is African Mahogany:

Both have the same clear, the African mahogany is darker, heavier and more like true Mahogany, even though genetically the Fiji is closer.

lauburu
Blackwood

Post by lauburu » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:46 am

Which is the gizzer selling or iss iiit som otha gizzer?
Don't quite understand the question but I think you're asking if I'm the seller. I'm not the seller nor do I know the seller.
Miguel

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:10 am

trautsman wrote: Psssss! Hey yah you! Which is the gizzer selling or iss iiit som otha gizzer? said in a very london accent :lol: :lol:

The proper name is Geezer and otha is pronounced uver :wink: (Ex Londoner speaking here)
"Jesus Loves You."

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:34 am

Sounds like some is pithed...
Martin

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:44 am

Nick wrote:
trautsman wrote: Psssss! Hey yah you! Which is the gizzer selling or iss iiit som otha gizzer? said in a very london accent :lol: :lol:

The proper name is Geezer and otha is pronounced uver :wink: (Ex Londoner speaking here)
Cor blimey Guvna, I never knew you were from Old Blighty, were you born wivin the sound of the Bow Bells?

Jim
Life is good when you are amongst the wood.
Jim Schofield

Nick
Blackwood

Post by Nick » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:41 pm

DarwinStrings wrote:Cor blimey Guvna, I never knew you were from Old Blighty, were you born wivin the sound of the Bow Bells?

Jim
Not quite me old China, I was born just outside of Central London but me dear old mum is a "true" Bow Bellian, not that you'd know it if you heard her rabbit. Came out to Un Zud when I was a young gawd forbid so probably I'm more Kiwi than Pome bastard. :wink:
"Jesus Loves You."