David Churchill

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Re: David Churchill

Post by Dennis Leahy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:45 am

That Ziricote wood looks absolutely awful! It is so dark, and has all those wiggly black lines in it. Some "master luthier" this guy is! He should have bleached the wood to a nice blonde color, and used some wiggle remover (hair straightener) to tame those lines.

Other than that, it looks OK.

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:45 am

Dennis Leahy wrote:That Ziricote wood looks absolutely awful! It is so dark, and has all those wiggly black lines in it. Some "master luthier" this guy is! He should have bleached the wood to a nice blonde color, and used some wiggle remover (hair straightener) to tame those lines.

Dennis
I actually bought the Back, Sides and Fingerboard and took them to David to ask if he'd build me a guitar. He may have been able to find better pieces, who knows, but I'm pretty happy with the way these ones turned out!

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:48 am

charangohabsburg wrote:Looks great, and seems to be very versatile with its second function as an emergency mirror for shaving at backstage. 8)
demonx wrote:Its a 2k finish. Top was only masked up as it was sprayed at a different time. I asked about it myself but David had his reasons for his own process. Each to their own, whatever works.
It would be cool to know why it works better for him.
No big mystical thing, he just prefers to spray with the guitar laid flat, so breaks it up into multiple sessions.

I've got eleven guitars being built in my workshop at the moment, I hang and spray the things all at once. I'd hate to think of all the extra work/time spraying them all in sections. I'd never get anything finished!

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:13 am

You can tell by the cutaway that it is for an electric guitar guy :).

I am building a zircote L00 for a friend, really looking forward to it. Stunning wood.
Jeremy D

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:14 am

Jeremy D wrote:You can tell by the cutaway that it is for an electric guitar guy :).

I am building a zircote L00 for a friend, really looking forward to it. Stunning wood.
That is actually Davids standard cutaway

Jeremy D
Admin

Post by Jeremy D » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:31 am

demonx wrote:
Jeremy D wrote:You can tell by the cutaway that it is for an electric guitar guy :).

Sorry I wasn't picking on your cutaway. Its just that electric guitar guys always want a cutaway. Where as an acoustic guitar guy will usually not choose that option (not always of course). I was just poking fun :)
Jeremy D

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:31 am

demonx wrote:No big mystical thing, he just prefers to spray with the guitar laid flat, so breaks it up into multiple sessions. [...]
Thanks! It was exactly that kind of information I was expecting.
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:36 pm

demonx wrote:
Dennis Leahy wrote:That Ziricote wood looks absolutely awful! It is so dark, and has all those wiggly black lines in it. Some "master luthier" this guy is! He should have bleached the wood to a nice blonde color, and used some wiggle remover (hair straightener) to tame those lines.

Dennis
I actually bought the Back, Sides and Fingerboard and took them to David to ask if he'd build me a guitar. He may have been able to find better pieces, who knows, but I'm pretty happy with the way these ones turned out!
Sorry, I guess I shouldn't try to insert satirical humor. I was joking - saying the opposite of what I felt. The wood, and the guitar, are gorgeous, and obviously built by masterful hands. :~)

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:53 pm

Dennis Leahy wrote:
demonx wrote:

Dennis
Sorry, I guess I shouldn't try to insert satirical humor. I was joking - saying the opposite of what I felt. The wood, and the guitar, are gorgeous, and obviously built by masterful hands. :~)

Dennis
I got it - I was just adding related info

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:54 pm

Jeremy D wrote:
demonx wrote:

Sorry I wasn't picking on your cutaway. Its just that electric guitar guys always want a cutaway. Where as an acoustic guitar guy will usually not choose that option (not always of course). I was just poking fun :)
Well I am an electric guy, I spend a lot of the time above the 12th fret

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:13 pm

Quick video of my Birthday present.

No pics as yet, but I'll get there soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QQpbxU ... e=youtu.be

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:22 pm

That video with amplification, eq, reverb and feedback does not do justice to your builder.
It could be a $200 Martinez
How about a purely acoustic demo?

demonx
Blackwood

Post by demonx » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:18 pm

I sold all my recording gear years ago when I was going through some hard times, only recording gear I have is a mobile phone, which also does no justice.

I didn't create a patch in the pedal board for the acoustic, I plugged into a premade patch which is for electric, yet another thing which does no justice